PDA

View Full Version : enlightenment vs. gnome

BDNiner
October 8th, 2007, 08:59 PM
What are the difference's or advatages/disadvantages of gnome vs. e17. i just installed e17 and after some minimal poking around it seems just like gnome. I have not installed any applications for e17 so i am running the ones that i installed under gnome. aside from the visual effects what else is there to e17.

FuturePilot
October 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM
This sounds like a good thread for RAV TUX;)
He can tell you about all the ins and outs of e

ComplexNumber
October 8th, 2007, 11:26 PM
i haven't tried enlightenment for about 7 or 8 years or so. i remember it being a bit too eye-candy-heavy. i remember there was an alien theme that had faces or something hanging off the end of each window. it looked a bit too far fetched and overdone for my liking, and it seemed to focus far more on eye candy than functionality and practicality. it may have changed since then, but that's how i remember it.

omns
October 9th, 2007, 12:02 AM
E17 has been in development for a long long time. I don't see it doing anything spectacular that KDE4, gnome or OSX can't give you. I don't see the point of it, but if you like wasting time on these sorts of things it's probably right up your alley :)

BDNiner
October 9th, 2007, 12:08 AM
wow the trolls come out at night. i am new to linux, been using it for about 6 months now. i am trying to learn more about it by installing various software. so it is not a waste of my time, and i don't care if it is a waste of yours.

RAV TUX
October 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
i haven't tried enlightenment for about 7 or 8 years or so. i remember it being a bit too eye-candy-heavy. i remember there was an alien theme that had faces or something hanging off the end of each window. it looked a bit too far fetched and overdone for my liking, and it seemed to focus far more on eye candy than functionality and practicality. it may have changed since then, but that's how i remember it.
Actually not a lot of eye candy as you can see from my screenshot, I find e17 the most functional and practical DE(Shell) to use.

I find it better then GNOME, KDE, OS X, or XFCE.

It is more like a highly functional Fluxbox, that is easily customizable. Not mainstream at all, so if you like being spoonfed your DE, I suggest you stay with anyone of the alternatives.

If you like a truly unique Linux desktop experience then e17 is the way to go.

I see e17 as the only serious choice in Linux.

Enlightenment 17(Smoke Theme, Circuit animated background) on Xubuntu 7.10
http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/albums/userpics/normal_snapshot67.png (http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0)

Once you reach Enlightenment you will see what I mean.

omns
October 9th, 2007, 12:14 AM
wow the trolls come out at night. i am new to linux, been using it for about 6 months now. i am trying to learn more about it by installing various software. so it is not a waste of my time, and i don't care if it is a waste of yours.

Like I said, right up your alley.. enjoy :)

RAV TUX
October 9th, 2007, 12:17 AM

I formally apologize to you for the trolling actions of my fellow ubuntuforum.org members, sometimes people get over zealous about their Linux DE of choice.

Here are some practical tips:

To install e17 CVS on Xubuntu(or Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu) follow Rui Pais (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=862)'s guide here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546746&highlight=e17&page=10

To try out different themes and animated bakgrounds try the ones here:
http://www0.get-e.org/Themes/E17/
http://www0.get-e.org/Backgrounds/Animated/
and here:
http://www.e17-stuff.org/index.php?xcontentmode=7000
http://www.e17-stuff.org/index.php?xcontentmode=7050

I am not much into comparison contrast of one DE environment to another in fact I have all the majors ones installed and some little known WM's also.

I use KDE, GNOME, & XFCE applications within e17.

I do not see them as separate and distinct but part of a integral whole.

Do not be silly and let yourself be limited to only one DE/WM try and use them all. I find the DE fanboys out there a bit odd, and they exhibit a windows & Apple like behavior.

While I do find that e17 is the best for me and my taste I like and enjoy all DE/WM's.

This is what makes use Linux users, if I only wanted to stick with one DE/WM I would have stuck with Windows or Apple.

BDNiner
October 9th, 2007, 12:34 AM
yeah no problem RAV TUX. Fanboyism is somthing you have to get used to. one off topic question since you seem to be the go to guy on e17. why do i have an icon for each device when i log back into gnome? i got one for the floppy and dvd player on my desktop and one for the dvd player on my laptop. when i try and open them i get a message that the file cannot be found. can i delete them?

RAV TUX
October 9th, 2007, 12:46 AM
yeah no problem RAV TUX. Fanboyism is somthing you have to get used to. one off topic question since you seem to be the go to guy on e17. why do i have an icon for each device when i log back into gnome? i got one for the floppy and dvd player on my desktop and one for the dvd player on my laptop. when i try and open them i get a message that the file cannot be found. can i delete them?
Yes, simply right click and delete them.

thisllub
October 9th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I formally apologize to you for the trolling actions of my fellow ubuntuforum.org members, sometimes people get over zealous about their Linux DE of choice.

I got flamed last night for suggesting 4 ways that e17 was better than KDE.

RAV TUX
October 9th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I got flamed last night for suggesting 4 ways that e17 was better than KDE.

I would expect this from KDE & GNOME users.

Less from XFCE & Fluxbox users.

The DE wars are ridiculous and silly.

-grubby
October 9th, 2007, 02:18 AM
exactly...just use whatever you want that's the idea!

