PDA

View Full Version : Xfire Client on Wine!

Phrellex
October 8th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Xfire on Ubuntu

I have managed to find an easy way to get Xfire client working through wine. Its operation is limited and I have not tested it greatly.

Things that work...

Login
Game Detection
Installation Via Ubuntu
Chat Via Main Menu
Currently Playing Status
Server List
Viewing Buddies Details On Sidebar
File Transfer
Buddy Mouse Hover Over Name (Shows Current Game, etc..)
Sounds

Things that dont work...

Ingame Chat With Key Activation (Only Tested On WoW)
Skin Changing
Buddy Names On Main Menu
Voice Chat
Files Tab
Help

You will need to have the latest version of wine and Microsoft fonts packages. These can both be installed via System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager

Search for wine and msttcorefonts. (To get it working correctly you may need to follow instructions to update trusted sources to allow downloads from WineHQ for the latest version.)

1. Download the Xfire client from here (http://www.xfire.com/download/now/)

Running the installation now should bring up an error message.

2. Go into terminal and type "winecfg"

3. On the first screen that appears, which should be applications tab. In the section which is Windows and change the drop down selection from Windows XP to Window ME.

4. Now click the and run the the Xfire setup exe and it should run fine via wine without problems. De-select the options for icons and to boot up on Windows startup for obvious reasons. When the installation is complete you can go back to Terminal and type "winecfg" and change Windows ME back to XP or Vista.

5. Xfire will be listed in Applications -> Wine -> Programs -> Xfire

6. Loading it will work and prompt you for details to create an account, but the existing user button did not seem to work for me so I closed it and entered my login details in the main menu.

7. This should work, and you will be faced with a slightly glitchy scrollbar and menu, but apart from that a sort of working Xfire easy Linux installation. :)

P.S. I accept no liability for things messing up (existing programs not working, etc) when following this guide. You have been warned, I have not had any problems so far though. :KS

FRuMMaGe
October 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Great tutorial! Very helpful :lolflag:

Luister
October 18th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I gave up on trying to make xfire to run smoothly with wine or crossover (with same results as you have posted), so i use the gaim-xfire plugin and the xqf game browser instead. No more frozen boxes anymore.

mike^_^
October 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM
above instructions work great, thanks.

Pvt.Addams
October 21st, 2007, 10:40 PM
first, thx for the great tutorial :)

Unfortunately, I can't get xfire to work, maybe someone has an idea..

After launching xfire I get a small window with some pixels in it named "nameless window", maybe it's the xfire window, but very shrinked :confused: I can't resize it :( I also get many errors if I launch it out of the terminal.

However, the tray-icon is working... :)

I attached a screenshot, it shows the little window and the errors in the terminal, I hope its helpful :KS

greetz Niclas

alphabetical
October 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Iqm confused at step 4. How do I run the exe to intstall xfire into wine? If i click the exe it says

"Couldn't display "/home/ask/Desktop/xfire_installer_28220.exe"."

Hmmm... I think I may be doing it wrong...I say that cause I'm a big noob

andtsoreyu
October 31st, 2007, 05:19 AM
Great Tutorial, this actually worked and it solved other problems I was having with Wine/Steam.... weird I know.

yekim
October 31st, 2007, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the post! I got this working with the same functionality as you - its a shame the friend names down't show up properly, and that XFire doesn't just support Linux natively!

eaglesfan17
November 6th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the post! I got this working with the same functionality as you - its a shame the friend names down't show up properly, and that XFire doesn't just support Linux natively!

I wonder if it is just some fonts that we are missing or something...I'm gonna try to copy all of my fonts from my Windows partition into the wine fonts folder and see what happens.

Xero117
November 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I don't have Linux on here yet but I will thanks for this though!

wwarsin
January 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM
i dont know if i did something wrong but when XFire trys to run i get a Xfire exception, and it wants to upload some info.... so it didnt work for me

wwarsin
January 8th, 2008, 01:08 AM
ok i got it to work... but i think i cheated... i just used the install from my windows partition and ran it as is, so far it runs... i do get the name problem, i see "<<<<<<" as a name... but i can mouse over them to see their login name... it did detect my Starcraft+broodwar installation idk if it will show my status as "Playing starcraft: broodwar" or not yet

--edit---

ok it does detect games you play

jasonp
March 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM
awsum great post

Fr3y
March 26th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Great and thanks so mcuh..

who would know that windows ME would fix anything:)

Buggy yes, works yes.

ty

h4mx0r
March 26th, 2008, 09:49 AM
pidgin has an xfire plugin that works pretty well I don't know how far its come along but its good for basic chatting and keeping yourself informed.

