PDA

View Full Version : ||| Which kind of Brain do you have? ||| Right Brain vs Left Brain test |||

RAV TUX
October 11th, 2007, 04:36 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45948&d=1192073323

The Right Brain vs Left Brain test ... do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?
If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22492511-5005375,00.html

It is important to note that—while functions of the brain are indeed lateralized—these lateralizations are trends and do not apply to every person in every case. Short of having undergone a hemispherectomy (the removal of an entire cerebral hemisphere) there are no “left-brained only” or “right-brained only” people.
http://www.danharlow.com/blog/2007/10/04/what-kind-of-brain-do-you-have/

FuturePilot
October 11th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Right I guess. Although I can easily reverse the direction.. But I think right describes me better.

-grubby
October 11th, 2007, 04:49 AM
both....I can't tell. The test says right but the description says left

vishzilla
October 11th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Right brain

Tux Aubrey
October 11th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Right as Right can be.

It would be interesting to find out whether there is any connection with THIS STUDY (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/09/10/2028113.htm).

Then we could just eliminate elections completely and do a quick web-based test every few years!

EdThaSlayer
October 11th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I'm more of a left brain person.I can still reverse the dancer to dance around clockwise.

the.dark.lord
October 11th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Right as Right can be.

+1

Can't get it to change....
Which way is it for you, RAV?

BTW, what does "others" mean? The dancer prancing up and down?

Sensenseppl
October 11th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Right brain, but can change it around with some concentration.

arsenic23
October 11th, 2007, 08:24 AM
First off, I have trouble focusing on anything other then the fact that the reflextion is impossible.

Second, what are you fellows focusing on to make it spin anyway other then clockwise? I can find no way to draw a rigid frame for that girl that makes her appear to move counter-clockwise.

... Ok, after a lot of effort I've discovered that I can make her spin counter-clockwise by covering up everything save her feet, and then once they are spinning counter-clockwise, I have to slowly reveal the girl. After this I have to look away to return my perception of clockwise motion.

Also, I've never been able to see magic eye pictures.

Bothered
October 11th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Look at the shadow of the foot for a few seconds, and the direction of spin may seem to flip.

xc3RnbFO8P
October 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM
both.

popch
October 11th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Right. The result does not surprise me, but the method does.

I found it quite difficult to make me see her turn the other way. The hint about the shadow (or reflection) of the feet did it.

questpro
October 11th, 2007, 09:04 AM
BOTH.

I first noticed only clockwise. Then after reading the posts, when I was observing the girl after few seconds she changed the direction and never changed again.

I am just wondering, Is it really a trick or Is she changing the direction every few seconds??

popch
October 11th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I am just wondering, Is it really a trick or Is she changing the direction every few seconds??

It's all in your head. The changes in the outline you see (a 'shadow' or 'projection') look exactly the same, regardless of the direction of the rotation.

The only asymmetry lies in the shadow or reflection of the outstretched foot. If it is a shadow, then 'lower in the image' means 'foot is nearer to you'. If it is a reflection, then 'lower in the image' means 'foot is farther away from you'.

The brain tries to find clues about relative distances like mad. Since what you see is not a material object but a two-dimensional rendering, every result found by the brain is spurious, even if plausible.

But then, if she was material, she wouldn't be an 'object'.

questpro
October 11th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Nice description. Its interesting.

First I can see clockwise rotation. After some concentration anti-clockwise. Then if I look some otherside to read the text or so , suddenly I can find her changing the direction to clockwise.

Can anybody see anti-clockwise rotations at first glance??:)

mali2297
October 11th, 2007, 09:52 AM
First I'm convinced that she's dancing clockwise, then after reading the text she has turned. Now I'm certain that she is dancing anti-clockwise, but then it changes again...

This can really mess up your brain. :confused:

iPower
October 11th, 2007, 09:55 AM
doesn't move at all

the.dark.lord
October 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM
doesn't move at all

I guess, you don't have a brain then :)

questpro
October 11th, 2007, 10:02 AM
doesn't move at all

Need to install runtime-java. Just kidding!!!

zekica
October 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I can easily change the direction by only looking at the "reflection/shadow"... But at first it looked to me it turned anti-clockwise.

beercz
October 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Left for me - but I can change the direction. Left describes me better though.

