PDA

View Full Version : I need a new toy

samkline
October 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I've finally got some extra money so its time to waste/spend it

I want something that can, in addition to playing music/videos, is Linux-friendly, and has a web browser with wifi access. Don't care about anything else yet.

I'd prefer to spend not more than $250, and I don't want anything subscription-based (such as a cell phone).
Does such a device exist?

Pancetilla
October 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Nokia N800

...but it is definitely more than 250 $

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Nokia N800

...but it is definitely more than 250 $

and it's subscription based so not sure why you even posted it.

Pancetilla
October 7th, 2007, 05:05 PM
and it's subscription based so not sure why you even posted it.

I did it because I'm stupid

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM
that works.

southernman
October 7th, 2007, 05:15 PM
and it's subscription based so not sure why you even posted it.Perhaps coz they aren't psychic and couldn't read the OP's mind. OP didn't add the stipulation of no subscription based items until 3 minutes after the post you quoted.

I guess reading, math and common deduction play a role here too... :p

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Perhaps coz they aren't psychic and couldn't read the OP's mind. OP didn't add the stipulation of no subscription based items until 3 minutes after the post you quoted.

I guess reading, math and common deduction play a role here too... :p

and how exactly was i supposed to know he edited THAT in after the fact? :P

on topic: i can't think of a device for that price for the things you want.

southernman
October 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM
and how exactly was i supposed to know he edited THAT in after the fact? :P

on topic: i can't think of a device for that price for the things you want.

Telepathy? lol

back on topic: can't think of anything either.

Acglaphotis
October 7th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I got an n800 and i didn't pay anything besides it price. Where do you get these subscription stuff? And BTW you can save 100$ more and buy one from amazon, it is truly an amazing device.

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I got an n800 and i didn't pay anything besides it price. Where do you get these subscription stuff? And BTW you can save 100$ more and buy one from amazon, it is truly an amazing device.

well, usually when you buy a mobile you get it in the rear with a contract too.

southernman
October 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM
If you outright "buy" the phone at full price (from the cellular provider), it's been my experience that you are not obliged to sign a contract... but you still have monthly charges associated. Hence the subscription *stuff*.

Contract or not though, you still wind up taking it up the yang...

Never tried buying a phone elsewhere and taking it to a provider to order/buy service for the phone.

grrrr... edited my post to reflect what I intended to say, but failed miserably! :p

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 06:26 PM
If you outright "buy" the phone at full price (from the cellular provider), it's been my experience that you are obliged to sign a contract... but you still have monthly charges associated. Hence the subscription *stuff*.

Contract or not though, you still wind up taking it up the yang...

Never tried buying a phone elsewhere and taking it to a provider to order/buy service for the phone.

i dont think they rape you overseas like they do in the states though.

southernman
October 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
interesting...

I edited my previous post above to show what I really meant to say. Damned multitasking!

perce
October 7th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I read somewhere that the N800 is NOT a phone. This is why it doesn't come with a contract.

Acglaphotis
October 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Dude, the n800 isn't a phone.

EDIT:Beaten to it.

southernman
October 7th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Dude, the n800 isn't a phone.

EDIT:Beaten to it.
Dude - when you say Nokia, most people would automatically think PHONE!

I just checked it out for myself, and that does look kewl!

So you are RIGHT! No "additional" subscriptions are needed provided you already have a phone with wireless capability and services setup.

:p

ssam
October 7th, 2007, 08:25 PM
i have an N800.

There is no subscription

it is not a phone, it's an 'internet tablet'. its similar to an ipod touch (but infinitely more customisable). it can connect to the internet over wifi (or bluetooth if you have a phone with the right stuff)

there has been a price drop in the past few days so i think you can get it for under $250.

useful resources are
http://www.internettablettalk.com/
http://maemo.org/

PS:
before using SD cards in it be sure to upgrade to the 4.2007.38-2 firmware (it fixes a bug that could damage some cards)

HermanAB
October 7th, 2007, 09:19 PM
How about two OLPCs on the buy one donate one plan?

You may have to wait a while though...

samkline
October 7th, 2007, 09:20 PM
How about two OLPCs on the buy one donate one plan?

You may have to wait a while though...Too big :p

I'll check out the Nokia n800

HermanAB
October 7th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I actually think that the OLPC is cool enough that I would buy one just to have it lying around the living room coffee table.

popch
October 7th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I actually think that the OLPC is cool enough that I would buy one just to have it lying around the living room coffee table.

Something to blackmail the grandchildren into coming more often to see you?

HermanAB
October 7th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Yeah, well, I'm not quite that old yet, but I guess I may be by the time the OLPCs are actually available!

M6bud
October 7th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Most things that are going to connect to the internet will be subsciption based im sure you can turn this off and use it for word, gaming, etc. I like the n800 (No i dont have one just read about it). Srry i cant be of anymore help.

fuscia
October 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM
aren't these things linux friendly? http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/d2/

southernman
October 7th, 2007, 11:16 PM
aren't these things linux friendly? http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/d2/

Looks like it... :)

http://www.cowonamerica.com/images/products/d2/cowon_d2/tbar11.gif
You can use COWON D2 with any computer OS.

They look pretty sweeeeet, too.

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I read somewhere that the N800 is NOT a phone. This is why it doesn't come with a contract.

oh.

siralphred
October 7th, 2007, 11:33 PM
A nintendo Ds is worth a consideration :)

fearevilleet
October 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM
A nintendo Ds is worth a consideration :)

I second a nintendo ds---but make sure to get a flash cart so it can run howbrew and other goodness.

Foxmike
October 8th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Grab an iPaq, install Linux on it (familiar.handhelds.org/) and here you go!

derekr44
October 8th, 2007, 11:31 PM
thinkgeek.com

Lots of fun toys there

samkline
October 9th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I gave up the wifi requirement and got an mp3 player - the cowon d2. ordered it yesterday, got it today (from amazon). it seems great, and it worked with ubuntu with no problems at all.

Raval
October 11th, 2007, 07:40 PM

For example:
Here in Guyana only two carriers and there is no contract for pre or post paid.

Post paid is $23.00GY (or $0.11USD) per minute regarless if it is to a mobile or land line number.

Text messaging is $11.00GY (or $0.05USD) per message.

Internet access is free and you only pay for text and calls you make.

Right not the second carrier (Digicel) had a free after 3 promotion. Pay for the first 3 minutes of your call and get the rest of the hour for free.

Plus they have a service called double bubble where they randomly double the credit for pre-paid customers when they top up there pre-paid credit.

I don't think I could ever understand why US customers are ok with the shaft (KY not included) they are getting.

n3tfury
October 11th, 2007, 08:10 PM
yep. europe and asia have it best. lots of choices and the newest phones. DAMMIT!