PDA

View Full Version : Wine + Wow - Weird problem

nosscire
October 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Well, I did a search, but can't seem to find anyone who had this specific issue, so I guess i'll make a thread of my own :)

After running windows for a while, i'm back to Ubuntu. Running Gutsy beta, which is workig well. Managed to install Wine and Wow without any issues, and got it running flawlessly (great FPS and everything). All seemed just great until I pressed enter and tried to chat.

I cannot write in the chat box. The game doesn't lock or anything, everything keep working, it's just that when I type nothing shows up in the chat box. All other keys keep working, and if I press enter the chatbox goes away as it should.

All keys work just as they should all the time except for the chatting part. I've tried disabling all my addons and stuff, but no go, so it's definatly an Linux issue. Also, it worked just fine a few days ago when running under Windows.

Anyone heard about this issue before, or atleast have an idea what the problem can be? I just don't have a clue, and don't know what I can try. It just doesn't make any sense that it's just the chatting part that doesn't work.

All help appriciated.

Faud
October 8th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Hi Nosscire, in your winecfg->graphics tab there are 3 boxes that can be checked(not including the driver emulation one). Which of those three do you have checked.

nosscire
October 11th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Well, Now i'm gonna make this sound even more strange.

Soon after I first posted this, it just worked. Didn't change anything, it just suddently worked. Now it works sometimes, and sometimes not. Very random, I just restart the game a few times and it will work.

As I said, I have no clue what the reason can be. On the graphics tab I have "Allow Window manager to take control..." and Allow Pixel Shader checked. No of the others.

denali
October 11th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Well, Now i'm gonna make this sound even more strange.

Soon after I first posted this, it just worked. Didn't change anything, it just suddently worked. Now it works sometimes, and sometimes not. Very random, I just restart the game a few times and it will work.

As I said, I have no clue what the reason can be. On the graphics tab I have "Allow Window manager to take control..." and Allow Pixel Shader checked. No of the others.

Anytime this has happened to me, it's been caused by an addon. More times than not, it was the COSMOS addon "Social Mods".

nosscire
October 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I'm afraid that isn't the case for me. I've tried with and without mods, fresh installs etc. Now, I can play, but it's annoying to have to restart the game several times. It's just so random. Sometimes it works several times in a row, and sometimes I can try for 10 minutes and still it won't work.

The fact that it's so random also makes it close to impossible to find a solution, as I never know if I have fixed it, or if it just happens to work 10 times in a row.