PDA

View Full Version : When Will We See a Massive Jump in Support for Ubuntu/Linux

R-Dot-Yung
October 7th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I go to college next year, and i would love to be rocking my Ubuntu because its clearly the best thing since sliced bread...

But i might have to make a deal with the devil, and buy a Mac...WHY, because since im home i have two diff comps, this laptop for school, and then a desktop for my Multimedia which handles my projects like...

Sonar 5, Maya 8.5, 3dsMax, Reason 4 (best app ever)...

When will we see support for these applications on Ubuntu, i cant live without them and the last thing i want to do is buy a Mac, Apple is the devil, and Windows is not an option after i have switched to a Unix based OS...

Sayers
October 7th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I'm guessing within 6 months to 2 years.

Nano Geek
October 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I'm guessing within 6 months to 2 years.I would call that extremely optimistic.

Linux first has to have a large enough userbase that the big companies even want to port their software to Linux.
They aren't going to do it unless they will make a good bit of money off of it.

hessiess
October 7th, 2007, 11:49 PM
anywere between never and a cupple of months:lolflag:

Sayers
Loads of things have happened recently however.

edwalter
if mickysoft keeps coming out with garbage like vista who knows
edwalter

Blindraven
October 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM
It will never be mainstream.

Never

Sayers
October 7th, 2007, 11:51 PM
It's mainstream in servers...

R-Dot-Yung
October 7th, 2007, 11:52 PM

Never

Then will there ever be an emulator or interperter which can handle apps like

Maya, Reason, Sonar, Pro Tools

Or my hardware such as midi controllers and external sound cards

smartboyathome
October 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM

Never

Never say never, it can happen if enough people work on it. You know that saying "if you make it, they will come", it applies to Ubuntu right now.

BLTicklemonster
October 8th, 2007, 12:07 AM
In a more perfect world, we'd see something like this:

Linux Server EULA:

~
~
~
...and another thing, if any corporations use Linux at all, they must release open source versions of their products, or pay big $$$ to use Linux Servers.

er sumpn lak dat

Ireclan
October 8th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I don't think you'll EVER see a "massive" jump in support for Linux, because a big company isn't willing to drum up a multi-million dollar PR-fest for it. What I think we WILL see, if Linux is to be adopted at ALL, is a slow but steady adoption rate.

andrewpmk
October 8th, 2007, 03:16 AM
If, and only if, some big computer manufacturer offers Linux on all its computers (not just a few models like Dell), makes the Linux option significantly cheaper than the Windows option, and promotes it heavily. Then, we will see significant amounts of specialized proprietary software developed for Linux, which will drive its adoption. After all, I can't see a piece of specialized scientific software or a complex video game being developed by the open-source community; and many users expect these programs to be available for their operating system.

ryno519
October 8th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Massive jump? Never. It will be a slow, gradual crawl to the mainstream if anything.

jrusso2
October 8th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Linux will never be mainstream desktop. It will stay 1 to 5% at best. Unless Linux community is willing to make some compromises which they never will.

HermanAB
October 8th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Linux is mainstream in:
Super Computers
Servers
Routers
Phone Switches
Cell Phones

In total, there are billions more Linux devices than MS Windows devices.

So who cares about desktops? We have to leave a little something to Microsoft.

euler_fan
October 8th, 2007, 04:22 AM
I can see a gradual increases in support with acceleration in the last few years to widespread support. The whole sudden shift bit I can't see.

Nano Geek
October 8th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Linux will never be mainstream desktop. It will stay 1 to 5% at best. Unless Linux community is willing to make some compromises which they never will.Like what?

P.S. This thread should probably go into Recurring Discussions.