PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird - Removing 'Re:' from prefacing replies.

CAD-MAN
October 10th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Hi,

Just wondered if anybody on here knows how to remove the 'Re' in the subject line when replying to e-mails in Thunderbird. Its just that I have a few friends with filters on their incoming mail that deletes messages with 'Re:' in the subject line.

This would save me having to do it manually when replying to certain people's e-mails! :D

Thanks.

Nano Geek
October 10th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Hi,

Just wondered if anybody on here knows how to remove the 'Re' in the subject line when replying to e-mails in Thunderbird. Its just that I have a few friends with filters on their incoming mail that deletes messages with 'Re:' in the subject line.

This would save me having to do it manually when replying to certain people's e-mails! :D

Thanks.Why delete mail with Re: in it? Seems silly to me.

CAD-MAN
October 11th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Why delete mail with Re: in it? Seems silly to me.

I know, I know, Ive told them both this a couple of times, but apparently they get lots of spam that has Re: in the subject line.

Anybody got any ideas. Its an obscure question, I know... :D

n3tfury
October 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Why delete mail with Re: in it? Seems silly to me.

it's not silly if you take a look at people's junk mail folders. tons of spam email start with "re:" which is smart on their part to fool your inbox into thinking it's a legitimate sender.

Nano Geek
October 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I know, I know, Ive told them both this a couple of times, but apparently they get lots of spam that has Re: in the subject line.

Anybody got any ideas. Its an obscure question, I know... :DThis might not work, but you could offer to help them set up a spam filter so they wouldn't have to remove messages with RE: in it.
Just a thought.

Phil Airtime
October 11th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Back in the days when those "EMAIL THIS 2 TEN PEOPLE OR HOTMAIL WILL CLOSE UR ACCOUNT SEZ THE DIRECTOR OV HOT MAIL!!!111" messages were rife (I wasn't even with Hotmail), I used to have a filter that sent "Fwd:" messages into the bin.

CAD-MAN
October 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM
This might not work, but you could offer to help them set up a spam filter so they wouldn't have to remove messages with RE: in it.
Just a thought.

I know that one of them tried a spam filter, but he was running quite an old machine, and apparently it took absolutely ages to do its stuff. I suggested using xubuntu or fluxbuntu to speed his machine up, but he wasn't really interested in switching.

Any ideas on getting this to work in thunderbird?

n3tfury
October 11th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I know that one of them tried a spam filter, but he was running quite an old machine, and apparently it took absolutely ages to do its stuff. I suggested using xubuntu or fluxbuntu to speed his machine up, but he wasn't really interested in switching.

Any ideas on getting this to work in thunderbird?

i don't have thunderbird, but doesn't it show it in the subject line as soon as you compose a reply? if so, is it that difficult to highlight/backspace or delete?

Depressed Man
October 11th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Couldn't the filter be setup to check if the address is on the address book though? So if it's suppose to be filtering on Re: but it sees your email in the address book it ignores the filter action?

CAD-MAN
October 11th, 2007, 09:20 PM
i don't have thunderbird, but doesn't it show it in the subject line as soon as you compose a reply? if so, is it that difficult to highlight/backspace or delete?

Well no, its not difficult, but its an unnecessary inconvenience. I know that thunderbird can be customised in a whole host of ways by going to edit > preferences > advanced > config editor, but I couldn't find anything there that looked like what I want to do. Just guessed that it would make life easier like this :D

Oh well.

n3tfury
October 11th, 2007, 09:53 PM
well since they're using filters, why can't they put your email addy on a whitelist.

CAD-MAN
October 12th, 2007, 08:51 AM
well since they're using filters, why can't they put your email addy on a whitelist.

Ah I hadn't thought of that, I'll let them know. Thanks

n3tfury
October 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM
you're welcome.