PDA

View Full Version : Cmon. We need a decent native FTP client!

alecwh
October 8th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Hello!

I really feel it's time that someone started developing a *decent* FTP client, native to GNOME that doesn't suck. I've seen all the popular ones so far, but right now I'm using the FireFTP extension for firefox. I don't like it, but I'm forced to use it because I don't like any of the native FTP apps we have now.

Just a shoutout to any developer out there, and I thought I'd tell the community what I think.

If there is already a decent FTP client (other than Nautilus, gFTP...) that is worth mentioning, please do!

tbroderick
October 8th, 2007, 06:56 AM
lftp ftw.

Bungo Pony
October 8th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Does ws_ftp work in Wine?

alecwh
October 8th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I was thinking more of a GUI. :)

tbroderick
October 8th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I was thinking more of a GUI. :)

Your loss, lftp is really the best ftp client ever written. You should give it try if you haven't. There is a nice little beginners guide here:

http://www2.papamike.ca:8082/tutorials/pub/lftp.html

popch
October 8th, 2007, 07:37 AM
see the wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_FTP_clients)

HermanAB
October 8th, 2007, 07:42 AM
gFTP is about as native as it comes, being written with the same Gimp tool kit.

Anyhow, if you are looking for something better, try Konqueror - yes, it is non-native, but it is better!

kadath
October 8th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Filezilla is available for Linux now.

v8YKxgHe
October 8th, 2007, 08:48 AM
alecwh, as kadath pointed out - Filezilla is avaliable.

(Btw, are you the same person I was just helping disable magic quotes with in ##php? :))

JBAlaska
October 8th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Yup, Filezilla is about the best available atm...But a port of FlashFXP would be great.

aysiu
October 8th, 2007, 09:05 AM
What operating system comes with a decent native FTP client?

Windows doesn't.
Mac doesn't.

If you think Windows does (i.e., Internet Explorer), then there's no reason to complain about Gnome's (i.e., Nautilus).

In the meantime, just use FileZilla... or Nautilus.

Magnes
October 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I use Krusader as ftp client.

n3tfury
October 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I don't like it, but I'm forced to use it because I don't like any of the native FTP apps we have now.

ok, that didn't make much sense.

anyway, Filezilla ftw.

notwen
October 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Yup, Filezilla is about the best available atm...But a port of FlashFXP would be great.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

ryno519
October 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I like gFtp.

huckabuck
October 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM
For now , i'm using the fireftp extention in firefox with xubuntu .

O:)

Phil Airtime
October 8th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Is it just me who doesn't get on with FileZilla at all? Coming from Transmit on the Mac, it feels like a step back into the dark ages. It's a capable enough package, but it's ugly and has an irritating issue; if I upload, download or delete a lot of files, part way through the transaction it slows right down, taking up to a second to do each item in the queue. I can't see any reason for this and if I close the programme and reopen, it'll work at normal speed for a while.

Please, please can we have something comparable to Transmit?!