PDA

View Full Version : Which Gutsy will you try?

vishzilla
October 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM
As the release of Gutsy is days away, which one are you gonna try out: the U or the K or the X?

I am looking to try out K this time. I haven't used KDE so far, i love the apps KDE offers.

Edit: Poll added

~LoKe
October 6th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Ubuntu. I can't tolerate KDE.

Quillz
October 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Ubuntu

santiagoward2000
October 6th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Definitely Xubuntu. I just love XFCE!
I may try the others sometime, but I sure I'll stay with Xubuntu... :guitar:

the.dark.lord
October 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Ubuntu

+1

daverich
October 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
betterthanyoubuntu for me

;)

I couldn't imagine life without it, normal versions make my family ill.

:lolflag:

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Frak
October 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Ubuntu or Xubuntu, I was impressed at Kubuntu at first (KDE Junkie), but was dissapointed with the very slight additions and modifications to it. :(

Oh well, Ubuntu/Xubuntu FTW :guitar:

EDIT
I also forsee Xubuntu's Gutsy release date being some time away from the deadline date.

walkerk
October 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I installed Ubuntu to take a look at Gnome 2.20.. not bad..

but i quickly found OB installed and running :P

santiagoward2000
October 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM
betterthanyoubuntu for me

;)

I couldn't imagine life without it, normal versions make my family ill.

:lolflag:

Kind regards

Dave Rich

betterthanyoubuntu? What's that? I googled it, but found nothing...

~LoKe
October 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I installed Ubuntu to take a look at Gnome 2.20.. not bad..

but i quickly found OB installed and running :P

I would use OB if I could have Compiz as well. =[

walkerk
October 6th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I would use OB if I could have Compiz as well. =[

xcompmgr does well enough for me. i don't use all of the extra compiz plugins.. who really does?

starcraft.man
October 6th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Already have Gutsy installed (Ubuntu). It's stable for me and after finding a VMware Workstation update I can now do all my work on it :).

Edit: Walkerk... I do. *spins cube* Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

walkerk
October 6th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Already have Gutsy installed (Ubuntu). It's stable for me and after finding a VMware Workstation update I can now do all my work on it :).

Edit: Walkerk... I do. *spins cube* Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

lol. i bet :P

-grubby
October 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM
well I'm using Ubuntu right now... but I might try Kubuntu this time
EDIT: oh wait! I've changed my mind. I'm going to try Fluxbuntu!

southernman
October 6th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Ubuntu for me, though I may dual boot this time with Win... grrrrr I mean - Xubuntu

Stan_1936
October 6th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Fluxbuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu...I will multiple boot them. I can't stand KDE...

jeremy
October 6th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Kubuntu for me (can't stand gnome)! ;)

dizee
October 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Xubuntu, just to see what it is like, and if it is much faster than gnome on my modest machine.

Gremlinzzz
October 6th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Xubuntu far superior than the others. especially on new computer.
:guitar:

Presto123
October 6th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Methinks...Ubuntu. I tried Kubuntu for just a few mins and did not like it at all. Sadly, maybe I was a bit touchy on my testing.

I will have to learn how to uninstall Feisty. Isn't there some simple way to just update to Gutsy?

vishzilla
October 6th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Methinks...Ubuntu. I tried Kubuntu for just a few mins and did not like it at all. Sadly, maybe I was a bit touchy on my testing.

I will have to learn how to uninstall Feisty. Isn't there some simple way to just update to Gutsy?

you can use the Alternate CD to upgrade or you can use the command line to upgrade. you will get the intimation to upgrade to latest Gutsy in the update manager.

pluviosity
October 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I am more of a KDE person myself (mostly for the apps), but I am going to try Ubuntu Gutsy, at least at first I think. Some of the new features look nice, but if they aren't worth it, it's back to Kubuntu for me :)

jc87
October 6th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Ubuntu :D

Already tested it in live-cd, the new Gnome version seems little but well improved (as usual).

I already tried KDE in the past but i always come back to Gnome, i will give it another chance when KDE 4.0 is released, but for now i´m a Gnome interface Nazi:KS

tcoffeep
October 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I'm currently testing out the Ubuntu version, but I'm hoping that some much-needed updates on the Xubuntu will be worked on, and I could try switching that-a-way, and so on. I hate KDE.

Frak
October 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I'm currently testing out the Ubuntu version, but I'm hoping that some much-needed updates on the Xubuntu will be worked on, and I could try switching that-a-way, and so on. I hate KDE.
Hate?
Kinda harsh, you think?

tcoffeep
October 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM
OK, maybe a little harsh, but I just didn't find it very "comfortable", if you understand.

Frak
October 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
OK, maybe a little harsh, but I just didn't find it very "comfortable", if you understand.
I agree, it is somewhat clunky.

HotShotDJ
October 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Kubuntu -- gnome is teh suxor! ( :) -- just playing -- but I really don't like gnome)

tcoffeep
October 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM
To each their own, methinks.

