PDA

View Full Version : Funny Font Terminal Command Response

shuukazedojo
October 7th, 2007, 08:46 PM
So, I'm very new at this Ubuntu thing despite having had it on the computer for some 6 months or so now. There are still some basics I don't understand being a recovering ******* user like the concept of root and permissions.

Apparently, you have to change the permissions to add fonts?!? Still not sure. If anyone has a good article or ten on these things, I would really appreciate the enlightenment.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a screenshot of my frustration. I had some help in the background shouting the commands...hence the mount command. I just love the response.

Now, if I only I could find this root... :D

koenn
October 7th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Apparently, you have to change the permissions to add fonts?!? Still not sure. If anyone has a good article or ten on these things, I would really appreciate the enlightenment.

the sudo command means "execute [what follows] as root". You only write paths there, not commands, so that's not going to work

'copy' doesn't exist in linux, it's 'cp'

The only way I ever installed fonts was with a package manager.
Maybe someone in the help forum / beginners forum can help you further.

And ... they have rules here about posting images with adult content.

Kingsley
October 7th, 2007, 09:04 PM
"sudo /usr/share/fonts"

lmao that looks so idiotic when I look at it now but I probably did the same kind of thing when I was new to Linux.

shuukazedojo
October 9th, 2007, 11:45 PM
"sudo /usr/share/fonts"

lmao that looks so idiotic when I look at it now but I probably did the same kind of thing when I was new to Linux.

As much as I appreciate the arrogance, I would appreciate direction more. Thanks for the support.

picpak
October 9th, 2007, 11:53 PM
What? You need to be root to add fonts? Heck, you don't even need the terminal.

Open up your home folder and create a new folder called .fonts. Hit Ctrl+H to see hidden files, go to the .fonts folder and put your fonts in there. Done.

shuukazedojo
October 10th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Now that was the BEST information I've received yet!!!! THANK YOU!

Do you have a source for more user friendly tips like these? I would like to understand Ubuntu better so I can use it and eventually teach others how to use it. Maybe one day it will take over the world. But I digress. Any good source for the basics?

Sorry about the non-family friendly graphic. If I get some time, I'll edit it and repost.

picpak
October 10th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I'm not sure about sources. It's just one of those things that you pick up on the forums that you wish you'd had known before.

Here's another good one: instead of always typing the folder path, just drag and drop the folder into the terminal.