PDA

View Full Version : Amarok 2.0: New playlist

LuisAugusto
October 9th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Amarok devs recently showed they new shiny playlist.

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/uploads/playlistgottheblues2.png

The idea came from one developer, who made a mockup:

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/1654/amaroknewplaylistpartdeqq4.th.jpg (http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=amaroknewplaylistpartdeqq4.jpg)

The look came from a mockup on kde-look.org:

http://www.kde-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/66926-1.jpg

So, what do you think about it? Remember, it's still work in progress

tehhaxorr
October 9th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I think, like all the new features in K4, that it looks freaking awesome.

thisllub
October 9th, 2007, 06:58 AM
When they stop Amarok from crashing it will be the best audio player available.

Arathorn
October 9th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Well, they can hardly make Amarok suck more, so I guess it's probably an improvement. Even as a total KDE addict I'm using Quod Libet.

n3tfury
October 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM

interesting. hasn't crashed on me yet.

incidence
October 9th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Well, they can hardly make Amarok suck more, so I guess it's probably an improvement. Even as a total KDE addict I'm using Quod Libet.

Just curious, why you think it sucks?

stimpack
October 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM

You must be aware from previous polls and such, that you are very much in the minority. So saying it sucks is very flimsy talk. AmaroK is a huge shining light in the Linux world, its an app we have that beats the crap of Windows and Mac apps, including iTunes. So use Quod if you like, but don't smear AmaroK.

As for the playlist, it looks great. :)

n3tfury
October 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM
You must be aware from previous polls and such, that you are very much in the minority. So saying it sucks is very flimsy talk. AmaroK is a huge shining light in the Linux world, its an app we have that beats the crap of Windows and Mac apps, including iTunes. So use Quod if you like, but don't smear AmaroK.

i'm not sure if it beats the crap out of Foobar, but the rest most certainly.

Magnes
October 9th, 2007, 12:47 PM
If it will be posibble to change the colors, then it would be great!

n3tfury
October 9th, 2007, 01:03 PM
If it will be posibble to change the colors, then it would be great!

yeah, that bothers me.

arbulus
October 9th, 2007, 02:09 PM

I had this problem at first. I posted a thread here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=520482 if you'd like to see the responses.

It ended up for me being a Java problem. I changed my java runtime environment and everything works great now.

LuisAugusto
October 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM
i'm not sure if it beats the crap out of Foobar, but the rest most certainly.

Agree, Foobar200, has everything amarok has and more (but you need to find every damn plugin).

I was a little skeptic about Amarok 2 and it's new layout. But since I saw this new playlist (which is similar to some you can find on foobar200) it looks really nice, I still doubt a little about the plasma context box in the middle and the Music Collection in the left, it would be a lot better if they could kill all the other tabs and make the Plasma Conext Browser make everything inside itself (Music Collection, Mangatune Music Store, etc)

Incense
October 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Looks good I guess. I really to see how usable the new Amarok really is. The mock ups look really busy and cluttered. It's already a fantastic music manager, I would hate to see them screw that up.

n3tfury
October 10th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Agree, Foobar200, has everything amarok has and more (but you need to find every damn plugin).

but that was the beauty of it. it could be super light with a few plugins or still very light with alot of plugins. what it ended up being or looking like was totally up to you. not unlike the OS of choice around these parts.

LuisAugusto
October 10th, 2007, 04:55 AM
but that was the beauty of it. it could be super light with a few plugins or still very light with alot of plugins. what it ended up being or looking like was totally up to you. not unlike the OS of choice around these parts.

Yep, but all those damn plugins could be on foobar2000-look.org XD

I just hate to be looking for them all over the internet,

n3tfury
October 10th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Yep, but all those damn plugins could be on foobar2000-look.org XD

I just hate to be looking for them all over the internet,

i always got quick links through hydrogenaudio, but i hear ya.