This may be off-topic, but has anyone ever used XPDE (rather than XFCE)? I've heard rumours of it...Would it work with Gutsy?

Circus-Killer
October 6th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Ubuntu

+ 1

I also vote you learn to create polls :)

LLauranzonIII
October 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM
gnome

Arathorn
October 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I'm already with Kubuntu Gutsy testing, and I'll stay with that. I like KDE a lot, although Kubuntu as a distro could get a bit more love (I'm a bit underwhelmed by the new features in Kubuntu Gutsy). Still, the upcoming release of KDE 4 will make it worth my while.

blithen
October 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Definitely Xubuntu. I just love XFCE!
I may try the others sometime, but I sure I'll stay with Xubuntu... :guitar:

+473562934785265875987456

ticopelp
October 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Ubuntu. I've tried the other flavors, and I just don't care for them as much.

Chalk me up as another entry in the KDE disliker's club.

jimrz
October 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
U, for sure + maybe X on an older machine to play with and see how it is progressing.

thisllub
October 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Kubuntu Fiesty was one of the poorest KDE implementations around. Perhaps that is why there are so many GNOME fans here.

Billy_McBong
October 6th, 2007, 08:29 PM
ill use gnome
KDE is okay but i prefer gnome

FuturePilot
October 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I've already tried them all:lolflag:
I'm sticking with Gnome though. I like the simplicity.
KISS is a great principle.

atlfalcons866
October 6th, 2007, 08:57 PM
has anyone used gobuntu

betweenthetines
October 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Ubuntu for me...although I'm considering trying out an openbox setup once I have Gutsy up and running.

mtgrocks04
October 6th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Kubuntu, I absolutly cannot stand Gnome.

Presto123
October 6th, 2007, 09:55 PM
you will get the intimation to upgrade to latest Gutsy in the update manager.

Now...that's sweet :)

toupeiro
October 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I've never really been a big KDE fan, it always felt too much like Windows, and I never really much cared for the post Program-Manager windows GUI's. (Not that I thought Program Manager was great either)

I've been doing the dist-upgrade process since 6.10 as a proof of concept that ubuntu can continually transition across several different versions without reinstalling. I don't know of a single circumstance where someone installed Windows 95/98, upgraded to 2000, upgraded to XP, and if they were bold enough upgraded to vista and things worked flawlessly for them.

With the next LTS, 8.04, I will do a reinstall on my main computer and run the LTS until EOL if I can. Again, this is to verify proof of concept. I will be using ubuntu though, for the reasons I stated above :)

Frak
October 6th, 2007, 10:41 PM
has anyone used gobuntu
I have, but not to my taste. I need some proprietary programs.

steveneddy
October 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Ubuntu. I can't tolerate KDE.

Ditto - I thought I was the only one.

tcoffeep
October 6th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Ditto - I thought I was the only one.

You're not alone. There're many of us. ^.^

Stan_1936
October 7th, 2007, 12:14 AM
XPDE is waay too Windows like for me.

tcoffeep
October 7th, 2007, 12:39 AM
That's what is made for, though, to adjust people migrating from Windows XP...

Stan_1936
October 7th, 2007, 12:42 AM
If you're migrating from (i.e. leaving behind) Windows, you should prepare for ahm....something.....***different***. I switched over to Ubuntu from Windows without a problem...clickity-click for a newbie installation.

Personally, if I['lv leavimg Windows, well, then I simply wouldn't anything that even remotely resembles Windows.

Bart_D
October 7th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Xfce baby! It is as "fast as lightning" for me. I loved the Zenwalk version slightly more but Xubuntu will do just fine.

I got a really sick feeling in my throat when I first saw KDE
It makes me feel just as sick as I would feel
when I drink tea.
I would get dizzy if I used KDE.
L-e-t-s G-o...XFCE!

sp0onman
October 7th, 2007, 01:03 AM
i will probably start out using ubuntu, but i must admit KDE does tikle my fancy.might give it more than 5 minutes chance this time. i do love gnome but KDE has better apps(please dont hurt me) oh btw i am using gnome atm.

transactionlogfiller
October 7th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Well, I had the ubuntu DVD, but I installed a command line system and then did apt-get install xubuntu-desktop :)

Just reinstalling my favourite extra packages on it now.

Bungo Pony
October 7th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Ubuntu all the way! I've played with Kubuntu. It looked nice at first glance, but after using it for a while, it was leaving little surprises everywhere, much like a new puppy :)

I love the stability and simplicity of Gnome. However, KDE's apps blow away most of the Gnome ones. I just mix n match whatever I can :)

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Ubuntu all the way! I've played with Kubuntu. It looked nice at first glance, but after using it for a while, it was leaving little surprises everywhere, much like a new puppy :)

I love the stability and simplicity of Gnome. However, KDE's apps blow away most of the Gnome ones. I just mix n match whatever I can :)
+1, very true :)

Depressed Man
October 7th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I'm using the Ubuntu Gutsy (beta) right now on my laptop. Not a big fan of KDE, though that may change when KDE4 comes out.

