PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a samsung phone?

a12ctic
October 7th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Does anyone know if samsung uses a universal interface on their phones? If so, I need someone to help me out. The screen of my phone got bashed in at a hardcore show, I wouldn't really care, except all of my contacts are lost.

The phone is still in working condition, I can make calls. I want to copy all my contacts to my sim card, and it should be do-able. I just dont know what dialog boxes pop up. So bassicly, I know what keys I need to pretty to get to the screen i need, I can get to the phone book -> management -> copy all to screen (of course i cant see it) but I have no idea what it says when i click this. If someone wouldn't mind, could you please go through this process and tell me what comes up wen you get to the "copy all to" section, and what I need to click to copy all the contacts to my sim card. Thanks a lot. I'm gonna lose about 200 numbers if I cant figure this out =/

a12ctic
October 7th, 2007, 04:54 AM
anyone? i really need some help =/

tgalati4
October 7th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Can you plug the phone into a USB port and see the memory card? If so, copy the *.vcf file, it's a standardized contacts file that you can then upload into your new phone.

a12ctic
October 7th, 2007, 05:32 AM
i dont have one for my phone actaully =/

tgalati4
October 7th, 2007, 06:08 AM
If your friends have cell phones, then someone has a cable. Ask around.

slimdog360
October 7th, 2007, 07:14 AM
you need a special cable. Last time I looked it was about $50 odd dollars. That was a year or two ago though. Or you can go and find the same phone and use that as the navigation.

AnRa
October 7th, 2007, 08:37 AM
You may use KMobileTools for downloading the contacts. ;)

bonzodog
October 7th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I have a samsung phone, but it seems they have been playing with the interface rather a lot. I noticed that when I went to look at other samsungs, the interface icon placement had moved around. Also, providers own modded firmware can move icons around as well.

ComplexNumber
October 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
a12ctic
i've got a smasung u600. which one have you got? after you go to "copy all to", there are only 2 menu entries. the 1st one is phone, and the 2nd one is sim.

FrankQuist
October 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM
No idea if these things have an unified interface. You should try a cable (didn't your phone come with a USB cable? :-/) and otherwise you could try going to a dealer and see if they could help you out with some tools. Maybe they could hook it up to a screen temporarily or at least have a cable to send all your contacts to some file.

I have instructions here for how to do it on my phone, but I don't have any clue if it works on yours. For all you know, steps that result in copying the files on my phone could end up being the steps to delete all contacts on yours (a manual could maybe help you out figure out if the steps are somewhat the same... you have one, do you?)

On my Samsung U600:

Menu button
Up (navigates to phonebook), Enter
7 (navigates to management)
2 (navigates to Copy all to)
2 (navigates to "SIM")
Now a "Copy all to SIM?" prompt comes up. Press whatever is usually the yes button on your Samsung phone (top left button for me, above the phone button and left to the navigation buttons)

Bear in mind that I don't think all contacts are completely copied. It seems it cuts off part of long names on the SIM and only store one number per contact and nothing else. At least on my phone.

Now to clean up this mess of duplicate contacts I have now ;-)

If you have any further questions for clarification feel free to contact me via IM/mail