Arathorn
October 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM

I'll try to explain. I'm used to Foobar2000 in Windows, which is by far the best audio player I've ever seen (I really hate iTunes btw). Compared to the configurability of Foobar2000, Amarok feels like a wasteland (I agree, Quod Libet can hardly be configured as well, and is far from perfect, but at least the defaults aren't so bad). Amarok is also horribly slow with a large collection even when I use MySQL as database.
Bah, I would prefer to just use Foobar in WINE without stuttering, but that's still impossible.

awakatanka
October 10th, 2007, 04:43 PM

I was a little skeptic about Amarok 2 and it's new layout. But since I saw this new playlist (which is similar to some you can find on foobar200) it looks really nice, I still doubt a little about the plasma context box in the middle and the Music Collection in the left, it would be a lot better if they could kill all the other tabs and make the Plasma Conext Browser make everything inside itself (Music Collection, Mangatune Music Store, etc)

If it can do the same tricks dolphin can do then you don't have to worry

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0FuB4YZfC4s

fjf
October 10th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Is there support for cue sheets at last?

jimbo99
December 15th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Amarok is a good program though for a long time the author was arrogant and would not address his issues. He was constantly attacking the users in the forums rather than treating them like humans and resolving the problems they brought up.

Yeah, for some time amarok used to crash and I mean crash and crash it did. Crashed day, crashed all night, crashed in between crashes. it crashed so often one though they'd have to put the FAA into a coma. Amarok used to crash so bad it was breaking apart at the atomic level.

Yes, it crashed and it crashed so much it was insane.

It hasn't crashed in a while. It has been pretty stable. But it doesn't change the fact that the author was arrogant and attacked users on his own forums. I mean he attacked them. He insulted them. He belittled them. He was rude, inconsiderate. It is a wonder this product was cleaned up as much as it is. Someone should have spanked his mother when he was born that's how arrogant and nasty he was on the forums.

It is better and it hasn't crashed on me in quite a while. You can cause an error with it upon first set up and you do do this consistently regardless of the distro you use, but once that error occurs and you restart amarok generally it is stable.

Amarok has a ton of features, specifically related to tagging that even the best commercial and other high quality competing programs can't even conceive of. The playback, the scripts, the character of the player is top notch. Few if any can really compete against it. It is weak in ipod/iphone support and the indexing of your collection can be a real ball breaker but overall it is capable and fun to use.

herbster
December 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I have not had Amarok crash in ages, I can't even recall the last time. It's stable as it gets for me and is easy to use, I've got my Logi keyboard multimedia keys set to its shortcuts, couldn't ask for more. That playlist screenshot looks great! Real amped about 2.0.

yatt
December 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Amarok can play flacs without having to stop every third song to process it.

Or maybe that is just my Foobar.

Spike-X
December 15th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I've got my Logi keyboard multimedia keys set to its shortcuts

How'd you manage that?

n3tfury
December 15th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Amarok can play flacs without having to stop every third song to process it.

Or maybe that is just my Foobar.

that's definitely just yours. i use foobar and flac exclusively when i'm in windows.

herbster
December 15th, 2007, 09:06 PM
How'd you manage that?

Not sure if you're using Gnome, probably System > Preferences > Keyboard something or another but I use Fluxbox, just edited /.fluxbox/keys, using xev in terminal to find out the key's name and added entries.

Nesnej Trick
November 9th, 2008, 04:21 AM
It looks nice, no doubt.

But can you switch order of the playlist from album-by-album to e.g. alphabetic by track title, by file type or by length? If not, tell the dev responsible behind that to quit what he's doing right now, disengage from KDE completely and call the Gnome team instead.

Seriously, Amarok 2 is glossy and cool, I will give you that, but why the hell did someone think it was a good idea to take out the possibility to play the entire playlist on shuffle? Back in the days, my collection = my playlist. Frankly, I don't intend to change that either.

With KDE 4 I often get the feeling that the baby got thrown out with the bathwater. User choice being our beloved baby.

LuisAugusto
November 9th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Amarok 2 it's awesome. Let clarify things:

This thread is extremely old
You're just bashing KDE
Amarok 2 it's much better at practice than in screenshots
You're a pretty crappy troll :)