PDA

View Full Version : Ogg Players

Dyus36
October 10th, 2007, 05:25 PM
im looking to get a new portable music player, so im looking for some help, the main thing is i want it to play ogg vorbis, from what i understand it has better compression and overall quality than mp3 and its open-source friendly, and i figured who better to ask for help than the open source community!

i took a look around but cant really find any that support ogg.
i dont want an ipod. i used to have a rio karma but its broken and rio is all but non existant.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Pancetilla
October 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Cowon's Iaudio brand and Iriver's (some players, not every one of them).

I've got an Iaudio X5l and it's brilliant

buuntuu!
October 10th, 2007, 05:28 PM
cowon (http://www.cowonglobal.com/) supports free formats...
hands off ipods as long as they don't (grrr, got one as a present and all my files are ogg!)

Dyus36
October 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
i understand ipods will play it if u use something called rockbox, but i just dont like ipod in general.

the cowon one looks nice but i cant seem to find somewhere that sells it, not even a price quote

jgrabham
October 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM
i understand ipods will play it if u use something called rockbox

also ipod linux

Pancetilla
October 10th, 2007, 06:03 PM
the cowon one looks nice but i cant seem to find somewhere that sells it, not even a price quote

Where are you from?

n3tfury
October 10th, 2007, 06:33 PM
im looking to get a new portable music player, so im looking for some help, the main thing is i want it to play ogg vorbis, from what i understand it has better compression and overall quality than mp3 and its open-source friendly, and i figured who better to ask for help than the open source community!

i took a look around but cant really find any that support ogg.
i dont want an ipod. i used to have a rio karma but its broken and rio is all but non existant.

any help would be greatly appreciated

as mentioned take a look at Cowon. DAPreview is a great site to look at:

http://dapreview.net/news.php

Dyus36
October 10th, 2007, 08:52 PM
i live in the US but i did a googl search and i didnt find any retailers, just a bunch of buy search engines selling accessories to it.

n3tfury
October 10th, 2007, 10:56 PM
i live in the US but i did a googl search and i didnt find any retailers, just a bunch of buy search engines selling accessories to it.

wasn't too difficult. especially if you followed my link above:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=Cowon&tag=dapreview-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

macogw
October 10th, 2007, 10:59 PM
The Sansa e and c series can use Rockbox too. They're low on storage, but they have MicroSD slots....probably a ploy by SanDisk to sell more SD cards but oh well

Billy_McBong
October 10th, 2007, 11:08 PM
as others have said if you put rockbox on it then it can play .oggs
and rockbox works on a lot of different mp3 players

ÜbuntuMensch
October 11th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I use a Cowon D2, which supports ogg, flac, wav, wma, mp3...Also good support for video at a reasonable price. line-in recording (to wma), great battery life, video out, Unfortunately not a USB host...but it either syncs in MTP mode or acts like a USB drive, your choice.

At times dodgey issues with the firmware and id3 tags, so actually in that sense linux users are probably the best possible audience for it. Uh, seriously, it's been working great with Ubuntu Feisty and Gutsy.

Cowon is a Korean company that doesn't seem to care much about the US market, but you can get their gear on NewEgg, Amazon, and their own online retail JetMall.

4 GB flash memory with SD card slot, so not huge memory, but SD cards are getting big and cheap.

Lots of info at iaudiophile.net and anythingbutipod

kadath
October 11th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Meizu's players all support Vorbis IIRC. I believe they all support FLAC as well.