PDA

View Full Version : Managing linebreaks in a Latex document

will103
October 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hi,

I am preparing a document in Latex that includes a list of conferences in separate paragraphs. This document must be updated often but this sometimes results in paragraphs being split between two pages -- how can I stop this happening?

The structure of each conference record is a single paragraph eg

Conference record no 1\newline

Conference record no 2\newline

etc

Thanks in advance

will103

euler_fan
October 11th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Hi,

I am preparing a document in Latex that includes a list of conferences in separate paragraphs. This document must be updated often but this sometimes results in paragraphs being split between two pages -- how can I stop this happening?

The structure of each conference record is a single paragraph eg

Conference record no 1\newline

Conference record no 2\newline

etc

Thanks in advance

will103

My first reaction is to ask why you're not using the enumerate or itemize environments to do the work rather than individual paragraphs. They might out of the box give you what you want. It sounds like what you want is for each paragraph to float. Not sure off hand how to do that. There might be a floating environment you can wrap each paragraph in.

Good Luck.

will103
October 11th, 2007, 05:04 PM
My first reaction is to ask why you're not using the enumerate or itemize environments to do the work rather than individual paragraphs. They might out of the box give you what you want. It sounds like what you want is for each paragraph to float. Not sure off hand how to do that. There might be a floating environment you can wrap each paragraph in.

Good Luck.

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. I hadn't thought about it that way. Can you use the enumerate or itemize environments without numbers or symbols?

Will103

euler_fan
October 12th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Hi, thank you for the suggestion. I hadn't thought about it that way. Can you use the enumerate or itemize environments without numbers or symbols?

Will103

From Math into LaTeX

You may want to use a list environment solely for the way the items are displayed without any labels. You can achieve this effect using "\item[]"

Obviously without quotes around

\item[]

The only other thing now is that each item should float to get your desired effect. Not sure how to do that . . . haven't ever wanted to make that happen personally.

harishg
October 24th, 2007, 02:01 AM
One thing which you can do is give a pagebreak command when you think that you want the new paragraph in the next page. Another option is to change the default vertical skipping between paragraphs.

hugmenot
October 25th, 2007, 01:03 PM
If this is your problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_(typesetting)

then stating those two will avoid that

\clubpenalty = 10000
\widowpenalty = 10000

maybe use 9999, because 10000 is a very harsh contraint. But the other posters are right; a list should probably be formatted as a list.

Vivaldi Gloria
November 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM
There is a description environment also. It lists with nice bold headings intead of numbers, bullets etc.

\begin{description}
\item[heading1] blahblahbalah...
\item[heading2] moreblahblahbalah...
\end{description}

Now heading1, heading2 apperars in bold.

will103
November 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions and apologies for not checking this post more frequently.

Best wishes

will103