PDA

View Full Version : This forum is awesome

MPagoPago
October 8th, 2007, 03:49 AM
I know, my thread is meaningless, but I just had too :)

I finally got everything working, even the wireless. I also discovered that I was using some open source before I even knew what it was. I was using VLC with XP, because unlike media player, it didn't demand my firewall give it internet access to phone home every time I opened it.

But the awesome part I wanted to mention is that I did it all just using search on the forum. All the answers are already here, somewhere. At least all the ones that I needed.

I'm sorry, I'm an old dog managing to learn new tricks, and I'm enjoying myself. :guitar:

RAV TUX
October 8th, 2007, 03:50 AM

I finally got everything working, even the wireless. I also discovered that I was using some open source before I even knew what it was. I was using VLC with XP, because unlike media player, it didn't demand my firewall give it internet access to phone home every time I opened it.

But the awesome part I wanted to mention is that I did it all just using search on the forum. All the answers are already here, somewhere. At least all the ones that I needed.

I'm sorry, I'm an old dog managing to learn new tricks, and I'm enjoying myself. :guitar:Thank You I try... ;)

Actually the Admins and Mods have done a wonderful job overall and us common users love to have fun and help each other out when ever we can. ;)

Welcome.

multifaceted
October 8th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Welcome to the community my friend. We are all here to help for the greater good, feel free to input yourself!

sstusick
October 8th, 2007, 04:04 AM
But the awesome part I wanted to mention is that I did it all just using search on the forum. All the answers are already here, somewhere. At least all the ones that I needed. I have that experience on this forum all the time. Whatever problem you are having, chances are someone else has had it before you. And with a search of the forum, you find this true.

Bungo Pony
October 8th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I find Google is usually my best friend when it comes to Linux in general. I got an old ISA sound card to work in DSL. It's nice to finally put a use to all the old junk I have laying around :)

southernman
October 8th, 2007, 04:49 AM

I'm sorry, I'm an old dog managing to learn new tricks, and I'm enjoying myself. :guitar:

One old dog to another... ruff ruff!

Ok, that was terrible!

Seriously though, That's great you managed to do it all yourself, with a little help from the community, the ones that have gone before you. In fact, there are a lot of us that did this just as you did... I'll include that Google was also a help, but most of the help I got was from searching the forums.

What may become more obvious to you, if you spend time hanging out here and lending a hand where you can (trust me, you'll be able to if you have the time). Threads like yours, aside from the sheer satisfaction of helping others, are the only pay we ALL get in return. No matter if you help with a seemingly minute problem... or a huge fiasco. help is help and it all matters to someone!

Now, Welcome to Ubuntu and the wonderful world of GNU/Linux. All you have to do is sit back, relax and enjoy the blissful ride. Well, of course there are going to be things you'll want to learn further, but the first hurdle is out of the way for you.

Now that your relaxed, it is time to think about that first backup... for just in case the unthinkable happens. ;)

Again, Welcome & Congratulations on your success.

derekr44
October 8th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I'd like to give kudos as well. Everyone's been helpful getting my transition all settled, and now I'm 100% Linux.

I think a lot of us can agree with the OP.

tech9
October 8th, 2007, 03:27 PM

even the experts started out as newbies - we all were there.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 8th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I'm a long time lurker on these forums, only recently started posting. It is an awesome font of knowledge.

matthew
October 8th, 2007, 03:48 PM
We are thrilled to hear such kind words. Those of us on staff feel that this is an amazing community primarily because of who is a part of it. We are glad to count you among the appreciated! Welcome, and thank you.

Baby Boy
October 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Yep, this forum is awesome. I simply don't care about the other linux distros because of the great community Ubuntu has.

mips
October 8th, 2007, 06:07 PM

0 Beans so this is your first post. Really cool that you used the search function and as you mentioned most of the answers are already out there. You will go a long way ;)