PDA

View Full Version : Other Distros

tjagoda
October 9th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I know we all use Ubuntu, but do any of you use anything else? I run my servers at work on Debian, because of it's famed stability. I'm also working with CentOS, because most of the datacenters around here run that or an RPM-based distro.

gbjazzman
October 9th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I have Damn Small running on a older laptop of mine, and it works like a charm. I do use Fedora a bit at school, also

tjagoda
October 10th, 2007, 12:13 AM
I've never used DSL.

gbjazzman
October 10th, 2007, 01:30 AM
I like it because it allows me to run a modern OS on a system that could otherwise only handle windows 98. It doesn't do power management as well as some of the other distros, but it's not that big of a deal since the laptop I put it on generally doesn't get unplugged much.

tjagoda
October 11th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Who wouldn't want to run the wonderful glory that was windows 98? =P

Medieval_Creations
October 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I still like tinkering with them all. To my wife's dismay, I like to install and test different linux flavors. I just downloaded PCLinux & CentOS to play with over the weekend.

But I always come back to the Xubuntu and will switch over to Fluxbuntu, once it's released.

gbjazzman
October 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Oooh, there's gonna be a Ubuntu with Fluxbox natively installed? I've been thinking about running fluxbox/openbox and that would be a cure for my lazyness

Medieval_Creations
October 14th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Yup.. I can't wait... Eye candy is kool and all, but I like the more minimalistic approach to DE's.

http://fluxbuntu.org/

gbjazzman
October 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I'm with you there. I'll probably give KDE4 a try when it comes out but I prefer the lightweight GUIs

Medieval_Creations
October 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I run xfce4 now. I don't have any issue with it, but I've used Fluxbox/BlackBox before and miss it.

The site's down for the moment (obviously), but one that they state about Fluxbuntu, is that it isn't just Ubuntu-Server with Fluxbox. They actually are trying to slim everything down and not load anything that isn't a necessity.

That's another reason I'm looking at it. As it is, I do a command line install and run a small script to install all the appz I want.

gbjazzman
October 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Now I've got a question, what's the difference between Blackbox, fluxbox and openbox? I've read the wikipedia page and saw the list of differences, but is there a functional difference between the three or do they all run the same?

Medieval_Creations
October 16th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Nothing really. The only real difference is that FLuxbox is still being developed and that's why there are now differences. It was based off BlackBox.

rustybronco
October 17th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Centos5 on the server, ubuntu 7.10 on all the rest.

timcredible
October 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM
we've got redhat at work (yuck) and i still have 1 machine running pclinuxos.

tjagoda
October 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Why do you say yuck about Red Hat? Just because you're an Ubuntu kind of guy, or because you actually don't like the quality of your product?