PDA

View Full Version : What do you use DOSbox for?

Bungo Pony
October 7th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Right now, I'm just using it to run some of my classic games. However, since I'm not using it to carry out any tasks (deleting files, formatting floppies, pkzip, etc) I have it load up Quickmenu on startup. It's a fantastic graphical menu program, and it's easier and faster than cd'ing to each directory. I attached a screenshot.

So, has anybody done anything other than run games in DOSbox? Have any of you tried any of the following?

- Running the Arachne web browser
- Installing Windows
- Running Viruses

Or is there anything else interesting you've done in it?

anaconda
October 7th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I use it (just) for playing old games.

Haven't tried Quickmenu, but I also dont "cd" to each directory. I just go to the directory where the game is with nautilus and select open with dosbox..

Incense
October 7th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Mostly just games. I loaded Win 3.1 on it once just for kicks. Then I remembered why I did run it in the 90's either. :)

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Installed Windows 3.11 just fine in DOSbox.

Bungo Pony
October 7th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I tried installing Arachne on DOSbox for the heck of it, but it doesn't want to connect to the net. I'm guessing this is more of a problem with the emulator linking Arachne to the net with a LAN. I might be able to do it with a dialup modem, but that's no fun :)

FranMichaels
October 7th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I tried installing Arachne on DOSbox for the heck of it, but it doesn't want to connect to the net. I'm guessing this is more of a problem with the emulator linking Arachne to the net with a LAN. I might be able to do it with a dialup modem, but that's no fun :)

Games, that is what DOSBox is designed for. :) I do right click and open with as well to launch them.

As for the modem issue. Check in your dosbox.conf or .dosboxrc

[ipx]
# ipx -- Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=false

Change false to true, see if it helps ;)

kadath
October 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah I use it for old games. Playing BloodNet right now.

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Games, that is what DOSBox is designed for. :) I do right click and open with as well to launch them.

As for the modem issue. Check in your dosbox.conf or .dosboxrc

[ipx]
# ipx -- Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=false

Change false to true, see if it helps ;)
Where is DoxBox's default location at?

osic
October 7th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Why games of course:biggrin:, mostly ID's old stuff. Doom, Doom2, Heretic, the classics.

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Does anybody in here know how to set a Qemu disk as a Hard Drive in Ubuntu with mount?

Perfect Storm
October 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM
GAMES!!!

Got alot of games from back then I had dos on my computer.
I also use Dosbox Game Launcher. (here's a guide: http://gaming.gwos.org/doku.php/guides:dosbox)

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/96020/0/Dosbox-pre.jpg (http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/96019/0/Dosbox.jpg)

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks AI, saved me alot of trouble :)

DoktorSeven
October 7th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Why games of course:biggrin:, mostly ID's old stuff. Doom, Doom2, Heretic, the classics.
There are lots of new engines with native Linux support for Doom/Doom2/Final Doom/Heretic/Hexen that work perfectly well and give better performance (my favorite: Doomsday), you really don't need Dosbox for those. :)

I run the Ultima series in dosbox, even the ones that have native engines because they aren't perfect (they crash a lot).