PDA

View Full Version : Starting in mono and c#

mgazb
October 11th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I'm just starting learning c# and mono. I've written a command line hello world but am having trouble with a GUI version.

If I add

using System.Windows.Forms;

then mcs fails to compile it. It can't find dotnet if I add it to the command line.

dwhs1@gloin:~/mono$ mcs /pkg:dotnet blah.cs
Package dotnet was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `dotnet.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'dotnet' found

Where can I get the dotnet package?

If I explicitly include the forms library

mcs -r:/usr/lib/mono/gac/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll blah.cs

I get a different lot of errors.

Is there a way of including winforms in a mono build?

TheOz
October 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM
you'll need to compile your code in this way

mcs blah.cs -r:System.Windows.Forms.dll -r:System.Drawing.dll

mgazb
October 15th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the reply, it has got me the next step forward.
I had to add

dwhs1@gloin:~/mono$ export MONO_PATH=/usr/lib/mono/2.0

to get it to find forms and drawing. I suspect that this demonstrates that I don't have everything set up correctly.

dwhs1@gloin:~/mono$ mcs -r:System.Windows.Forms.dll -r:System.Windows.Drawing.dll -r:System.Diagnostocs.dll blah.cs

** (/usr/lib/mono/1.0/mcs.exe:29923): WARNING **: Missing method System.Diagnostics.Process::get_StandardOutput() in assembly /usr/lib/mono/gac/System/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll, referenced in assembly /usr/lib/mono/1.0/mcs.exe

Unhandled Exception: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Diagnostics.Process.get_StandardOutput'.
at <0x00000> <unknown method>
at Mono.CSharp.Driver.MainDriver (System.String[] args) [0x00000]
at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]

where can I find System.Diagnostics? I have grepped the /user/lib tree and still can't find it.

thanks

mgazb
October 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM
If I use gmcs, then everything seems to work and I don't even need to reference System.Windows.Drawing and don't need to change MONO_PATH.