PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

NinjaZec
October 10th, 2007, 07:46 AM
i just registered so i wanted to say hello!
so hello ):P

i never used Linux so far so i am a big noob, but hopefully one day i ll be able to delete windows from my computer and get rid of it once and forever.
I installed Ubuntu and didnt have any problems with running it nor installing it. it was done in 10 minutes.

and since i am writing this i may as well ask my first question
so here we go:

What should i do now maybe try to find a book or something since i dont know what to do. For example i want to install pidgin but even though i find a tutorial i cant follow it since i dont know how to compile source code nor how to use a command terminal.

Since i dont like to read books, i was hoping for a step by step guides for start. and then when i figure out a few things.

kind a long first post but i hope you dont mind :-)

vishzilla
October 10th, 2007, 07:49 AM
i just registered so i wanted to say hello!
so hello ):P

i never used Linux so far so i am a big noob, but hopefully one day i ll be able to delete windows from my computer and get rid of it once and forever.
I installed Ubuntu and didnt have any problems with running it nor installing it. it was done in 10 minutes.

and since i am writing this i may as well ask my first question
so here we go:

What should i do now maybe try to find a book or something since i dont know what to do. For example i want to install pidgin but even though i find a tutorial i cant follow it since i dont know how to compile source code nor how to use a command terminal.

Since i dont like to read books, i was hoping for a step by step guides for start. and then when i figure out a few things.

kind a long first post but i hope you dont mind :-)

to install pidgin, get the .deb pack from http://getdeb.net .deb pack is similar to a .exe package, that should do. best way to learn is to stick with the forums and ubuntu's community documentation.

NinjaZec
October 10th, 2007, 07:54 AM
ok ty for the quick reply i ll try it right away.

vishzilla
October 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM
hey, you first gotto remove gaim. read this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallPidgin2%2e0?highlight=%28pidgin%29

go to System->Administration->synaptic, search for gaim and remove anything related to it

mindtrick
October 10th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Here's your medicine
www.ubuntuguide.org

NinjaZec
October 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Here's your medicine
www.ubuntuguide.org

ty , although i already found it myself.

i installed pidgin using source installation, then i couldn't find it and wanted to reinstall it by doing everything i did again but my comp froze 3 times so i guess i cant do it like i thought i could.

wasnt it supposed to be in applications--> internet

i think i should post this is some other forum section but since i started here nvm

Edit: i managed to instal it using deb (first time i used it i didnt installed pidgin-data. but i still dont understand why source installation didn't do well since it seemed to me that it worked )

mindtrick
October 10th, 2007, 09:42 AM
ty , although i already found it myself.

i installed pidgin using source installation, then i couldn't find it and wanted to reinstall it by doing everything i did again but my comp froze 3 times so i guess i cant do it like i thought i could.

wasnt it supposed to be in applications--> internet

i think i should post this is some other forum section but since i started here nvm
http://repository.debuntu.org/#howtouse

then

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pidgin