PDA

View Full Version : will ubuntu server go down next week?

funrider
October 9th, 2007, 05:29 PM
guess many people will download 7.10 when it out next Wednesday. You guys think the ftp server will be down?:lolflag:

LaRoza
October 9th, 2007, 05:32 PM
guess many people will download 7.10 when it out next Wednesday. You guys think the ftp server will be down?:lolflag:

For a little bit, probably. It happened with Feisty.

FuturePilot
October 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Yep sort of happened with Feisty. It kept timing out after a while. You could use a closer server.

funrider
October 9th, 2007, 06:07 PM
i will get all three versions - ubuntu and kubuntu 64 bit since i want to try migrating to kde4.

xbuntu 32 bit will be for my slow acer 499 laptop.

sorry to bring you down, ubuntu server :lolflag:

insane_alien
October 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
maybe you should use bittorrent to get them all. i will be devoting ~3500MB of uploads to ubuntu.

ezphilosophy
October 9th, 2007, 07:38 PM
torrent.

jm2003uk
October 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Torrents for me too :grin:

Makes sense really. Keeps the load off their servers and everyone gets it fast. As long as people keep seeding for a bit anyway.

smartboyathome
October 9th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I will be going Torrent as well. It just makes too much sense in this case (many people wanting to download + it feeds off tons of people's internet = super fast download times). Maybe now I can get it up to 900KB/s.

funrider
October 9th, 2007, 07:51 PM
am i stupid or overexcited? thanks for the torrent tip. Time to run my KTorrent with the highest memory allocated!:guitar:

Incense
October 9th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Another vote to fire up ktorrent and help server load. This release is already getting a ton of press on Digg, and even the Ubuntu.com page seems to be pushing people towards the beta.

Of course reading the beginner forums I'm thinking that everyone has already upgraded, so maybe the servers will be alright. ;)

Incense
October 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
i will get all three versions - ubuntu and kubuntu 64 bit since i want to try migrating to kde4

KDE4 is not out for a couple months in case you didn't know...

Bungo Pony
October 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I'll probably be waiting a couple of days before I upgrade. I was extremely excited about Feisty since Edgy really didn't work well for me. Now that Feisty is working (reasonably) well, I can wait a couple more days. Enjoy the bandwidth wars :)

Paqman
October 9th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I torrented the Gutsy Beta when it came out and it was the fastest torrent i've ever had. The whole .iso came screaming down the pipe in under 20 mins. Smokin!

bobbocanfly
October 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I'll get Ubuntu 7.10 torrent and maybe Xubuntu 7.10 torrent
will keep seeding for the first few weeks to help out :D

funrider
October 9th, 2007, 08:25 PM
KDE4 is not out for a couple months in case you didn't know...

being stupid again. Thanks for pointing this out. Kubuntu will feature 3.5.7. KDE only by default. (I guess I have to postpone the migration until KDE 4 is out and stable)

smartboyathome
October 9th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Another vote to fire up ktorrent and help server load.

I vote for deluge. I use GNOME, so KDE just doesn't fit in with it. ;)

user1397
October 9th, 2007, 08:48 PM
i really don't get why torrents aren't the ONLY option...I mean, it's the perfect formula--the more people that use it, the faster the download! it's the exact opposite of an ftp download.

well i guess the only reasons are that either
a. people don't know how to use bittorrent or
b. they're that lazy!

Paqman
October 9th, 2007, 09:25 PM
b. they're that lazy!

c. Ubuntu's website is the most logical place for new users to come looking for Ubuntu

Plus, everybody knows that using torrents will send you straight to hell ;)

Mazza558
October 9th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Easily. People thought that the servers would easily cope with Feisty's release, but the server was down for just less than 48 hours last time. This was mostly due to the combined effect of ubuntu users and the Digg/ Slashdot effect, which increased traffic by a huge amount. I suspect people will resort to torrents in order to get the download quickly, which I agree with :)

I guarentee Ubuntu will get a LOT of front page stories in Digg on the 18th, and the following few days. There'll be a big story telling everyone it's released, which'll reach 1000+ diggs, and then there'll be a few articles reviewing it and talking about its features. I expect the furore around this release will easily exceed Feisty.

-grubby
October 9th, 2007, 11:31 PM
kubuntu 64 bit since i want to try migrating to kde4.

xbuntu 32 bit will be for my slow acer 499 laptop.

sorry to bring you down, ubuntu server :lolflag:

Kubuntu 7.10 won't have KDE 4

southernman
October 9th, 2007, 11:37 PM
+1 downloading with torrent... and reseeding many times over.

andrewabc
October 9th, 2007, 11:59 PM
i really don't get why torrents aren't the ONLY option...I mean, it's the perfect formula--the more people that use it, the faster the download! it's the exact opposite of an ftp download.

b. they're that lazy!
Not everyone has access to torrents.
Some ISP block ports and stuff.

I agree that torrent is the best option by far, but I will not be able to download it via torrent.

wesley_of_course
October 10th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I's smell a re-seeding contest and\or party in the mak'in !

Anyone ? :popcorn:

likemindead
October 10th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I use Deluge and would love to go the .torrent route. Where can you find good, safe, stable torrents for something like this? Thanks for the info.

andrewabc
October 10th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I use Deluge and would love to go the .torrent route. Where can you find good, safe, stable torrents for something like this? Thanks for the info.
ubuntu.com ???

