PDA

View Full Version : Java + Gusty?

Lemons
October 7th, 2007, 03:27 AM
I have no idea if this belongs here, but its about java programming. But any java programmer tried to use a default look and feel in gusty, and got some GTK crtical errors? These are what I get:

(<unknown>:16796): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkButton to a GtkComboBoxEntry (need an instance of GtkEntry or of a subclass)

(<unknown>:16796): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_paint_box: assertion `style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

The combo box works, but it isnt very visually pleasing. I have not found this with any other feature (JCheckBox, JTable, JLabel, JTextPane, JButton, and a few others), so is it just this? atm im just using a list as a work around, but if anyone knows a fix, it would be helpful.

jespdj
October 7th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Which version of Java are you using? Are you using Sun Java or GNU Java?

Lemons
October 7th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Im using Sun's Java 1.0.6_03b05

bonsiware
October 21st, 2007, 10:04 AM
I've posted a bug in launchpad...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/150917

It happens to me launching Netbeans 6Beta1 or Sun Java Web Start...

bye

tenmillionmilesaway
October 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
This is just a hunch but are you using a theme different from the default theme that comes with ubuntu?

Richard

bonsiware
October 21st, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm using the default Human theme (see attachment)...
It's not a theme related issue...

tenmillionmilesaway
October 21st, 2007, 01:52 PM
It was just a hunch. Before i have seen similar errors and I assumed that I was because I was using a non-default theme.

geirha
October 21st, 2007, 02:15 PM
Does it work with other versions of java? you can switch between the different java versions installed with update-java-alternatives, unless it's different in Gutsy (this applies for Edgy and Feisty at least)

$ sudo update-java-alternatives --list
java-1.5.0-sun 53 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun
java-gcj 1041 /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj
$ sudo update-java-alternatives --set java-gcj

antodasana
October 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
I'm having the same problem.

java version "1.6.0_02"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_02-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_02-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

It happens only with JComboBox in any Java Swing aplication, and in my case this is happening since I updated to 7.10, there was no problem with 7.04.

Is it a GTK+ or an Ubuntu 7.10 distribution error?

santiagozky
October 22nd, 2007, 05:05 AM
I have the same problem.

Is there any way of disabling the java integration with gnome and use the default swing theme?

bonsiware
October 22nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
You can launch netbeans with the following argument:

--laf javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel

For the rest I don't know... :(

santiagozky
October 22nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
great. I think that will do for a while.

thanks for the tip

jede
October 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I have the same problem. I think this is a Java bug in the GTK L&F implementation of Swing. The comboboxes in all other Swing application are looking fine.
BTW: the error "works" on all GTK+ themes, not just for the Human theme.

Bye,
Stefan

tpischke
October 30th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I am seeing this problem too and can say that it has appeared recently. It started happening either with the upgrade to Java 6 update 3, or the upgrade to gutsy. GTK is looking great on Java now, with this problem with combo boxes being one of the few remaining blemishes.

jede
October 30th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I've create a bug report in the Java bug database at Sun. Hopefully it will get accepted and fixed...

hugoheden
October 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I've create a bug report in the Java bug database at Sun. Hopefully it will get accepted and fixed...

Excellent, thanks. Do you have a link for it? The bug you posted I mean. I'd like to follow what happens to it.

jede
November 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
It's not accepted yet :-( So there's no link ...
I hope they will not ignore it!!!

jede
November 5th, 2007, 07:45 PM
The bug has been accepted by Sun. Please go there and vote for it!

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6624717