PDA

View Full Version : Dark or Light theme

vishzilla
October 10th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Do you prefer a dark or a light theme...

Dark themes look good, but in time i can't bare it.

NovaAesa
October 10th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Light...

Because with my LCD monitor dust on it can be very easily seen when the screen is dark. Even if I wipe it down everyday, it still gets dust on it that you can see with a dark theme.

Circus-Killer
October 10th, 2007, 06:47 AM
most documents i open, have white background.
websites, mostly have white/light backgrounds.
i just find that with dark themes, it gets a little too much on the eyes. too much contrast.

FuturePilot
October 10th, 2007, 06:48 AM
I prefer light. I don't like dark themes that make any type of text input box dark also. Too hard to read.

TeaSwigger
October 10th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Usually light. There are many cool dark themes, but for one it'd get gloomy and I don't need that, and for another the lighting usually isn't right for it.

Darkagentx
October 10th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Almost always "in-between", I suppose. Never too bright, never too dark. Though I must say I'm rather fond of the "Human" theme, where ever that falls~

vishzilla
October 10th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Almost always "in-between", I suppose. Never too bright, never too dark. Though I must say I'm rather fond of the "Human" theme, where ever that falls~

that should be jus about right, not too dark nor light

frup
October 10th, 2007, 07:42 AM
most documents i open, have white background.
websites, mostly have white/light backgrounds.
i just find that with dark themes, it gets a little too much on the eyes. too much contrast.

Ditto... but I prefer the look of a well made dark theme, which 99% of them aren't IMO.

b0ng0
October 10th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Light - it makes everything look nice and happy :KS

Spr0k3t
October 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I like light themes, dark borders, even darker background. I can't stand it when everything is bright... hurts my eyes.

Kvark
October 10th, 2007, 08:08 AM
I prefer dark themes, specially in the evening when my eyes are adjusted for night sight so light themes feel like staring into a wall of light. But I don't actually use those themes because even if I set Firefox to always use dark colors some websites use light background pictures. Suddenly being dazzled by a light website is annoying enough to make me avoid dark themes altogether even though I like them. So I use light themes instead, the ones in the middle don't appeal to me, it should be either very dark or very light.

rolando2424
October 10th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Take a guess :P

n3tfury
October 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM
i go mostly dark, but change it up to be light also. should've been a third option for both.

multifaceted
October 10th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Dark themes, just my preference.

LaRoza
October 10th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Everything is black or white sometimes grey.

I use Fluxbox, and have everything either black, and the borders and text are white. It is a style I wrote myself, so I can't refer you to it.

fuscia
October 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
light themes. ultimately, most dark themes end up looking like a black refrigerator.

TomMK
October 10th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Does Luna count as dark or light? \\:D/

bonzodog
October 10th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I always use dark grey themes, but I also use the stylish extension to dark theme all the websites so I get a dark grey background. The forums for instance are now a dark grey, light blue links, with an off white text. Very readable, and easy on the eyes.
http://xs219.xs.to/xs219/07370/ubuntuforumsgrey.png.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs219&d=07370&f=ubuntuforumsgrey.png)
and
http://xs319.xs.to/xs319/07390/openzen19.png.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs319&d=07390&f=openzen19.png)

The darkway GTK theme can be found on gnome-look.org. There are two versions; the original which used the Clearlooks engine, or my re-model using the Rezlooks engine.

ComplexNumber
October 10th, 2007, 03:18 PM
it depends. dark for looks, light for usability.

Sunflower1970
October 10th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Dark themes. Sometimes dark greys. The lightest I'll go is a medium greyish theme.

@bonzodog: Love that Openbox theme :D Very snazzy

D-EJ915
October 11th, 2007, 06:08 AM
I mainly work in the dark, and at night, so dark themes are much better. White-ish themes are just blinding.

wana10
October 11th, 2007, 08:15 AM
i voted dark but its not really dark themes that i like, so much as muted themes. i don't like bright colors to leap out of my monitor at me, subdued colors are simply easier for my eyes to look at.

EdThaSlayer
October 11th, 2007, 08:35 AM
You should make a dark theme. It will make it easier to see the screen without hurting your eyes too much at night(if you do an all-nighter that is).

FranMichaels
October 11th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Dark, as my screen counts as a light source, and it's no fun staring into it if everything is white and bright.

If you have a CRT you could lower your electricity consumption by switching to a dark theme too! :biggrin:

Anyway, what I would like to see are more colorful themes.

Currently mine is October like, I've got orange, brown, and gold, as well as very dark gray (to cut the contrast a little, as opposed to black) with light gray text for the foreground... Well I'll attach a screenie.

It gets boring where light themes are, white or gray background, black text, and some color for the title bar. Same goes for dark themes that are basically black background and white foreground.

I would really love to see some very easy to read, and colorful themes! :KS

Pedro0727
October 11th, 2007, 11:18 AM
i think light.. and make the things dark, like buttons, scroll bar etc. if need to emphasize

DoktorSeven
October 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Dark. I don't want to kill my eyes looking into a bright screen all the time.

