PDA

View Full Version : Internet conection speed

Nistenf
October 11th, 2007, 06:07 PM
The purpose of this thread is to know what Internet conetion do you have. And I would like to know too where do you live, just for know an average based on countries.

My conection: this month I have 2mb/256kb, after this month it'll be 1mb/256kb.
I live in Argentina.

PriceChild
October 11th, 2007, 06:16 PM
18mb/1.3mb for £18 a month (free hire of modem, static ip and no contract)

(should be "up to 24" but i'm not close enough)

ViRMiN
October 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM
At the moment I'm on an 8Mbps broadband connection but am migrating to a different service offering upto 24Mbps download speed! Whooosh! Both are unlimited.

Actually, I think PriceChild's already with who I'm going for given the clues in the posting ;)

PriceChild
October 11th, 2007, 06:22 PM
At the moment I'm on an 8Mbps broadband connection but am migrating to a different service offering upto 24Mbps download speed! Whooosh! Both are unlimited.

Actually, I think PriceChild's already with who I'm going for given the clues in the posting ;)They've just slashed their prices... I only got online with them today (only 6 days wait for modem and activation) and thought ()*£(&£$&^ they've stitched me up... I'm going to be paying old price.............. but no! They'll rebate all existing customers and are giving the mew features :D

You're going to love it.... except for their forum which is *yuck* :)

ViRMiN
October 11th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I know, I signed up at the old prices, so once I was signed-up I was nicely surprised at the reductions! Tempted to go pro now! Heheh! Looking forward to getting onto it. My 8Mbps service is sometimes chugging at 1Mbps! Was faster when I had a straight 2Mbps connection!

markp1989
October 11th, 2007, 06:27 PM
1mb unlimited band with

i live in the uk

p_quarles
October 11th, 2007, 06:28 PM
1.7mbps/384kbps

Not blazing fast, but it's reliable enough at those speeds that I'm pretty happy with the connection.

iPower
October 11th, 2007, 06:46 PM
10Mbit/10Mbit unlimited broadband

$24.69 month
£12.09

cawill
October 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM
2 - 4 Mbit Download / 448 upload.
Download speed's change's every day :S, though I can unplug internet connect to go back up to 4 Mbit :).
Bt Broadband "Unlimited Broadband" £24.99

xpod
October 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM
We`re supposed to be on(up to)20Mb for a pretty steep £37 a month but due to a little inconsistency we currently pay half of that......and have done since June.
Our isp is currently trialing 50Mb speeds down in Kent too, which is a bit of a joke considering the just recent 20Mb(from 10Mb) upgrades have been a farce for many.

We also have a completely separate 1Mb Set Top Box connection that we dont pay a thing for.
It stayed on when we first upgraded from their basic package to the 4Mb....(then 10 then 20):)

We have the TV and Phone with our isp too and all together our last monthly bill was about £30-35??
It should be about £60 i think.:)

Their lucky they get that outta me:lolflag:

Martin Witte
October 11th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I at 1.5 Mb/s down, upload 256 Kb/s, for € 34.95, the price includes Voip for my fixed line phone

Lster
October 11th, 2007, 09:33 PM
8MB/s downloading and (I think) about 2MB/s uploading...

rickyjones
October 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM
At home: 4Mb down and 2Mb up from Comcast Cable. Not sure the price as it is paid for by my dads job.

At work: 1.5Mb down and 500Kb up from SBC DSL. Working on getting the next package up though. I think we pay about $40/mo for the next speed package... hence why I'm trying to get the lines fixed to support it!

I live in Michigan, USA.

-Richard

PriceChild
October 11th, 2007, 09:38 PM
8MB/s downloading and (I think) about 2MB/s uploading...If you're on an "up to 8mbps" then I doubt you'll have much more than 448kbps upload in the uk..

petersjm
October 11th, 2007, 10:10 PM
18mb/1.3mb for £18 a month (free hire of modem, static ip and no contract)

You wanna tell us who they are, PriceChild? I'm on 2Mb up (not sure of download - minimal at best!) for the same price: £18 (VirginMedia). We get cable TV, phone (w/ free evening and weekend unlimited calls) and b/band for about £32 or so p/m.

Phil Airtime
October 11th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I have 1Mb down and 256k up from BT Broadband in the UK. At present, though, I seem to only be able to pull down about 15kB a second, for some odd reason.

xc3RnbFO8P
October 11th, 2007, 10:29 PM
3 mp dl and 256 kb ul, $ 48 per month. Next year 10/10 mb, $ 33.

-grubby
October 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM
1.5m/512k DSL. I'm not sure about my upload speed but I think that's it $30.00 a month
Some time in the future I believe I'm going to get 6.0m/? for $40.00 a month
It's CenturyTel'
I live in Chewelah,Washington,US

xpod
October 11th, 2007, 11:45 PM
You wanna tell us who they are, PriceChild? I'm on 2Mb up (not sure of download - minimal at best!) for the same price: £18 (VirginMedia). We get cable TV, phone (w/ free evening and weekend unlimited calls) and b/band for about £32 or so p/m.

I believe this might be them.......in fact it can only be BE:)
https://www.bethere.co.uk/

You also need your bt phoneline of course and unless you live on top of the exchange you can probably rule out the full 24Mb:)
They are the upcoming provider though and i know that many many unhappy Virgin(cable) customers are jumping ship in favour of BE.

Even though the full 24Mb is unlikely they are still getting some glowing reports and folks i`ve spoke to are more than happy with their stable 16 & 18Mbs etc.The upload is nearly twice my 756Kb up on Virgins top tier 20Mb service.

NiklasV
October 11th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I've got 100 Mbps both upload and download (fiber to the apartment) for 295 SEK (32.39 €)/month. Suffice it to say that my internet connection is rarely the bottleneck. :)

hard_i
October 12th, 2007, 12:24 AM
12Mbps down / 768Kbps up

xpod
October 12th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I've got 100 Mbps both upload and download (fiber to the apartment) for 295 SEK (32.39 €)/month. Suffice it to say that my internet connection is rarely the bottleneck.

I knew you guys over there in Sweeden and Switzerland etc could get those crazy kind of speeds.
I was just saying as much in another thread (http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=572580&page=2) but i was`nt 100% sure.

Just where can you connect to in the real world to see those speeds though..??.:)
I mean if i can download Ubuntu in 5 mins(from my isp`s servers) with our 20Mbps(IF it`s maxing out) just how fast can you possibly download it.....from wherever??

:)

iPower
October 12th, 2007, 12:32 AM
I've got 100 Mbps both upload and download (fiber to the apartment) for 295 SEK (32.39 €)/month. Suffice it to say that my internet connection is rarely the bottleneck. :)

where in stockholm?

montres
October 12th, 2007, 12:54 AM
1mbps / 256kbps

betweenthetines
October 12th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Funny that you ask this question, since I recently upgraded to a new Internet2 connection running at (on a good day) about 100GBps down! Actually I just wish I could have an Internet2 connection...but honestly I don't really have a great use for it personally so I guess the researchers and scientists can keep it for now...

NiklasV
October 12th, 2007, 02:42 AM
where in stockholm?

Student apartments near KTH. I'm connected to OpenNet which Svenska Bostäder is in the process of connecting all their apartments to. The great thing about it is that I have like 8 ISP's to choose from over the fiber.

xpod: I just tried it and it took me about 1.5 minutes to download from ftp.sunet.se, which is the swedish university network. That's a bit more than 7000 kbps. I've seen better though, and I can get more if I download multiple files at once.
I rarely max out the connection though, only if I'm downloading multiple things at once. (like two or three high speed torrents)

reacocard
October 12th, 2007, 03:50 AM
2gpbs down, no idea how much up (a lot)

I love college connections :biggrin:

xpod
October 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM
xpod: I just tried it and it took me about 1.5 minutes to download from ftp.sunet.se, which is the swedish university network. That's a bit more than 7000 kbps. I've seen better though, and I can get more if I download multiple files at once.
I rarely max out the connection though, only if I'm downloading multiple things at once. (like two or three high speed torrents)

Wow,thats some woosh you got there:)
We can rarely max out our meager seeming(by comparison) 20Mb connection but the reality is that the superfast downloads are not our main concern....
Our isp is under a bit of scrutiny just now,as are others in the UK due to the discrepancies between advertised speeds and actual speeds.

The only connection i can max out constantly just now is our separate 1Mb:-?