PDA

View Full Version : Any Stutterers/Stammerers in here?

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I've always wondered, are there any other people who suffer from a stutter (US) or Stammer (UK) that take part on these forums?

slimdog360
October 7th, 2007, 07:47 AM
no

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 07:52 AM
lol

SpiritIsReality
October 7th, 2007, 08:40 AM
howdy
my most emabarassing moment at school, was when I was startin' to fall behind or so's I could notice it happening, and it was a physics equation of some kind tht usually did this but sometimes that. can't even remember details now, not important.. but I had my hand up wondering how come it didnt apply to a certain case, and it didn't look like it was bothering anyone else, and when I finally got asked to ask my question, I was way behind what he was saying, and I said, butWhat about the one about the one...laughter, what about the one where it's different? he gave an answer but I was lost.
buds
I don't usually stutter/stammer, but it happens.

fuscia
October 7th, 2007, 01:46 PM
i've never worked with a stutterer (i'm a voice teacher), but i've worked with a similar affliction (spasmodic dysphonia) in which the affliction disappears with singing. i had a friend in college who is easily the worst stutterer i'd ever met, but he had absolutely no trouble when he sang. (singing works for very different reasons in these two syndromes.) aside from the ear piece developed at ECU, i'm pretty unfamiliar with therapies for stutterers. this might seem a naive question, but do you ever try to keep a beat when you speak? (might be worse to sound like a rapper than a stutterer.)

insane_alien
October 7th, 2007, 02:09 PM
my cousin has a stutter. seems to disappear when he's distracted by a game or a cartoon on the tv though. guess that goes with the current medical consensus that stuttering is caused by the brain interupting itself.

~LoKe
October 7th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I've recently started stuttering. Aw.

Lord Illidan
October 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I've worked with a stutterer, and I am one too. Tension aggravates it..really bothers me in lectures!

tdrusk
October 7th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I know a person that stutters.It's no big deal at all. Most of the time after they get comfortable around you the stuttering decreases and it's all good.

kripkenstein
October 7th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I stuttered as a child/teenager, it kind of held me back socially - which I now understand is far more important that the actual stuttering. Anyhow, these days I can mostly avoid stuttering - ironically, when I lecture it almost always goes away :) - but there are a few types of situations in which it tends to return, and it is annoying. But in perspective there are more important issues in my life (good and bad), so really it is minor.

So, my advice to stutterers - it shouldn't stop you from socializing, and it might get better in time anyhow, so don't sweat it.

The internet is very appealing to stutterers, because you can communicate fluently - but this is also a problem if it becomes where you spend most of your time - which is my case ;)

steveneddy
October 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM
When I was a pre-teen, maybe around 10-12 years old, I was a very bad stutterer. I just couldn't get the words out. I would know what I wanted to say, and even apologize for not being able to say what I wanted, but the words that I needed to say wouldn't come out without a fight.

I don't recall what exactly happened to correct the issue, but it has only reappeared when I am very stressed and tired, and the issue is emotional. But I have to be very tired and the issue has to be over the top emotional.

My only problem today, at 43, is that I say exactly what is on my mind, seemingly out of control sometimes. If I think you are stupid, you will know it very quickly.

I have patience with other people with a stutter or speech impediment, but not with totally ignorant people.

SpiritIsReality
October 7th, 2007, 06:01 PM
i've never worked with a stutterer (i'm a voice teacher), but i've worked with a similar affliction (spasmodic dysphonia) in which the affliction disappears with singing. i had a friend in college who is easily the worst stutterer i'd ever met, but he had absolutely no trouble when he sang. (singing works for very different reasons in these two syndromes.) aside from the ear piece developed at ECU, i'm pretty unfamiliar with therapies for stutterers. this might seem a naive question, but do you ever try to keep a beat when you speak? (might be worse to sound like a rapper than a stutterer.)
ya the country singer mel tillis, he could sing, but had to sing kinda to talk. just like you say. I think that was his name.
bruce willis movie ... line kind of like ... is there anything we could do to make you more uncomfortable? ya he replies, you could always play some rap music. haha! not that there's anything wrong with that. now bird calls, and crickets, do they stutter or are they just repeating themselfves. haha!
thanks that's good
buds

DoctorMO
October 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I have a stammer, seems to be a genetic thing too; as far as I can remember a stutter is a different affliction which has different and distinctive effects of the mis-pronounceation of words.

