PDA

View Full Version : Any blog-free search engines?

zami
October 10th, 2007, 09:13 PM
This may be a bit of an odd request, but does anyone know of any search engines out there with a blog filter?

Not a blog search engine... but a "no blog" search engine?

Or even a search engine where I can add certain parameters I will always want excluded, that will remember those parameters each time I visit? (This might even be preferable, as I could add those awful click-through sites that show up so often.)

Also, no I don't hate blogs, and yes, I'm aware it would be nearly impossible to filter out all blogs from any search. But omitting those built off the top blog engines, and blog-hosts, would be a pretty good start.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-zami

Old Pink
October 10th, 2007, 09:22 PM
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

Create your perfect filter, and just use BLANK as the terms.

Bookmark the results, and use this to filter, just changing the word "blank" each time you search?

Nano Geek
October 10th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to search blogs?

RideP2
October 10th, 2007, 10:19 PM
If you use google you can just type a - infront of what you don't want and anything with that keyword won't show up.

zami
October 10th, 2007, 11:48 PM
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

Create your perfect filter, and just use BLANK as the terms.

Bookmark the results, and use this to filter, just changing the word "blank" each time you search?

Oooh, clever! For the first time in years, I've got a both homepage and the "home" button, included in my browser. This will definetly do the trick, and I can still use the regular search-bar for when I want to include blogs.

I ran
blank -"blogspot.com", -"blogger.com" -"blog.com" -"typepad.com", -"myspace.com" -"nextag.com" -"bizrate.com" -"ebay.com"
to get the URL

That omission list is definitely going to grow.

Granted, this wont block out blogs that are self hosted, but it seems to be knocking out quite a bit. And no more nextag and bizrate crap.

Unfortunately it also knocks out every page with "ebay.com" (for example) mentioned in it, but I think most folk just say/type "ebay" instead of "ebay.com" anyhow. Thank goodness for quotations.

If you use google you can just type a - infront of what you don't want and anything with that keyword won't show up.

I know, but that is an awful lot to type out each and every time!

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to search blogs?

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

About 90% of blogs are just noise to me.

Fake blogs that are selling something. Acne medicine, body building, secrets that make ladies go wild, BS like that.

Fake blogs that are actually just click-through pages.

Fake blogs that are just commercials, like those the movie industry sets up.

The "I found (______) online today, but I'm not considerate enough to provide a link-back" blogs. These **** me off the most. Argh! lol at least it's not intentional junk like the fake blogs, but it's frustrating to *almost* find exactly what you are looking for like this.

The personal diary blogs. I actually love this sort of blog - this is what blogging should be. But sometimes you are looking for something more concrete then someone recalling their experiences about whatever it is you're looking for.

And some searches bring up almost nothing BUT blogs. So, sometimes I want them included, sometimes I do not.

And I can tell you I almost never want a result that comes from myspace.com...

Thanks again for the grand idea Old Pink!

-zami