PDA

View Full Version : The meaning...

the.dark.lord
October 9th, 2007, 01:17 PM
What do you guys think is the meaning of life?

sunexplodes
October 9th, 2007, 01:25 PM
To live it well?

I don't think there IS a universal meaning, the point is to find meaning in doing what you love.

LaRoza
October 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Death.

Death defines life, if something cannot die, it is not alive.

the.dark.lord
October 9th, 2007, 01:35 PM
The meaning is to create what you desire....

Why? The reason is ridiculously simple - There is nothing else to do.

forrestcupp
October 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Wow, I'm the first to say 42.

Everyone's life has its own personal meaning, and it's the job of each individual to find out what that is. But it probably should have something to do with bettering mankind even if it is in a small way unnoticeable to the masses.

the.dark.lord
October 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Everyone's life has its own personal meaning, and it's the job of each individual to find out what that is. But it probably should have something to do with bettering mankind even if it is in a small way unnoticeable to the masses.

There is no fixed meaning... The meaning is what you choose for yourself

LaRoza
October 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM

I am ashamed...but the question left out the universe and everything, so I don't feel so bad. I hardly equate my life with the universe and everything, therefore, the meaning will be different.

the.dark.lord
October 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I am ashamed...but the question left out the universe and everything, so I don't feel so bad. I hardly equate my life with the universe and everything, therefore, the meaning will be different.

You can't, we live in an open system, not an isolated system :)

chewearn
October 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Meh! You skipped the step of creating the ultimate computational machine to calculate that, so it doesn't count.:biggrin:

phenest
October 9th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Dictionary (Encarta) definition:

Existence in physical world: the quality that makes living animals and plants different from dead organisms and inorganic matter. Its functions include the ability to take in food, adapt to the environment, grow, and reproduce.

Other than that, why does life need a meaning? If you're alive, then live it!

phenest
October 9th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Meh! You skipped the step of creating the ultimate computational machine to calculate that, so it doesn't count.:biggrin:

Of course he did, because it's already been created. You're standing on it. Or did you miss the final episode of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

arbulus
October 9th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I defintely agree with others here in saying that I do not believe that there is an all-emcompasing, universal meaning to life.

I think some when questioning the meaning of life are wondering what to do with their own lives. Maybe the thought that there is some sort of collective goal then they can either measure the success of their life by it relative to everyone else or the decision as to what to do with their lives is already made. In any case, I think the idea of a meaning is simply a comfort to people.

I, however, think that we have no mission, goal, objective, or meaning to our lives. But we do have this wonderful gift of time here and we can choose to do something meaninful with that time. I don't think we can lay our lives down side by side with another and measure "He was more successful than me" or "His life was more meaningful". I think it's all relative. What matters is the impact you made on the lives of the people you care about and how people might remember you when you've gone.

beercz
October 9th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Get born, eat, s**t, breed, die ....

popch
October 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Yes it does. He's just using a leaner OS (xubuntu, I imagine?).

In that case, the correct answer would be 42-2? We need another Earth to find the answer to that.

jnorthr
October 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM
there is no spoon...

forrestcupp
October 9th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I am ashamed...but the question left out the universe and everything, so I don't feel so bad.
I guess we need to figure out the meaning of the universe and everything and subtract it from 42.

There is no fixed meaning... The meaning is what you choose for yourself
If you already knew, then why did you ask? But the strange thing is that if you are the one who is right, and others are wrong, then ultimately that means there is a fixed meaning or answer.

But I think that even if there are people who don't have a fixed personal meaning for their life, that doesn't mean that there aren't people who do. And maybe some of the people without a fixed meaning for their life could have one if they wanted to.

pelle.k
October 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM
The meaning is to create what you desire....

Why? The reason is ridiculously simple - There is nothing else to do.
+1

ticopelp
October 9th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Cheetos.

DDuong
October 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
The meaning of life?