So far 3 people have chosen "Other" - erm How????

YoG%*@
October 11th, 2007, 10:22 AM
anti - clockwise here.
i haven't been able to make it go the other way round yet...

mali2297
October 11th, 2007, 10:28 AM
As for the written profiles, I'm split.

On the one hand, I'm a notorious daydreamer and I prefer the big picture over dwelling in details. On the other hand, I'm a mathematician, hate to make quick decisions and definately not a risktaker.

So I voted both.

Freddy
October 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I'm one of those that doesn't use my brain at all.

slimdog360
October 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM
right it seems

Tomosaur
October 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Right.

I'm basing it off what I saw as I opened the page - the woman turning clockwise, although I found it fairly easy to make her switch direction - but that may be because I've seen it before.

Also, I really don't think this illusion is sufficient to say 'you are right-brained' or 'you are left-brained'. It's just an optical illusion.

DoktorSeven
October 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Oh, man, so it's come here.

It spins clockwise. There's no other answer. Slow it down (http://doktorseven.miskie.net/images/stupidspinning2.gif) and tell me you see it spinning counterclockwise.

Those who see it spinning CCW at full speed are confused by the speed of rotation and aren't looking at the obvious visual cues. This has nothing to do with left-brain and right-brain as the article claims; it's a simple visual trick that makes you see that it's rotating a different direction than it actually is if you allow yourself to be fooled.

petersjm
October 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Weird. I'm seeing her go both ways. One minute she's going clockwise, then all of a bleedin' sudden she's off anti-clockwise! Then she changes her mind and goes clockwise again. I guess I see a bit more clockwise, than anti-clockwise, but they are definitely both there - no conscentration required to change her direction...!

So, I'm a both-side-of-the-brain kind of person, I guess. Is that a good thing?!

Rui Pais
October 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
:lol:
an applet with a naked women can be used to determine you character...
:shock: :lol: :lol:

Thats even more naive then astrology and horoscopes (http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/fun/horoscopes/)...

I have both sides of my brain (luckily), and use both... and very sure that the same happen to anyone physiologically normal :p

benhagerty
October 11th, 2007, 11:46 AM
left

proalan
October 11th, 2007, 11:56 AM
left initially then right, then i figured out how to change

start looking from the head to feet animation for anticlockwise rotation and from feet to head for the clockwise rotation.

Well it works for me anyways.

argie
October 11th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I scored Right, but couldn't get it to switch. I have to try real hard using that look at the foot trick someone mentioned to get it to go the other way. I suppose that means I got "feeling". Damn, I'm doing Math, I so wanted to get Logic.

iPower
October 11th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I guess, you don't have a brain then :)

or i have a computer from 1979 inside my head ;)

rolando2424
October 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Right, there is no way I can make her spin counter-clockwise.

And I though I was a logic person :(

(Look at her breasts and you really see it turning clockwise...)

petersjm
October 11th, 2007, 02:09 PM
(Look at her breasts and you really see it turning clockwise...)

Perv! You just want us all to look at her breasts! ;) :mrgreen:

tcpip4lyfe
October 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Very cool. At first I was right brained and I read a lot of these comments and then clicked again and it magically changed direction! I couldn't get it to change back. Basically it blew my mind.

popch
October 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM
an applet with a naked women can be used to determine you character...

Thats even more naive then astrology and horoscopes...

'Wrong' on two counts:

Many things with naked women can be used to determine your character, or indeed the women without the things.

The thing being 'determined' is not your 'character' (such as may be) but your 'style' of thinking. The theory behind the hemispheres is that they are good at different things (enumerated on the site), and that nearly everyone has a preferred 'mode' of thinking which applies the faculties of both sides of the brain consistently biased.

Wether a rotating girl is a suitable instrument for determining your thinking style is another matter.

:)

popch
October 11th, 2007, 02:23 PM

It spins clockwise. There's no other answer. Slow it down (http://doktorseven.miskie.net/images/stupidspinning2.gif) and tell me you see it spinning counterclockwise.

Those who see it spinning CCW at full speed are confused by the speed of rotation and aren't looking at the obvious visual cues. This has nothing to do with left-brain and right-brain as the article claims; it's a simple visual trick that makes you see that it's rotating a different direction than it actually is if you allow yourself to be fooled.

