PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy in New York

kino71
October 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Hi guys,
I'm spending my vacation in New York in December.
Where could I buy some hardware such as case, motherboard etc. ?

Needless to say, it'll run ubuntu 7.10 :)

Thanks !
Franco

stijngysemans
October 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
maybe order one from the dell website, so you can support them?

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks !
Franco

i don't know where to go in NY and not sure if you mean NYC or NY. i'd purchase from newegg.com or tigerdirect.com and spare yourself the shopping hassle and lugging that stuff back home. not worth it.

kino71
October 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM
i don't know where to go in NY and not sure if you mean NYC or NY. i'd purchase from newegg.com or tigerdirect.com and spare yourself the shopping hassle and lugging that stuff back home. not worth it.

Hi,
I have not been precise enough. I'm Italian and I'll be in New York city for a few days, therefore I'm looking for a retail shop like Radio Shack or Circuit City focused on computers.

Thanks !
Franco

prizrak
October 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Try J&R, it's on Broadway right by ground zero. They got a pretty good selection, otherwise there are a bunch of small computer stores that specialize in hardware around all the boroughs I only know the ones close to me.

huckabuck
October 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Go to this website , and register for email notifications ;

http://www.tri-statefairs.com/

They run computer shows rotating thru BK, Queens, and Bronx every weekend at major tech universities , Sat and Sun ... its set up like a flea market in the college gymnasiums ... there are many many many vendors and you should be able to find whatever you need . Thats been my experience in the past . I get an email weekly . Stay away from Dell and the local retailers in NYC ... they are way overpriced .

kino71
October 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Go to this website , and register for email notifications ;

http://www.tri-statefairs.com/

They run computer shows rotating thru BK, Queens, and Bronx every weekend at major tech universities , Sat and Sun ... its set up like a flea market in the college gymnasiums ... there are many many many vendors and you should be able to find whatever you need . Thats been my experience in the past . I get an email weekly . Stay away from Dell and the local retailers in NYC ... they are way overpriced .

Thanks, I'll take a look to it.

Franco

kino71
October 7th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Try J&R, it's on Broadway right by ground zero. They got a pretty good selection, otherwise there are a bunch of small computer stores that specialize in hardware around all the boroughs I only know the ones close to me.

Thank you. I'm definitely going to see ground zero, I'll get there then.

Franco

huckabuck
October 7th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Thank you. I'm definitely going to see ground zero, I'll get there then.

Franco

Yeah i should probably edit what i said about all new york retailers ... J and R is a pretty cool place to check out ... its right on broadway just across the street from city hall . I got my Refurbished T30 from them . But still , you'll definitely be able to grab what you need at the computer shows to build a custom system . from ram to motherboards to blank discs to full custom systems ... all at wholesalers prices . And i'm not a vendor there , but i've definitely found some great hardware there for great prices in the past .

kino71
October 7th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Yeah i should probably edit what i said about all new york retailers ... J and R is a pretty cool place to check out ... its right on broadway just across the street from city hall . I got my Refurbished T30 from them . But still , you'll definitely be able to grab what you need at the computer shows to build a custom system . from ram to motherboards to blank discs to full custom systems ... all at wholesalers prices . And i'm not a vendor there , but i've definitely found some great hardware there for great prices in the past .

It looks like I need to find some extra time to check out at the computer shows, too :)

Thanks a lot
Franco

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 05:58 PM
if this is your first time in new york, computer parts better be far down on the list. too many things to do/see.

southernman
October 7th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Completely off-topic... my aplogies in advance to the OP!

n3tfury - have you had the pleasure of seeing the "Naked Cowboy" ? I think he did his thing at times square. I found him/his girlfriend on Justin.tv.

back on topic: never been to NY or NYC before myself, but I too would think buying computer parts wouldn't even make my to-do list for the trip.

I also concur that newegg, is simply the best place to buy hardware and schtuff online. While they aren't usually the lowest price in town, their support (before and after) and shipping is simply not able to be matched. Not sure though, if they ship overseas. However, you could have a US friend/associate buy it and have them ship it over to you.

At any rate, good luck with your query here! More important, have a blast in the big city! :)

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Completely off-topic... my aplogies in advance to the OP!

n3tfury - have you had the pleasure of seeing the "Naked Cowboy" ? I think he did his thing at times square. I found him/his girlfriend on Justin.tv.

lol no, but i've heard.

kino71
October 7th, 2007, 07:59 PM
if this is your first time in new york, computer parts better be far down on the list. too many things to do/see.

Actually, It'll be my third time in new york. I'll stop there on my way back home for 3 full days only, mainly to watch a basketball game ( New york-New jersey).
Being there I would like to take advantage of the exchange rate eur/usd :-)

Franco

n3tfury
October 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM
basketball!!! egads! ;P

kino71
October 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM
basketball!!! egads! ;P

It's a good or a bad thing ? :)

prizrak
October 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Yes naked cowboy is in Times Square I seen him personally. Though I prefer the Tesla corner by Bryant Park myself :) Another place I just thought of for electronics is Etronics, they are in China town somewhere the address is on their site. www.etronics.com It's not computer parts generally but they tend to have a good selection of other gadgets.

southernman
October 7th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Yes naked cowboy is in Times Square I seen him personally. Did your eyes start to bleed? lol

plb
October 7th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I'm Italian

Yeah, you and about half the population of ny :) Anyway...yeah j&r is pretty good or just find some local shops in the yellowpages.

RAV TUX
October 7th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks !
Franco

Hi,
I have not been precise enough. I'm Italian and I'll be in New York city for a few days, therefore I'm looking for a retail shop like Radio Shack or Circuit City focused on computers.

Thanks !
Franco
If you haven't got a place to stay yet, I highly suggest the 1291 (http://www.1291.com/), it's a Swiss owned Hostel that also has private apartments for rent, the apartments are cheaper then most hotel rooms in NY and have a full kitchen, Jacuzzi tub and within a block of a 24 hour grocery store, about a block from the subway, and blocks from Broadway.

Mostly only Europeans even know about it, awesome place!

prizrak
October 8th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Did your eyes start to bleed? lol

LOL no I was OK I got very dark sunglasses :)

Swagman
November 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
?

/me screams

ZOMBIE THREAD

johnboy1313
November 3rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
?

/me screams

ZOMBIE THREAD

zombies? hmmmm

Squonk07
November 3rd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Where's a mod when you need one? They're quite effective against zombies. Spammers, too. ;)

drawkcab
November 4th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Where's a mod when you need one? They're quite effective against zombies. Spammers, too. ;)

http://www.omnicrola.com/linked_images/thread-resurrection.jpg