You create your own meaning of life.

the.dark.lord
October 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM
If you already knew, then why did you ask? But the strange thing is that if you are the one who is right, and others are wrong, then ultimately that means there is a fixed meaning or answer.

But I think that even if there are people who don't have a fixed personal meaning for their life, that doesn't mean that there aren't people who do. And maybe some of the people without a fixed meaning for their life could have one if they wanted to.

Excuse me, I'm not forcing my beliefs on anyone... just wondered what people thought about the meaning of life, while I stated what I thought.

Your post here kinda backs what I said - ...without a fixed meaning for their life could have one..... Precisely, your meaning of life is what you choose for yourself.

jpittack
October 9th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Suprised to not find an answer based on any religion.

For me: To use my talents and gifts from God to praise God in everyway possible while listen to his voice to find his plan for my life so that I may live happily in this life and enjoy the afterlife for eternity.

the.dark.lord
October 9th, 2007, 07:13 PM

For me: To use my talents and gifts from God to praise God in everyway possible while listen to his voice to find his plan for my life so that I may live happily in this life and enjoy the afterlife for eternity.

Of course, you should listen to God... But She/He does not have a plan for you... you choose a plan for yourself...

jpittack
October 9th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I agree that you choose a plan for yourself. Everyone has free will. But can someone with limited knowledge know what is best for their lives in relation to an omnipotent being? I have seen a lot of lives ruined, my friends included, because they choose their own paths for their lives. Now they are depressed and can not fit into society, making them even more depressed. When a friend of mine choose to follow God, she dumped an abusive drug addict and is now in college dating a well respected gentleman.

I realize this is touchy, and I have not verifed this for myself (but will here shortly if I can), but doesn't the Bible state that God made man (refering to Adam) in his image?

mridkash
October 9th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I think God is Energy, it powers us, powers nature, powers universe. And of course, you know e=mc˛ so all material world is energy too!
It comes in many forms, like the electricity in our brain (our soul), food energy in our body, solar energy for earth etc

jpittack
October 9th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Here is what I have as far as man/woman image debate goes.

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.

Eve is not yet created. Giving the He.

Conflict to this
Genesis 1:26
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Who would "our" be referring to? Them refers to mankind, not just Adam. I think our refers to the angels.

I'm glad God doesn't come right out and say it.

jpittack
October 9th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Sort of my conflict to mdirkash. I would say that food (energy) powers us as far as day to day activitys go. Flight or Fight I think is a defense built in. When someone has a 22 hour day and sleeps for two hours, wakes up for work and doesn't get home until the next night, that is when I believe God intervines.

I am a strong believer in free will and believe that we can only sustain ourselfs for so long, or the life that we have now. Because evil does exist, and does empower people, even though it is for harm, I can't believe that everything comes from God. Indirectly yes, everything came from God. I would say that God did not create evil. God gave mankind freewill and then we created evil.

Ireclan
October 9th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I realize this may sound a little weird, but there are actually TWO answers to the meaning of life. What it started out as being was survival. And for all non-sentient species, this continues to be the meaning of life. But sentience overthrew the first meaning for its respective species. Now the meaning of life is indeed what you choose it to be, though I think some choices are obviously better than others. If anyone would care to know MY meaning, or for me to elaborate further, I'll be happy to.

DDuong
October 9th, 2007, 07:47 PM
This is going to turn into a religion debate real soon. But I will give my input on this:

I have seen a lot of lives ruined, my friends included, because they choose their own paths for their lives. Now they are depressed and can not fit into society, making them even more depressed. When a friend of mine choose to follow God, she dumped an abusive drug addict and is now in college dating a well respected gentleman.

As human beings we adapt to our problems. If you have made a mistake/decision, you should pick yourself up and tell yourself not to make the same mistakes again. That's how we evolve.

That's great that your friend followed God and helped her out. However, there are millions of incidents where people who left the world of drugs without a higher power but instead they resort to themselves to help them solve the issue.