RAV TUX
October 9th, 2007, 02:34 AM
exactly...just use whatever you want that's the idea!
I use them all!!!....I love them all! ;)

Fbot1
October 9th, 2007, 02:45 AM

What the hell did you expect? You asked them for their thoughts so don't get all pissy. IMHO Enlightenment is in some ways better than Gnome (some libraries) but it is crap compared to KDE.

-grubby
October 9th, 2007, 02:56 AM
I use them all!!!....I love them all! ;)

ALL?!?!?!?:shock:

RAV TUX
October 9th, 2007, 02:58 AM
ALL?!?!?!?:shock:

All the major ones(DE) and quite a few little known(WM).

FuturePilot
October 9th, 2007, 03:01 AM
I would expect this from KDE & GNOME users.

Less from XFCE & Fluxbox users.

I agree. I don't understand the DE wars. But I am a Gnome user. Am I an exception?

p_quarles
October 9th, 2007, 03:08 AM
What the hell did you expect? You asked them for their thoughts so don't get all pissy. IMHO Enlightenment is in some ways better than Gnome (some libraries) but it is crap compared to KDE.
In this case, though, the OP was responding to a post that was relatively thought-free. Trolling != thinking.

I'm currently a KDE user, but have e17 installed alongside it, and am having fun exploring it.

Fbot1
October 9th, 2007, 03:55 AM
In this case, though, the OP was responding to a post that was relatively thought-free. Trolling != thinking.

I'm currently a KDE user, but have e17 installed alongside it, and am having fun exploring it.

How would you know how much thought was put in it?

JBAlaska
October 9th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I've got a spare Dell 4600S that I use to test distro's, A few nights ago I got the idea (RAV TUX lol) to install E17 on it...One word SWEET!

Man I love E17 on a puter with limited GPU ability's.. I passed out before I could get the animated icons working though lol.

I'm getting ready to install geubuntu on it tonight, may the vodka gods let me finish successfully.

Frak
October 9th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Didn't read the entire thread (yet), but I bet RAV TUX will say someting about e17. Something good about it.

Me, Gnome, just feels like home :)

darkmaster
December 1st, 2007, 12:37 AM
I've got a spare Dell 4600S that I use to test distro's, A few nights ago I got the idea (RAV TUX lol) to install E17 on it...One word SWEET!

Man I love E17 on a puter with limited GPU ability's.. I passed out before I could get the animated icons working though lol.

I'm getting ready to install geubuntu on it tonight, may the vodka gods let me finish successfully.

Nice to know it. Just remember that Packages for Prima Luna has already been released. And they can be tested and installed on any *ubuntu system without any fear of creating errors in it. So there's no real need to download the Live CD of Prima Luna if you already have an Ubuntu system installed. In any case, Geubuntu Luna Nuova (7.10) will come out in a few days
Thank you for the attention.
http://geubuntu.intilinux.com

Even if you install Geubuntu from the Live, remember to install the packages too, they will add some more functions to your Geubuntu and you'll be able to upgrade to Luna Nuova much more easily :)

SunnyRabbiera
December 1st, 2007, 12:44 AM
e17 is nice but not entirely my cup of tea.
Its light yes, its getting better yes, but I really feel it lacking in some areas.
the big issue is menu editing, and that is a big factor for me

Linuxratty
December 1st, 2007, 02:09 AM

Here are some practical tips:

To install e17 CVS on Xubuntu(or Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu) follow Rui Pais (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=862)'s guide here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546746&highlight=e17&page=10

:KS:cool::cool::cool::D
THANK YOU!!!!!

DDuong
December 1st, 2007, 05:49 AM
A few days ago, I installed E17 on Xubuntu Gutsy and I like it. It's VERY fast, uses less memory, and the eye candy is just a bonus :)

Gnome on the other hand is great, but IMO, I like something that is simple.

smartboyathome
December 1st, 2007, 06:44 AM
e17 is nice but not entirely my cup of tea.
Its light yes, its getting better yes, but I really feel it lacking in some areas.
the big issue is menu editing, and that is a big factor for me

I can add stuff fine using configuration > configuration panel > applications > new application. I don't really see a need for much menu editing (though I do use the exellent Run Command dialog a lot, since it is sometimes quicker to search for the command the program uses or for the program title itself than to search the menus).

Bungo Pony
December 1st, 2007, 07:46 AM
Just before I moved to Gutsy, I installed e17 and I must say that I really like it! Much more than KDE. But I'm still really happy in Gnome. Perhaps I will move over to e17 someday.

wrexallen
January 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM

As the original creator of the Aliens theme, I wanted to respond:

1st - Yes, it's mostly eye-candy. That was it's intention and at the time of the build (DR13.x) there wasn't much functionality, capable, with Enlightenment, in-of-itself.

2nd - It was my first (and only released) theme.

3rd - Someone ported it for DR14, which was a terrible port, but then someone ported it to DR 16, which was a good porting. The porter even asked me for permission to do so (not that he needed it), so I gave him my original sources and graphics.

4th - Practicality is perspective. It was practical enough, for my 21" monitor, at the time, heh.

FYI: I haven't used Enlightenment, for years. Further, after Nueromancer theme came out, I used it, exclusively, when using E.

-Wrex

Lord DarkPat
January 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM
RAV TU, if u tell me how you made your desktop look like that, I'm so switching:guitar::guitar: