"Little Bobby Tables" :KS

Sunnz
October 11th, 2007, 05:23 PM
LMAO... ah jeez, I am such a geek... :(:(:(

Sporkman
October 11th, 2007, 05:33 PM
You gotta love XKCD :D

Ah, so that's where it came from!

I'll replace the attachment with a link...

Dragonbite
October 11th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Oh, that is sooo good! Especially because I have a son (named Thomas) who is a little hacker!

Kingsley
October 11th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Oh god, I got none of that.

Sporkman
October 11th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Oh god, I got none of that.

It's about a hacking technique called "SQL injection", where a hacker can enter a data item that subverts the syntax of the subsequent database access - in this case, the woman injected a database command to delete the whole student database table.

Sporkman
October 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Here's a more detailed explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_injection

Tundro Walker
October 12th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Had a similar issue where I worked. They used a sql database to store values that .ASP pages used to generate content. There was a "description" field for something, and I wanted to provide description to end-users, but also wanted to track internal descriptions for my own dept's purposes. So, since anything in the "description" field got translated as HTML when used, I originally used !-- to make hidden comments. The pages got all hosed up, because it seems their system took the "--" sql comment command as precedence over the "!--" HTML commenting command. Dumb. So, I had to clean a bunch of stuff up in the db back-end, because it not only hosed up the end-user output, but also the front-end we used to fill in the stuff. I ended up switching to <META> tags to hide my content.

But, it never dawned on me to piggy-back SQL-executable statements...I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm sure the IS folks would love me more than they already do if I start embedding executables in stuff. LOL!

RAV TUX
October 12th, 2007, 01:07 AM
"Geek, taking the "r" out of Greek"