PDA

View Full Version : ASUS coming out with instant Linux environment

Bartender
October 7th, 2007, 06:50 PM
My apologies if this has already been covered -

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=869&num=1

Looks like an interesting new path for Linux!

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM
"With a fast boot-up speed of only 5 seconds, the ASUS Express Gate offers an optional Linux OS boot-up that allows you to enjoy instant access to commonly used functions like accessing the Internet, VoIP, and Web emailing without entering the OS."

holy sh*t! nice link man, thanks. can't wait for the review.

southernman
October 7th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Now that is totally awesome. Thank you for sharing this!

spockrock
October 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM
some I feel like this will just be like the killer nic, that had an embedded linux on it, and you could download while the computer was off. At release it was windows only and they are still on a beta driver for linux. Sounds great, but I dont think its helping out on the desktop market.

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 07:07 PM
some I feel like this will just be like the killer nic, that had an embedded linux on it, and you could download while the computer was off. At release it was windows only and they are still on a beta driver for linux. Sounds great, but I dont think its helping out on the desktop market.

i don't think it's intended to help out on the desktop market, nor do i think that's what the OP was getting at. it's pure nerd and i think it's great.

Bartender
October 7th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I'd like to include the link to their forum, where there's been some discussion of pro's and con's...

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5591

Apparently more info on this Wednesday. I wouldn't rush right out to get this feature, especially since the mobo is expensive and you need to be running Windows to get ExpressGate updates.

But who knows where this could lead?

Kimm
October 7th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Anyone knows which DE it is running? Looks like it uses Qt4 with the Cleanlooks theme, but it _might_ be GTK with clearlooks.

Looks somewhat like XFCE... but cant really tell... could they have made their own?

This looks really cool though!

southernman
October 7th, 2007, 07:39 PM
They say the first time run wizard uses GTK.

The browser is called Splashtop, and is basically a stripped down version of Firefox with *some* of Firefox features.

Scrolling to the bottom of the link above, you'll find 8 pages of where they reviewed this new cool ASUS mobo feature.

bobbocanfly
October 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM
They should move GRUB from the HD to the Motherboard, using something like this (If that is even possible, i dont know enough about GRUB/MBR's) but that would be f**king cool.

spockrock
October 7th, 2007, 08:15 PM
i don't think it's intended to help out on the desktop market, nor do i think that's what the OP was getting at. it's pure nerd and i think it's great.

oh I dont deny its pure nerd but as a previous poster mentioned, to update it you need windows. Yet again a company borrows from the opensource community without giving anything back to them. The irony of having to using windows to update linux.

prizrak
October 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
That's somewhat similar to what HP is doing with having an instant on dvd player that runs embedded linux.

science4sail
October 7th, 2007, 09:44 PM
oh I dont deny its pure nerd but as a previous poster mentioned, to update it you need windows. Yet again a company borrows from the opensource community without giving anything back to them. The irony of having to using windows to update linux.

but it may be a decent way to introduce people to linux...

Lord Illidan
October 7th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Looks more like XFCE to me.

I agree, upgrading from Windows is a no-brainer! WTF were they thinking?

FuturePilot
October 7th, 2007, 10:29 PM
That is just amazing!

SpiritIsReality
October 7th, 2007, 10:36 PM
thanks for the link

benhagerty
October 7th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Oh baby, thats nice. I like Asus, good stuff. I wish their cell phones were available in the US

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 11:33 PM

aye, i didn't see that at first. that's just wrong.

D-EJ915
October 8th, 2007, 05:52 AM
The fact that it needs to update via windows is downright hilarious, very neat concept though.