Spinning speed makes no difference for me. The 'natural' reaction is to assume clockwise spinning. With an effort (described in a previous post) makes her spin counterclockwise.

Your point could be proven by running the clip backwards. If you are right, those who assign the spin a direction must then assign the reverse direction when viewing the backwards version. I would wager that you could not see any difference.

Meomix
October 11th, 2007, 02:34 PM
i could only see the dancer clockwise in that picture could not focus.

Botherhead Wrote:

Look at the shadow of the foot for a few seconds, and the direction of spin may seem to flip.
woah your right, i think it switched direction for a few seconds

i use the Right brain i can sometimes understand " meanings" faster than others
i use my left hand for writing/drawing i use my right hand for the mousepad and power throws who doesnt like to fantasize realism is for the boring people,

Rui Pais
October 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
'Wrong' on two counts:

Many things with naked women can be used to determine your character, or indeed the women without the things.

The thing being 'determined' is not your 'character' (such as may be) but your 'style' of thinking. The theory behind the hemispheres is that they are good at different things (enumerated on the site), and that nearly everyone has a preferred 'mode' of thinking which applies the faculties of both sides of the brain consistently biased.

Wether a rotating girl is a suitable instrument for determining your thinking style is another matter.

:)

how a rotating girl (or a cat, an hamster, a pizza deliver boy... ) can be related with the fact that hemisphere have different activity when the person do different tasks? If i say jump to a legless frog i can conclude the frog is deaf?

Anyway i liked you 'thinking style' rather then 'character' :lol:
(although, practical, uses feeling, impetuous, safe, risk taking, look more character stuff them thinking... )

PS, It's time now to rotating girls serve other purposes then illustrate inertial momenta on physics classrooms!!

LowSky
October 11th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I'm left handed so my right side of my brain does most of the work. "You May Say I'm a Dreamer But I'm Not the Only One" - John Lennon

ThinkBuntu
October 11th, 2007, 03:40 PM
How could you see this as anything but clockwise?? Clearly I'm less analytical than I thought.

CAD-MAN
October 11th, 2007, 03:48 PM

I started off being right, and after much trying, couldn't get her to go left. Then, after reading the shadow tip, she started going left, and would not stop! I couldn't get her to go right again for ages, but Ive just got her spinning right again.

Nice find Rav

Tomosaur
October 11th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Uh yeah, I can still make her go anti-clockwise. The key is to look at the shadow. The shadow isn't always fully visible, if you watch the raised foot of the shadow enter and re-enter the image, you will start seeing her switch direction more.

popch
October 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM
With a little bit of practice I can make her do half-turns, always facing the camera, changing directions when looking straight to the left and to the right.

Do I have a boxing brain (as in boxing engine, with the pistons 180 degrees from each other)?

DoktorSeven
October 11th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Uh yeah, I can still make her go anti-clockwise. The key is to look at the shadow. The shadow isn't always fully visible, if you watch the raised foot of the shadow enter and re-enter the image, you will start seeing her switch direction more.
As I said, you can certainly make it appear that way by only looking at certain elements, but if you look at the whole thing, there's absolutely no way you can see it as going any other way but CW.

Again, it's an illusion, but if you really look at the whole thing and have to say which way it's spinning, you'll say CW.

Your point could be proven by running the clip backwards. If you are right, those who assign the spin a direction must then assign the reverse direction when viewing the backwards version. I would wager that you could not see any difference.

Getting it to go backwards created a lot of afterimages -- I'm not great at figuring out how to edit animated GIFs with Gimp beyond slowing it down-- but it definitely went CCW when it was reversed. Again, look at the body features when slowed, there is a definite CW motion on the original image, and unless you completely ignore these visual cues, which everyone that sees it going CCW is doing, there's no way you can say it does.

It's an optical illusion, plain and simple.

eljoeb
October 11th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Lefty loosy righty tighty

Right. Mostly.

rsambuca
October 11th, 2007, 09:56 PM
As I said, you can certainly make it appear that way by only looking at certain elements, but if you look at the whole thing, there's absolutely no way you can see it as going any other way but CW.

Again, it's an illusion, but if you really look at the whole thing and have to say which way it's spinning, you'll say CW.