DeathStrikeVirus
December 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I realize this thread is old, but I've noted on the XFire forums AND these ones that everyone has a problem with Wine/XFire displaying names as []. Well, a friend of mine found the solution. Here's the link to the post:
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Angels_Of_Fire/index.php?showtopic=8308&st=0&#entry6361693

Just in case you have to register to view it, here's the meat:

I am using wine 1.1.9, not sure how imporant that is, well onto the important part. Installing native win32 libs is equal to absolutely 0 support from wine. I had issues the first time around with winetricks because i went overboard and had to nuke my _entire_ .wine folder (Except the few programs I backed up outta ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ that had no sysregilstry requirments).

Rationale:

I knew that Xfire depended on Internet Explorer 6.1 and mscomctrl and the windows fonts. Knowing that, I knew that it would work best with the native libraries. I have wine setup to show itself as windows 2000, not sure how important that is. Anyway.

Open up a shell on the same acct you use wine from and type the following commands at a bash shell:

CODE

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
sh winetricks allfonts
sh winetricks ie6
sh winetricks comctl32
sh winetricks comctl32.ocx

Please note that it may fail on allfonts a few times, i had timeout issues with the liberation font pacakge. To remedy that you can download them in the web browser of your choice (or use wget). Assuming you are at terminal, the following commands will download them and put them where winetricks expects them to be:

I use -v out of preference, I like verbose output on any file activity
CODE

wget https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/i/liberation-fonts/liberation-fonts-1.04.tar.gz
mv -v liberation-fonts-1.0.4.tar.gz ~/.wine/drive_c/winetrickstmp

Please note that if you use a different user for wine, it needs to be placed into
CODE

export WINEUSR=/home/<wineusrid>/.wine
$WINEUSR/drive_c/winetrickstmp

The export line is also something you can put into your main userid's /.bash_profile or /.bashrc file if you do use a different user for wine. (Some people have different uid/gid for each program, especailly something large like wine, so that its easy to track what wine is doing and what files it has created on disk...). This way any time you need to use the wine dir you can cd $WINEUSR and avoid a few keystrokes

3mb0
March 13th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Iqm confused at step 4. How do I run the exe to intstall xfire into wine? If i click the exe it says

"Couldn't display "/home/ask/Desktop/xfire_installer_28220.exe"."

Hmmm... I think I may be doing it wrong...I say that cause I'm a big noob

I know i'm a bit late to this scene, but what you wanna do is right click the .exe file and click "run in wine programme loader" as long as you have wine installed, you will successfully install the exe to the best of wines abilities.

Kaigeos
April 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks so much for this how to. I am however still having some problems with chat, I click on any part of the client and it crashes. makes it hard to get to the text box to write back.

Jesdisciple
July 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM
The installer now says ME isn't supported. :( Vista gave an error about being "Unable to elevate, error 1" NT 4.0 asked me to upload an Xfire error report like XP.

modelrockettier
January 2nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
The latest xfire installer stops and displays an error if you try installing it in ME, after installing it and running xfire in a variety of different settings, about 75% of the time that I try to start it, BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE, and not only does xfire crash, but I also get logged out

(64-bit ubuntu 9.04, wine version 1.1.35, xfire version 1.118)

SirRedTooth
January 31st, 2010, 05:29 PM
Everything works fine until it finishes detecting games then I get e exception error.

asdfoo
March 12th, 2010, 11:59 PM
These instructions are horribly outdated.

The problem with xfire is that it tries to hook several windows functions and this support is only available in Wine if you are using one of the most recent versions of GCC.

lodman
May 13th, 2010, 02:26 AM
recently tried to install xfire on ubuntu 10.04 and got the following message

The file '/home/lodman/Desktop/xfire_installer_42654.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

ginderhulk
January 13th, 2011, 02:52 AM
recently tried to install xfire on ubuntu 10.04 and got the following message

The file '/home/lodman/Desktop/xfire_installer_42654.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

Same^

Soulcage
January 13th, 2011, 06:58 AM
wine ~/Desktop/xfire_installer_43094.exe

Gaming4JC
January 13th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Xfire has been broke in wine for quite some time. There's some work arounds and patches described on the AppDB.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2573

My suggestion, just use Gfire - it rocks. :)
http://gfireproject.org/

rocka120
June 8th, 2011, 05:27 AM
for the above error about executable bit, just right click the file, go to properties and click on permissions, then click on "allow executing file as program" :)