The thing that has always surprised me is that while my stammering has been going down slowly over the years, I get far less remarks about it because I act like it's not even there (and I hardly notice really); someone once said that because of my blinding ignorance to any problem, I put others at ease and they're not able to hear it either.

All very odd, you ask the people in my LoCo group how many of them remember me stammering a good few times in our last meeting.

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I have a stammer, seems to be a genetic thing too; as far as I can remember a stutter is a different affliction which has different and distinctive effects of the mis-pronounceation of words.

The thing that has always surprised me is that while my stammering has been going down slowly over the years, I get far less remarks about it because I act like it's not even there (and I hardly notice really); someone once said that because of my blinding ignorance to any problem, I put others at ease and they're not able to hear it either.

All very odd, you ask the people in my LoCo group how many of them remember me stammering a good few times in our last meeting.
I think it's natural for people who work around us to slowly get used to it. I've worked in my position for quite a few years and people have just gotten used to it. What helps is the fact that everybody already knows what I'm going to say in the first place.

hardyn
October 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM
grew out of it when i was 5 or so... still comes back from time to time when i get really excited.

multifaceted
October 7th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Always been a stutterer. speaking straight from the mind causes it and compounded consonants never help. The only way I can overcome it is to speak slowly and/or memorize what I need to say like a speech for example.

mips
October 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Hypnotheraphy can be effective in helping those suffering from stuttering/stammering.

HermanAB
October 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I don't repeat sounds, I just just have little... pauses in my speech, where... other people won't have them. It also depends on the language I'm speaking. The better I know a language, the more I ...stutter in it. So now I... stutter in English too.

Oh, well, what the hell...

H.

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I don't repeat sounds, I just just have little... pauses in my speech, where... other people won't have them. It also depends on the language I'm speaking. The better I know a language, the more I ...stutter in it. So now I... stutter in English too.

Oh, well, what the hell...

H.
That can be due to having too much motor function abilities in the jaw, tongue, and vocal folds.

The better you know it, the more tense you become.

Kingsley
October 7th, 2007, 08:25 PM
<snip>

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 08:28 PM
:lolflag:

Perfect Storm
October 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Let me remind people about the Code of Conduct (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct) before posting.

HermanAB
October 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Your... point be..ing?

mips
October 8th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Your... point be..ing?

Common sense tells me making jokes about people with problems/disabilities is not nice, but then it again it might just be my warped reality.

HermanAB
October 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I actually have a stammer, so I have the right to poke some fun and if you bothered to look at the other posts, so's everyone else.
Lllloll...

mips
October 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I actually have a stammer, so I have the right to poke some fun and if you bothered to look at the other posts, so's everyone else.
Lllloll...

I was not referring to you. Some others posted some jokes here which are now gone I think.

I have no problem with you poking fun at yourself.

Raval
October 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I heard that if someone who stammers covers there ears so as not to hear themselves speak would cause the stammer to go away, is that true?

Frak
October 8th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I heard that if someone who stammers covers there ears so as not to hear themselves speak would cause the stammer to go away, is that true?
Nope, or at least it doesn't work for me.

I always imagine I'm talking to a dog, in fact an actual treatment for children under 7 is to let them read a book to a dog. It develops a sense of serene and confidence in their minds so they won't be as tense.

Frak
October 8th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Wha..what w-was the quest-t-tion agai-in?
lol

HermanAB
October 8th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Covering ears? Never tried it. It may work, since if I hear other people stammer or stutter, mine gets worse. However, my problem is not particularly bad and I think most people don't even notice it - they probably just think that I'm thinking about what to say. I just lock up for 500 to 1000ms once in a while, as if my speech engine has an ignition problem.

Mazza558
October 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Apologies if I offended anyone with my last post. I stutter a bit myself, but don't consider it a disability.

