PDA

View Full Version : How cool would this be (Ubuntu Laptop)

jrharvey
October 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I would love someone to create an ubuntu brand laptop with the logo on the back. I decided to design one based on a macbook pic and some photoshop coolness. What do you think???? What would you like to see in an Ubuntu brand laptop???

NotTheMessiah
October 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Well....for starters i wouldn't want it to look like a Mac :)

jrharvey
October 11th, 2007, 03:52 PM
hahah ok thats cool.

notwen
October 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Neat idea, but if I could get a custom laptop, I would prefer to have a lid w/o any company logo on it unless it was small.

LowSky
October 11th, 2007, 03:56 PM
There already is a Ubuntu Laptop

http://www.system76.com/

http://system76.com/images/gazelle_v5_main_large.jpg

luvdemheels
October 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
It doesn't have the ubuntu logo on the lid. I think that looks cool. I would get one.

NotTheMessiah
October 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I don't think that is what he(jrharvey) had in mind...design wise :)

jrharvey
October 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Its ok. I meant an ubuntu styled laptop (design wise) I know that there are company's that sell laptops with ubuntu but i thought it would be cool if they designed it aroung the OS theme instead of any old laptop style.

n3tfury
October 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM
[/img]

lol, right over your head

Kingsley
October 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Its ok. I meant an ubuntu styled laptop (design wise) I know that there are company's that sell laptops with ubuntu but i thought it would be cool if they designed it aroung the OS theme instead of any old laptop style.
Well, the Ubuntu themes are orange, blue, or gray. I don't think any colors besides black and white would look professional. It'd be neat if there was Ubuntu's logo engraved into the top of the middle of a Laptop.

jrharvey
October 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Yes I think an orange, white or black colored laptop would be cool. I may have made the logo a bit big.

Lord Illidan
October 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Well, the Ubuntu themes are orange, blue, or gray. I don't think any colors besides black and white would look professional. It'd be neat if there was Ubuntu's logo engraved into the top of the middle of a Laptop.

Yeah, or black and silver like the vaio engraving. Very neat.

corney91
October 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I reckon a black laptop with the ubuntu logo in silver, quite small, on the bottom left of the lid would look cool and professional. But personally, I like your idea, as you don't see many red laptops.

ticopelp
October 11th, 2007, 05:11 PM
If there was a laptop like the picture in the OP out there, I would definitely buy it. I'd prefer a slate blue or something over the red, though.

jrharvey
October 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I dont think so, but you could always make one :)

Circus-Killer
October 11th, 2007, 05:23 PM
no ways, i would dig to have a laptop that is the color of the feisty default background, maybe with a wood-looking kinda finish.....with the ubuntu circle embossed on it!

i think i just had a tiny orgasm..... :tongue:

argie
October 11th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I'm going to sound stupid here, but I want the logo illuminated when connected to an AC power supply. There. I said it.

Circus-Killer
October 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I'm going to sound stupid here, but I want the logo illuminated when connected to an AC power supply. There. I said it.

that could be pretty stylin' too! :)

50words
October 11th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I would only buy it if it were Human brown. If so, I would be all over it.

Dragonbite
October 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I wish I could find the article I ran across a couple years ago. Basically it depicted step-by-step how they removed the (Apple?) logo from the lid of their laptop, filled it in, blended the colors to match and then put Tux on the lid instead!

I thought that was pretty cool!

n3tfury
October 11th, 2007, 07:37 PM
lol hopefully it looked way better than this "mod"

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=607371&seqNum=1

http://www.informit.com/content/images/art_fogie_imacmod/elementLinks/fig10.jpg

http://www.informit.com/content/images/art_fogie_imacmod/elementLinks/fig11.jpg

rofl.

smartboyathome
October 11th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I would definately buy one if it was black with the Logo its actual color via ellumination.

Henry Rayker
October 11th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Am I the only one who finds this god-awfully ugly?

jrharvey
October 11th, 2007, 09:00 PM
hahaha "god awfull" thats alright. Now that I think about it the new dells with the mocha color is very nice.now if they just replaced the dell logo with ubuntu they would be super hot.

tyrion2323
October 11th, 2007, 10:08 PM
JNCS.com makes custom laptops and desktops with Ubuntu, but they don't have any crazy Ubuntu logo on them.

Jonne
October 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I would only buy it if it were Human brown. If so, I would be all over it.
seconded. A brown laptop would be something unique (although i'd probably hate it if people started saying: "hey, a Zune coloured laptop!!!11!").

Frak
October 11th, 2007, 10:21 PM
seconded. A brown laptop would be something unique (although i'd probably hate it if people started saying: "hey, a Zune coloured laptop!!!11!").
Third...ed, I would definitely buy it.

aimran
October 11th, 2007, 10:49 PM
My $0.02: Nothing fits as well into my school bag as snugly as the macbook 13". I don't have one though. It's a bit on the heavy side.

Edit: Yeah to stay on topic. If only we can find OEM linux laptops that had the macbooks snugness/snugginess/whatever! I don't want to be lugging around a sandwich maker :(

jpittack
October 12th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I would vote against the macbook design. I can't figure out how the heck those things cool themselves. I would love to have dells slim 13" with the Ubuntu logo. A heads up. System76 will ship you stickers for free. Slap them on.

jrharvey
October 12th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Yes I agree, I own a macbook pro 12" and that thing is heavier than my girlfriends dell 17". They are built tough. I have dropped it many times and still works like a charm. Unfortunately it still has OS X on it but what can I do (Its power pc). I can't say the same about the dell laptops. Im not sure how rugged they are or how well they take a fall.

Perfex
October 12th, 2007, 02:10 AM
http://www.schtickers.com/ - Laptop Skins, design your own or get the already made ones.. some are pretty neat.. suede, etc

you can upload an ubuntu logo for a custom one

x4v13r
October 21st, 2008, 03:56 AM

That's not stupid at all. I actually have the same thing in mind only difference is I would want the Ubuntu logo to pulse or light up from dim to bright in a circle motion..

I know that sounds like ALOT, but Im sure with ALOT of research some time and right parts at least the Ubuntu illuminating logo is possible:guitar: