PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Linux/X window system

ryanVickers
October 7th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Well, you all know me for my never ending, 100+ thread post on the problems with windows (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=467469), but now I have to say, I've got enough complaints about Linux (and the X window system) too!

1. The menu(s) (at least in gnome) are way too slow when you put a lot of stuff on them! (the editor, loading it for the first time after log on...)
2. The cursors! The format is so stupid! Why can't it be just some common picture files? It can use images as icons, why not cursors! Some kind of animated svg is all they would need...

Yeah, I think that's about it actually, but these are so annoying!!! :p

Well, actually, I've got a couple more (VMware, Blender, Automatix*...), but they are more program specific rather than Linux

Now take a look at the windows one (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=467469)! ;)

*I've only had good things from it, but so many people have problems with it, and I've had "why" explained to me, and personally, I think that they need to do something about this!! :mad:

popch
October 7th, 2007, 09:20 PM
1. The menu(s) (at least in gnome) are way too slow when you put a lot of stuff on them!

So don't.

2. The cursors! The format is so stupid! Why can't it be just some common picture files?

Yes, that's how it is. Disturbs me an awful lot of my waking time.

Do you have any real problems?

ryanVickers
October 7th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Well, not really :). I'm not asking for help - this is just a discussion, like the windows one;)

I guess my point was to show how much better it was than windows, but it's just that people who are going to try and put Linux down can find these tiny problems and pick away at them..., and they are rather annoying...

popch
October 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
people who are going to try and put Linux down can find these tiny problems and pick away at them..., and they are rather annoying...

Yes, I agree that such people can be annoying. However, I think we can let them pick their own nits.

Anyway, it is my experience that when I am prepared to answer twelve objections the idiots will indeed come up with twelve, but entirely different ones. So why bother?

FuturePilot
October 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I've never experienced any issue with the Gnome menus. And I'm not quite understanding what you are getting at with the cursors. If you could explain a bit more;)

ryanVickers
October 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I've never experienced any issue with the Gnome menus. And I'm not quite understanding what you are getting at with the cursors. If you could explain a bit more;)

I've added a couple, maybe 7 custom entries, and when I click it for the first time after the login, it takes about 5 seconds or more to come up! after that, it's fine, and the sub-menus are ok, but just that first load! :confused:

About the cursors, If you look in one of the cursor themes (/usr/share/icons/name_of_theme_here), it's not just a couple of nice, easy to read and edit files like windows, but lots (and this isn't so bad) of random, unopenable (this is!) files with encrypted file names or something to boot! So stupid!!! :mad:

But other than this, I would prefer Linux over windows for anything ;) (it's just these 2 things it does better I think!)

yatt
October 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Support for more than three mouse buttons could be much better. There are allot of overly complex guides that seem to be adding complexity for the sake of complexity. I have a Logitech MX518 and I've seen guides suggesting new, experimental drivers, separate config files, etc when all I had to do was add <Option "Buttons" "7"> and <Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"> and the protocol from "ImPS/2" to "ExplorerPS/2".

However, even if you got the buttons working, they serve little use outside of Iceweasel.

FuturePilot
October 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I've added a couple, maybe 7 custom entries, and when I click it for the first time after the login, it takes about 5 seconds or more to come up! after that, it's fine, and the sub-menus are ok, but just that first load! :confused:

About the cursors, If you look in one of the cursor themes (/usr/share/icons/name_of_theme_here), it's not just a couple of nice, easy to read and edit files like windows, but lots (and this isn't so bad) of random, unopenable (this is!) files with encrypted file names or something to boot! So stupid!!! :mad:

But other than this, I would prefer Linux over windows for anything ;) (it's just these 2 things it does better I think!)

Are you using the Menu Bar or the Main Menu? I know the Main Menu takes a while to load.

Unreal223linux
October 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Touchy subject huh? No one had any problems pointing out windows problems. :lol:

I'll list some linux problems for you. :)

1. Hardware support. It just sucks.
2. Lack of some essential software that I need:
-Office. Openoffice is just not as good as MS office.
-Audio programs. Nothing on linux is as good as WMP11/winamp/or Itunes.
- Photoshop.
- Dreamweaver
- Games

3. I dont know about all distro's but most of them load websites really ugly when it comes to buttons and things. I tried the widget thing and it was still ugly.

4. Very poor documentation. It always seems outdated and it hardly ever explains things step by step. Just look at MS' documentation.

5. Must use command line. As much as people want to say this is an asset, in actuality it just turns average users away.

I could list more but that alone is enough to keep me where I'm at. :)

Nano Geek
October 11th, 2007, 08:22 PM
:confused:

Guys, no one is forcing you to use Linux.
If it doesn't suit you, why not just move on?

n3tfury
October 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM
...or instead of yet another topic such as this, post in a thread that's recent and on the first page:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=572158

Nano Geek
October 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I'll list some linux problems for you. :)

1. Hardware support. It just sucks.
2. Lack of some essential software that I need:
-Office. Openoffice is just not as good as MS office.
-Audio programs. Nothing on linux is as good as WMP11/winamp/or Itunes.
- Photoshop.
- Dreamweaver
- Games

3. I dont know about all distro's but most of them load websites really ugly when it comes to buttons and things. I tried the widget thing and it was still ugly.

4. Very poor documentation. It always seems outdated and it hardly ever explains things step by step. Just look at MS' documentation.

5. Must use command line. As much as people want to say this is an asset, in actuality it just turns average users away.

I could list more but that alone is enough to keep me where I'm at. :)Ugh, I shouldn't do this, but here it goes.

How so? It is stupendous for me and most people that I see around here.
Then use Office with Wine.
Rhythmbox, Amarok, Banshee, just to name a few
Adobe won't port Photoshop and Dreamweaver to Linux. Use them with Wine instead.
Again, companys aren't planning on porting their games to Linux yet. Can't do anything about it.
Buttons and things? Could you be more specific?
Check the Ubuntu help site. help.ubuntu.com
If you don't want to use the command line, then usually you don't have to.Again, if you don't like Linux, then don't use it.

perce
October 12th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I was always lucky with hardware support
I don't care about commercial software - I wouldn't use it anyway
(but please stop answering "use it with wine", I was never able to run anything with it)
I don't want MS Office, and I have no use for Openoffice either: LaTeX is grate.
I'm not scared about the command line.
I don't mind downloading multimedia codecs separately

What really pisses me off are a lot of little annoying bugs spread here and there. Some examples:
having to run dpkg-reconfigure to make an external monitor working (hopefully getting better with Gutsy)
vedeo playback usually not working in beryl
realplayer excluding all other applications from using the soundcard
not being able to connect on about 10% of wireless networks for no apparent reason
Network manager overwriting the DNS servers of my ISP with its wrong defaults
not being able to chose what plugging to use in Firefox
firefox'x plugin installer never finding plugins, even when they exist
random freezes - yes, it freezes, not a lot, but more than it should.