Frak
October 8th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Apologies if I offended anyone with my last post. I stutter a bit myself, but don't consider it a disability.
And I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my "lol" post. It was funny. I stutter myself, but I accept it and live the rest of my life.

p_quarles
October 8th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Covering ears? Never tried it. It may work, since if I hear other people stammer or stutter, mine gets worse. However, my problem is not particularly bad and I think most people don't even notice it - they probably just think that I'm thinking about what to say. I just lock up for 500 to 1000ms once in a while, as if my speech engine has an ignition problem.
I stutter only on rare occasions, but enough to say that's a really good description of the feeling. It definitely has something more to do with physiological tension than social nervousness (which is always how it comes across, of course).

My other speech problem is that I absolutely cannot pronounce the word "statistics" (or any variation thereof) in the normal flow of my speech. I can only get it out if I pause, and slowly sound out each syllable. Or else I say something like "stastistics." I don't get this with any other word.

Lord Illidan
October 8th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I stutter only on rare occasions, but enough to say that's a really good description of the feeling. It definitely has something more to do with physiological tension than social nervousness (which is always how it comes across, of course).

My other speech problem is that I absolutely cannot pronounce the word "statistics" (or any variation thereof) in the normal flow of my speech. I can only get it out if I pause, and slowly sound out each syllable. Or else I say something like "stastistics." I don't get this with any other word.

I also have problems with explosive consonants like P...makes me spit!
And yeah certain words trip me up.
Worse is when I stammer, I'm aware of it, and my embarassment makes me stammer more, so I have to just shutup, and then restart. Constant rebooting!

Frak
October 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I also have problems with explosive consonants like P...makes me spit!
And yeah certain words trip me up.
Worse is when I stammer, I'm aware of it, and my embarassment makes me stammer more, so I have to just shutup, and then restart. Constant rebooting!
Friends don't let friends become Winmo's ;) (who needs constant rebooting)

Lord Illidan
October 8th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Friends don't let friends become Winmo's ;) (who needs constant rebooting)

I know..but
sudo apt-get install --reinstall voicebox doesn't work here!

rsambuca
October 8th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I know..but

You might try gksudo instead.

Frak
October 8th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I know..but
You don't have the right repo's enabled ;)

HermanAB
October 8th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Maybe stuttering is due to DRM - a deliberate reduction in audio quality to foil illegal copying of spoken works.

scrooge_74
October 9th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I use to do it badly in school, as I grew older I realize it happens mostly when I get nervous about something. If I concentrate it will not happen, if I speak slowly it happen less. If I try to speak as fast as the ideas come to my mind it becomes a train wreack.

Any of you feel that if you stop speaking you will sutter? I sometimes find myself running out of air when I talk because I am trying to say everything before I stutter, like a deflating ballon.

p_quarles
October 9th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Maybe stuttering is due to DRM - a deliberate reduction in audio quality to foil illegal copying of spoken works.
Great. So, between rebooting and DRM, basically those of us who stutter are the human equivalent of Windows Vista.

Well, I'll just be over there, with a bucket of ice cream.:)

Frak
October 9th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I use to do it badly in school, as I grew older I realize it happens mostly when I get nervous about something. If I concentrate it will not happen, if I speak slowly it happen less. If I try to speak as fast as the ideas come to my mind it becomes a train wreack.

Any of you feel that if you stop speaking you will sutter? I sometimes find myself running out of air when I talk because I am trying to say everything before I stutter, like a deflating ballon.

Passed out once, no joke.

Though you can laugh, because I find it quite hilarious. :lolflag:

DoctorMO
October 9th, 2007, 12:06 AM

Does that mean you don't consider your own stuttering a disability or that you don't consider stuttering/stammering a disability? I'll assume the former since it's more polite to think that.

I see it as a disability that can be overcome with training, confidence and other methods. I see it as such because there is nothing heart achingly worse that trying to explain something and not being able to say the second half of a word and having all re-attempts flounder on the same word. it breaks your train of thought, confounds the other party and doesn't really lend it's self to clear communication.

The worst experiences are where you try and force a word, say 'money' and because one of the controls for a sound is not available it'll come out 'mou^ww-ney which while similar has left a number of people asking me to repeat the word sometimes it's only on the 4th time that I can say it clearly.

Fortunately the ray of sunshine is how good humans are at understanding diverse and non-exact patterns; most of the time people don't notice even if they meet you for the first time.

Raval
October 10th, 2007, 04:40 AM

Dude lay off the Tech forums for awhile.:lolflag:

HermanAB
October 10th, 2007, 04:44 AM
I don't stutter in a pub, so a higher octane makes my speech engine run better...