Getting it to go backwards created a lot of afterimages -- I'm not great at figuring out how to edit animated GIFs with Gimp beyond slowing it down-- but it definitely went CCW when it was reversed. Again, look at the body features when slowed, there is a definite CW motion on the original image, and unless you completely ignore these visual cues, which everyone that sees it going CCW is doing, there's no way you can say it does.

It's an optical illusion, plain and simple.Sorry man, but it is a shadow image, and therefore it can be going in either direction depending on how you perceive it to be turning.

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5675247,00.gif

popch
October 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM
look at the body features when slowed, there is a definite CW motion on the original image, and unless you completely ignore these visual cues, which everyone that sees it going CCW is doing, there's no way you can say it does.

It's an optical illusion, plain and simple.

What body features? The poor gal is pitch black. No features, no visual cues at all. Just a black outline. A projection. Like a shadow.

There is not sufficient information left for anyone to tell the direction of the rotation.

It's all in the head, as you say, and the interpretation is highly individual. Believe me, even if you can not imagine seeing her turning the other way around.

Perhaps someone in this forum has the knowledge and the time to reverse the clip. But then, if it's really symmetrical, how could we tell if it was really reversed and not just a copy?

init1
October 11th, 2007, 09:58 PM
The dancer test tells me I'm a right sided person, but I seem to fall closer to the left side.

Zero Prime
October 11th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I have the interesting ability to see it turn both directions. I can't control it either. For a while it spins one way then if I look away and look again it turns the other.

xc3RnbFO8P
October 11th, 2007, 10:08 PM
She turn right when I am drunk, both ways when I am sober.

Frak
October 11th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I voted right brain, but right after that, the dancer changed direction, AND I CAN'T MAKE IT STOP GOING COUNTER-CLOCKWISE!!!!

Left-Brain, even though I voted Right.

ThinkBuntu
October 11th, 2007, 11:13 PM
God! She's going the other way now! I'm so awestruck.

djsroknrol
October 11th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Right brained...I can get her to change directions....:popcorn:

jrusso2
October 12th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I don't think its an accurate test. Seems most can see it both ways. Like that vase with two faces.

frup
October 12th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I know I am right brained, many tests have confirmed that. Having said that my left brain is very strong, many tests come up saying I am both (I for example am able to think symbolically but also do maths :P)

At first I saw this going clockwise, Tilting my head so my right eye is on top with an angle of about 355 degrees forces it it counter-clockwise.

This intrigued me so much I spent about 20 mins watching it, now all I can see is the leg moving right to left right to left right to left right to left :D It takes a bit of concentration though. Is it just me or are the feet etc flickering with frames going "the opposite way" , this is what confused me, the foot can't go the opposite way, but the best control I have over it is when I try concentrate on the flickers.

RAV TUX
October 12th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I don't think its an accurate test. Seems most can see it both ways. Like that vase with two faces.

See my edit to the OP:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3512587&postcount=1

lisati
October 12th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I have the interesting ability to see it turn both directions. I can't control it either. For a while it spins one way then if I look away and look again it turns the other.

ditto.

bhavi
October 12th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Right Brain:KS

matthewdhandley
October 12th, 2007, 03:58 AM
The whole concept of a strict dichotomy between the functions of the left and right hemispheres is actually a myth.

Many a myth has grown up around the brain's asymmetry. The left cerebral hemisphere is supposed to be the coldly logical, verbal and dominant half of the brain, while the right developed a reputation as the imaginative side, emotional, spatially aware but suppressed. Two personalities in one head, Yin and Yang, hero and villain.

To most neuroscientists, of course, these notions are seen as simplistic at best and nonsense at worst.
http://www.rense.com/general2/rb.htm

Short of having undergone a hemispherectomy (the removal of an entire cerebral hemisphere) there are no "left-brained only" or "right-brained only" people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateralization_of_brain_function

RAV TUX
October 12th, 2007, 04:02 AM
The whole concept of a strict dichotomy between the functions of the left and right hemispheres is actually a myth.see the OP that is clearly explained there.

directly from my OP here:

It is important to note that—while functions of the brain are indeed lateralized—these lateralizations are trends and do not apply to every person in every case. Short of having undergone a hemispherectomy (the removal of an entire cerebral hemisphere) there are no “left-brained only” or “right-brained only” people.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3512587&postcount=1