So believe what you want to believe, as long as you are a compassionate sentient being who cherishes other people's lives...oh and smile :)

Incense
October 9th, 2007, 08:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life

Of course the answer is 42, and always knowing where your towel is...

Acglaphotis
October 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Let's ask bash:

$whatis 'the meaning of life?'
the meaning of life?: nothing appropriate.

The real answer, of course, is cheese.

Nano Geek
October 9th, 2007, 09:47 PM

For me: To use my talents and gifts from God to praise God in everyway possible while listen to his voice to find his plan for my life so that I may live happily in this life and enjoy the afterlife for eternity.I was tempted, but I thought that it shouldn't be a religious thread if it didn't start out that way.

But since it has now become one, I will say what I think.

Man's purpose on earth is to glorify God and enjoy him forever.

(This should probably go in the Backyard.)

Anonii
October 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Post count.

rolando2424
October 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I'm a Nihilist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism)

Also, I'm a atheist (well, technically I'm Catholic, I went to church and all that, but I didn't believe what they thought, except perhaps the be good to others part, but I knew that already (stuff about honor, and good education, I don't need the Heaven's Bait to make me be nice, or otherwise, I'll be sent to the big bad hell). I only went to church because that was the best place for trading Pokemon Cards :P) .
But I'm happy... I must be doing something wrong.

But let me tell you, if a god does exist, and it created us all, them it must be laughing so hard... I know I would.

Also, according to most religions, if you have sex, outside the bounds of reproduction (including masturbation), you'll be sent to the religion's version of hell, so I guess I'll see my friends there, and we all make some barbecue. Everyone is invited (non-hellist too).

Also, some religions say that if you do not follow that religion, you'll also go to it's version of hell. Since there more than two religions like that, and one cannot have more than one religion, everyone will go to hell, or something like that. :P

Also, I always though about something (this also includes the ghosts part and that stuff), how would this apply to life on other planets? Do they have they own version of god/heaven/hell? Do we all get mixed together and bump into each other? What OS do they run?

Or another more practical example, this planets animals and plant. Do they also go to heaven/hell? Isn't god (and the whole supernatural business) simply something we created to explain something we can't explain?

"Oh look. Big White Crashing Burning Killing Thing came down from the coulds!" "why?" "IT MUST BE SOME BIG POWERFUL BEING THAT IS MAD AT US FOR KILLING THAT MASTODON!!11!!!11!!" (yes, Neanderthals knew leet speak).

So there you have it, now we have some mean vengeful god/s that will strike you with lighting the second you slip some of it's strict rules. Why not add some human representative, to which we all must bow, or we'll be all sent to hell (hell, it worked in the Middle Ages ("No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition" right?)).

*sigh* I better add a smile or you all think I'm attacking you or something,,,

:lolflag: <---- (I think this will do :D)

pelle.k
October 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM
So God created man in his own image
So in effect we are gods. But in the end, we are all one and the same.
We are pieces of the whole. Pieces with amnesia.

Has anyone here read "conversations with god"? (It's *not* a christian book, nor is it representing any particular religion). Very interesting stuff.
Also i am particulary fond of this quote from SETH, by Jane Roberts;

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

Nano Geek
October 9th, 2007, 11:23 PM
So in effect we are gods. But in the end, we are all one and the same.
We are pieces of the whole. Pieces with amnesia.Actually that's false.
I could make a statue in you image, but it wouldn't be you would it?

fwojciec
October 9th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Meaning is something you should give to life with the way you live.
Don't let anybody else determine the meaning of life in advance for you ;)

Paqman
October 9th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Work
Reproduce
Perish

Mwahahahahaaaa!!!!

southernman
October 10th, 2007, 12:10 AM
If I may, without adding my take on religion.

Two of the most powerful videos I've watched are "The Secret" and "The Power of Intention." IIRC, neither of them speak directly of a God, but speak more of "the source."