I really wish more things were designed to be dark like this. You can change defaults on applications and for web pages, but unfortunately many apps and pages run counter to your preferences and you end up with dark text on your dark background or your lighter text on a light background, and you can't see it.

If I had it my way, light/white backgrounds would be outlawed. Do these forums have themes, a dark one preferably? :)

RAV TUX
October 12th, 2007, 12:43 AM
medium.

http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/albums/userpics/normal_snapshot96.png (http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=1)

raycosm
October 12th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Dark makes my eyes watery. Tried to use that NASA Firefox theme, and I swear my eyes were bleeding.

RAV TUX
October 12th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I always use dark grey themes, but I also use the stylish extension to dark theme all the websites so I get a dark grey background. The forums for instance are now a dark grey, light blue links, with an off white text. Very readable, and easy on the eyes.
http://xs219.xs.to/xs219/07370/ubuntuforumsgrey.png.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs219&d=07370&f=ubuntuforumsgrey.png)
and
http://xs319.xs.to/xs319/07390/openzen19.png.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs319&d=07390&f=openzen19.png)

The darkway GTK theme can be found on gnome-look.org. There are two versions; the original which used the Clearlooks engine, or my re-model using the Rezlooks engine.

Do you have a HowTo do this? (I have seen you post about this before, but never really thought about trying it before, and if I try can it be reversed if I tire of it?)....I'm specifically talking about the grey ubuntuforum.org look.

blithen
October 12th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Dark, I even have the brightness down on my monitor. brightness hurts my eyes.

Billy_McBong
October 12th, 2007, 01:09 AM
i like how dark themes look more but can't stand to use them

crimesaucer
October 12th, 2007, 01:23 AM
I like them both. I write a lot of themes and sometimes they are dark, and sometimes they are light.

This is one of my favorite ones that I wrote that I'm really proud of:

Large View: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-1-1.png
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-1-2.png

a12ctic
October 12th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I'm using murrina ocean, the menus are black and the windows are white and the text/other stuff is blue. I like it alot.

lode
October 12th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Light is the way of the light.

benerivo
November 1st, 2007, 09:05 PM
It's easy to get a light theme you like (which is why they are the default), but much harder to get a dark one that works and that you personally like. Here's the 'High Contrast Inverse' theme that's inculded with Ubuntu with a few alterations (nothing downloaded other than the background image). The black glitches are created when taking the screen snapshot. A Halloween theme!

Scruffynerf
November 2nd, 2007, 12:37 AM
I much prefer a dark theme, and usually post in the screenshot thread for those interested.

It's interesting - I've a stock standard XP setup at work, so "bright" colours, however at home, where I 'choose' to do stuff, rather than have to, I much prefer dark - I find it easier on my eyes, however I will agree that white backgrounded websites can be a little jarring.

Oh, CRT screen if relevant.

-grubby
November 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
in between. Light themes hurt my eyes, but themes that are too dark make text hard to read

Fbot1
November 2nd, 2007, 12:51 AM
Light, dark ones make me sleepy.

emiltusiowy
November 2nd, 2007, 12:51 AM
I prefer light themes, they looks more elegant :) Gilouche is just the best GNOME theme for me...

Lux Perpetua
November 2nd, 2007, 02:10 AM
In principle, dark themes, but it's sort of hard to find good ones. Also, dark themes tend to interact badly with applications that don't use GTK properly (Firefox, OpenOffice).

n3tfury
November 2nd, 2007, 02:14 AM
It's easy to get a light theme you like (which is why they are the default), but much harder to get a dark one that works and that you personally like. Here's the 'High Contrast Inverse' theme that's inculded with Ubuntu with a few alterations (nothing downloaded other than the background image). The black glitches are created when taking the screen snapshot. A Halloween theme!

i hate those black bars, too.

Guitar John
April 14th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I'm trying a dark theme for a while. I found this wallpaper, which I really like and it works well with the High Contrast Inverse theme. But it's going to take some getting used to.

As I type this, I'm looking at a small black area with white text (the area I'm typing in) surrounded by a bright white web page...

...and that dorky looking guy down in the corner there waving the LOL! sign at me.

SomeGuyDude
April 14th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Dark themes are the king.

Unfortunately, as a laptop user, I'm on battery a lot so I need to have the brightness cranked down. As a result, it's lighter themes for me or I literally can't see what's going on. But I keep them monochrome and muted, so... not "bright".

SomeGuyDude
April 14th, 2008, 04:35 AM

A better idea is to take a light theme you like and mess with the colors. I found Clearlooks is great with the colors cranked to black, or Aurora in this case:

Lostincyberspace
April 14th, 2008, 05:01 AM
medium green I really like green I have a picture of a forest bridge that I know well and it reminds me of home. I included it so you all could see.

3rdalbum
April 14th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I switch between dark themes and moderate themes. I sometimes change themes depending on mood; for instance, if I'm depressed, I switch to the Phenix theme which is aqua blue.

elmer_42
April 14th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I like dark themes because they do not hurt my eyes as much. I have Stylish scripts for most of my favorite webpages that are not dark.

era86
April 14th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Doesn't a dark theme save energy? Seeing as to how brightness leads to more energy consumption. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I still prefer a lighter theme.