OR
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

conehead77
October 10th, 2007, 01:02 AM

http://linuxtracker.org/

Raval
October 10th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Yep sort of happened with Feisty. It kept timing out after a while. You could use a closer server.

And with the increase of use since 7.04 including new users from those sold by Dell it might be a bit worse.

Perhaps they have counter measures incase this happenes again?

I'm on Dial up and will be downloading the the alternative disc by torrent.

Incense
October 10th, 2007, 02:17 AM
being stupid again. Thanks for pointing this out. Kubuntu will feature 3.5.7. KDE only by default. (I guess I have to postpone the migration until KDE 4 is out and stable)

I'm sure that Kubuntu will seed down some KDE4 goodies much as OpenSUSE is doing through the backports. Looking forward to it!

Raval
October 10th, 2007, 02:20 AM
I's smell a re-seeding contest and\or party in the mak'in !

Anyone ? :popcorn:

Yup I can see ppl bragging about how much upload bandwidth was used.

Dimitriid
October 10th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Torrents are not an option for people wanting to go 'sudo apt-get distro upgrade' or whatever the command is.

So you might wanna try that and change your country repo to point out to some other repo that is likely to be deserted? Even if normally gets worst speeds.

hanzomon4
October 10th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Gutsy is out in a week?

andrewabc
October 10th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Gutsy is out in a week?

October 18

SonicSteve
October 10th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Torrents are not an option for people wanting to go 'sudo apt-get distro upgrade' or whatever the command is.

So you might wanna try that and change your country repo to point out to some other repo that is likely to be deserted? Even if normally gets worst speeds.

You can download the Alternate CD installer and upgrade with it. The live CD can't do that. Last time I gave the apt-get upgrade a chance and I won't do it again, at least not in the first few days following the release. Last time the servers were hit pretty hard.

Dimitriid
October 10th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Whats the procedure with the Alternate? It sounds like a good idea for my NB ( my NB will be my main Ubuntu system now, im leaving my desk for XP and Arch )

Incense
October 10th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Whats the procedure with the Alternate? It sounds like a good idea for my NB ( my NB will be my main Ubuntu system now, im leaving my desk for XP and Arch )

This was for 7.04, but it should still be the same process.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Upgrading using the alternate CD/DVD

Use this method if the system being upgraded is not connected to the Internet.

Download and burn the alternate installation CD

Insert it into your CD-ROM drive

A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade using that CD

Follow the on-screen instructions

If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for any reason, you may also run the following command using Alt+F2:

gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Note that for Kubuntu the upgrade dialogue will not be displayed and you will need to install gksu before running the above command (it will not work with kdesu).
Manual command-line upgrade (not recommended)

Please note - this method is less reliable. If you use this method, you MUST be prepared to fix problems manually, such as packages being unexpectedly removed, apt crashing unexpectedly, etc. Using Update Manager (see above) is likely to be much less problematic.

Instructions for this method can be found on FeistyUpgradesManual.

Frak
October 10th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Help the community, plz seed :)

Really, just a couple of updates for me, since I'm in Gutsy already.

Spr0k3t
October 10th, 2007, 05:59 AM
I'm going to torrent the release of Gutsy for two weeks across the board. I'll have 32bit, 64bit, and alternative of Ubuntu. I just added two more wireless nodes to share neighbors upload bandwidth. Maximum upload I've seen so far with this setup is 185k/s. So I'm ready for it.

FuturePilot
October 10th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Help the community, plz seed :)

Really, just a couple of updates for me, since I'm in Gutsy already.

I'll be seeding for sure. Let's have a seeding party:lolflag:

Few updates for my laptop since it's at Gutsy already.(upgrade went perfectly:D)
Fresh install for the desktop and other laptop.

NovaAesa
October 10th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Yep, a torrent will be the way to go for me. Although it could take a while - by the 18th, my broadband is sure to be shaped (at 28.8K :()

Bothered
October 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Didn't the torrent tracker go down for a while as well when feisty was released?

EdThaSlayer
October 10th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I can't wait till the full version comes out. Will be on #ubuntuforums on freenode for the big countdown. :P

slimdog360
October 10th, 2007, 11:42 AM
be nice and bit torrent

Raval
October 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Help the community, plz seed :).

On 56K and will be seeding for the first week.

Lets post a new thread with links to the torrents and an encouraging message to seed October 18th.

BTW what time (GMT) will the links be posted?

anaconda
October 10th, 2007, 12:09 PM

b. they're that lazy!

or
c. The use of torrens is not allowed at work or at school!

good that there is also the ftp option.

user1397
October 11th, 2007, 04:29 AM
or
c. The use of torrens is not allowed at work or at school!

good that there is also the ftp option.Yes, good point, but I don't see why they don't encourage bittorrent downloads more on ubuntu.com
It would take a load off of their servers, a big load...

Overbyte
October 11th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Yep, a torrent will be the way to go for me. Although it could take a while - by the 18th, my broadband is sure to be shaped (at 28.8K :()

Did you try encryption?

Just curious, any guesstimates on how large this swarm will be? (seeds/peers/trackers).

Frak
October 11th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Did you try encryption?

Just curious, any guesstimates on how large this swarm will be? (seeds/peers/trackers).
I'm going to guess 3,400 leechers first day, 1500 seeders/1300 leechers next day, 2000 seeders/1000 leechers next day.

funrider
October 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM
besides seeding it, let burn some CDs and give it to your co-workers :KS