Frak
October 10th, 2007, 04:46 AM
I don't stutter in a pub, so a higher octane makes my speech engine run better...
Carefull though, it causes sludge buildup ;)

scrooge_74
October 10th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Passed out once, no joke.

Though you can laugh, because I find it quite hilarious. :lolflag:

I am laughing :lolflag: I do feel running out of air, but never tough you could really run out.

mcurtiss1970
October 10th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I stuttered quite a bit as a young child but it's mainly gone away as an adult. It's mainly now a small stammer when I get excited or when my brain outthinks my mouth.

scrooge_74
October 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I stuttered quite a bit as a young child but it's mainly gone away as an adult. It's mainly now a small stammer when I get excited or when my brain outthinks my mouth.

I have that same problem, my mouth is just to slow for my brain, but my fingers are a lot faster so they don't stutter :D

zami
October 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I don't stutter, but I do blurt. It's awful. Unless I am reading from printed text, I'll usually blurt out only half the words to a sentence, the first run through. And the words I do get out, come out so incredibly fast, even if they are perfectly enunciated they are spoken too quickly to be understood (especially when they are surrounded by gibberish!)

The sentence is perfectly formed in my head. It's on the tip of my tongue.
"I need to head back into town, I forgot to pick up cat litter."

And then I blurt out
"Ineed-dutu back towwwwn forgot litter!"

Then I'll sigh with annoyance and robotically say
"I am lea ving. We need cat lit ter."

It's definitely worse when I'm nervous or angry or overly tired.

I have no problems with reading aloud or giving speeches. I have few problems with say, my husband and close friends. I have major problems with speaking to new people. And I despise having to use the phone. I'm sure anyone at the other end just thinks I'm a crack head blurting and stammering as I do.

But hey, everything else works just fine, so I can only complain so much. :D

Lord Illidan
October 10th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I don't stutter, but I do blurt. It's awful. Unless I am reading from printed text, I'll usually blurt out only half the words to a sentence, the first run through. And the words I do get out, come out so incredibly fast, even if they are perfectly enunciated they are spoken too quickly to be understood (especially when they are surrounded by gibberish!)

The sentence is perfectly formed in my head. It's on the tip of my tongue.
"I need to head back into town, I forgot to pick up cat litter."

And then I blurt out
"Ineed-dutu back towwwwn forgot litter!"

Then I'll sigh with annoyance and robotically say
"I am lea ving. We need cat lit ter."

It's definitely worse when I'm nervous or angry or overly tired.

I have no problems with reading aloud or giving speeches. I have few problems with say, my husband and close friends. I have major problems with speaking to new people. And I despise having to use the phone. I'm sure anyone at the other end just thinks I'm a crack head blurting and stammering as I do.

But hey, everything else works just fine, so I can only complain so much. :D

Hey, be consoled. I have the same problem as you do. But in my case, it can get worse when I read aloud. Although if I do keep a firm grip on myself, and force myself to keep calm, I can then do quite well.

But yeah, the phone!!!](*,)

Mazza558
October 10th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Does that mean you don't consider your own stuttering a disability or that you don't consider stuttering/stammering a disability? I'll assume the former since it's more polite to think that.

I see it as a disability that can be overcome with training, confidence and other methods. I see it as such because there is nothing heart achingly worse that trying to explain something and not being able to say the second half of a word and having all re-attempts flounder on the same word. it breaks your train of thought, confounds the other party and doesn't really lend it's self to clear communication.

The worst experiences are where you try and force a word, say 'money' and because one of the controls for a sound is not available it'll come out 'mou^ww-ney which while similar has left a number of people asking me to repeat the word sometimes it's only on the 4th time that I can say it clearly.

Fortunately the ray of sunshine is how good humans are at understanding diverse and non-exact patterns; most of the time people don't notice even if they meet you for the first time.

My own stuttering really only occurs when I'm nervous or pressured, so in day-to-day life, it's no problem to me.

Raval
October 11th, 2007, 03:42 AM
I have that same problem, my mouth is just to slow for my brain, but my fingers are a lot faster so they don't stutter :D

Are you sure not finger?

scrooge_74
October 11th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Are you sure not finger?