Dr. Wayne Dyer gave a very eye opening explanation of that which we come from... at least for me it was. I'll try not to butcher it to much and give a brief rundown of that explanation:

When thinking about where you come from, you have to eventually consider the fact that.... "your parents did it." If you go one step further back in time you, at conception, were the the size of a dot. Taking that dot and placing it under a microscope, you'll see tiny particles floating. Taking one of those particles, and increasing the power of the microscope, you see yet more tiny particles... floating in space. Take yet another particle from here and increase the magnification of the microscope and you see the same thing.

He gets to the point where quantum psychics are involved, to say that you take that tiniest of particles and put it in a particle accelerator, causing it to collide with another particle of similar size and open the machine to find nothing there.

His point was that we all come from energy (the source as he refers to it)... an energy you can't see but exists everywhere and in everything. Said energy knows no bounds of limitations meaning anything is possible from that source, energy, god etc... however you want to interpret it.

I know that my version did his own words no justice, but maybe it is enough to get the ideal of what I wanted to share on this topic. If you are into this sort of thing, I strongly suggest watching both of these I mentioned above.

I used to believe that our destiny was already laid out at conception... that is something I no longer hold on to.

With all that being said, allow me to suggest that even the poorest of the poor, the most depressed of the depressed etc, etc... can find riches and happiness, beyond their dreams, only if (and not until) one changes the way in which we talk to ourselves.

To me, the meaning of life is whatever you perceive it to be... albeit good, bad, or indifferent.

pelle.k
October 10th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Two of the most powerful videos I've watched are "The Secret" and "The Power of Intention." IIRC, neither of them speak directly of a God, but speak more of "the source."
You should listen (there are a lot of audio books on this out there) to "The Law of Deliberate Creation" by Esther Hicks. btw, she is one of the personalities in "The secret".
"Ask and it is Given", by the same authors is also highly recommended

This is threading a fine line for most people. People are generally not open to new concepts like these. My grandma used to tell me she told her friends (about 100 years ago) that when she was old, people would have gone to the moon and stuff like that, which we take for granted nowadays. You know what? They laughed at her. In their oppinion, this *was* impossible.

I even have trouble convincig my friends of proven facts in quantum physics. To them, it's magic, and thus not possible.

southernman
October 10th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks pelle.k - I'll look into that after dinner. :)

-grubby
October 10th, 2007, 02:09 AM
to be on Ubuntu Forums answering questions about the meaning of life!

homeskillit
October 10th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I have to agree with "Incense" . 42. I think is the answer.

fwojciec
October 10th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I have to agree with "Incense" . 42. I think is the answer.

funny you should post it as a post #42 in this thread... coincidence? I don't think so.... we're on to something here ;)

BLTicklemonster
October 10th, 2007, 04:39 AM
The meaning of life is, to not waste time wondering what it means. Live it or regret the time you spent worrying.

God told me that on top of a cliff one time.

I was so elated I fell off.

I got better.

Now I work for the government.

:lolflag:

southernman
October 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM
You should listen (there are a lot of audio books on this out there) to "The Law of Deliberate Creation" by Esther Hicks. btw, she is one of the personalities in "The secret".
"Ask and it is Given", by the same authors is also highly recommended

This is threading a fine line for most people. People are generally not open to new concepts like these. My grandma used to tell me she told her friends (about 100 years ago) that when she was old, people would have gone to the moon and stuff like that, which we take for granted nowadays. You know what? They laughed at her. In their oppinion, this *was* impossible.

I even have trouble convincig my friends of proven facts in quantum physics. To them, it's magic, and thus not possible.pelle.k - Thank you! I found their site and listened to the first meeting with Abraham... spiritual stuff - quite moving!

happysmileman
October 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Absolutely nothing, nothing at all... No god, no sane beliefs, just random coincidental formations of molecules that can reproduce and spread with the characteristics of what we know as life, which may or may not exist on other planets.

That's how I see it anyway. And as for the "meaning", my goals in life are to get a good job (preferably programming), get married to someone I love, and enjoy myself, though I do not consider that a "meaning" to life, just my goals.