SpiritIsReality
October 7th, 2007, 02:01 AM
howdy

and along ... comes ... beatlebomb

buds

I'm in for the duration ...
buds

there's so much great ... whatchamacallits around here

Incense
October 7th, 2007, 02:20 AM
I love these KDE vs Gnome threads. They are so productive. If gutsy goes on my system, it will be Kubuntu, just because I use KDE. I have found with Ubuntu though, that if you load Kubuntu on top of the Gnome desktop it is a bit more stable then loading Kubuntu alone. Anyone else feel ths way? I guess that means I'll be running both U and K.

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I love these KDE vs Gnome threads. They are so productive. If gutsy goes on my system, it will be Kubuntu, just because I use KDE. I have found with Ubuntu though, that if you load Kubuntu on top of the Gnome desktop it is a bit more stable then loading Kubuntu alone. Anyone else feel ths way? I guess that means I'll be running both U and K.
Same here, don't know why.

Also, I think OpenSUSE did KDE right. It looks nice. Kubuntu looks like a 2 minute improvision.

Zoiked
October 7th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I am 100% Gnome at the moment and will probably stay that way until KDE4 comes out. Then we will see....

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I am 100% Gnome at the moment and will probably stay that way until KDE4 comes out. Then we will see....
KDE4 is out.

smartboyathome
October 7th, 2007, 02:36 AM
I will use GNOME for a long time to come (until KDE goes to GTK and Metacity, at least ;)). Reason is: I am a themer, and you have to make a program basically in order to make a theme in KDE. Also, Domino + KDE Color Scheme + Decoration is way more confusing to me than just a GTK theme and a Metacity theme.

old_geekster
October 7th, 2007, 02:52 AM
I am sticking with the "X". I have tried the others with Edgy and Feisty and still like "X" the best.

fuscia
October 7th, 2007, 03:01 AM
i pretty much always end up ditching gnome and only playing with kde for a few hours (before dumping it, ending up in the boxes for the majority of the time, so i'll do a server install (or alternative, or whatever it's called now). i'll probably learn some more as a result.

-grubby
October 7th, 2007, 03:53 AM
KDE4 is out.

not the stable version

RAV TUX
October 7th, 2007, 03:56 AM
As the release of Gutsy is days away, which one are you gonna try out: the U or the K or the X?

I am looking to try out K this time. I haven't used KDE so far, i love the apps KDE offers.

I am currently using all of the above and so much more in Gutsy. ;)

Frak
October 7th, 2007, 03:56 AM
not the stable version
But it is out for use.

TeraDyne
October 7th, 2007, 03:59 AM
It's always Kubuntu for me. I might give GNOME another shot later on, though.

AndyCooll
October 7th, 2007, 04:14 AM
It's always Kubuntu for me. I might give GNOME another shot later on, though.

'Tother way round for me. Ubuntu all the way, though I occasionally think it might be worth revisiting K again ...even if just to re-confirm my preference for GNOME.

:cool:

atlfalcons866
October 7th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I will be using kubuntu 7.10. I recently switched from gnome to KDE. Gnome dosent do what i want it to do.

atlfalcons866
October 7th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Kubuntu, I absolutly cannot stand Gnome.

same here

Presto123
October 7th, 2007, 04:39 AM
i will probably start out using ubuntu, but i must admit KDE does tikle my fancy.might give it more than 5 minutes chance this time. i do love gnome but KDE has better apps(please dont hurt me) oh btw i am using gnome atm.

Ahaha...just like me. I only took about the same time to look at KDE.

Sabretooth
October 7th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I dunno, really. GNOME is sort of clunky for me, and it slows down horribly with 4-5 apps. I've had a good experience with Kubuntu before, so that's where I'll go this time. :) Or perhaps I'll take both!

misfitpierce
October 7th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Ubuntu first as its my primary OS on laptop and I use laptop mainly. Maybe KDE afterwards.

Zoiked
October 7th, 2007, 07:32 AM
not the stable version

Ya, The current KDE4 is completely unstable and certainly not suitable for use.

Gargamella
October 7th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Xubuntu all the way

and I will try Fluxbuntu (which I was really waiting for)

EdThaSlayer
October 8th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I would have to go for Kubuntu 7.10 this time. I have gotten pretty used to KDE since I have gotten PClinuxOS installed(only changed because I don't have an internet connection at my dorm :D).

greymongrey
October 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I pretty much agree. KDE apps are better overall, at least for me. Gnome, however, has the slicker desktop.

As for answering the question, I will try Ubuntu. I have two KDE desktops and one Gnome one.

boast
October 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I like KDE apps, but the gnome environment.

But since my laptop uses Xubuntu, I'll be trying the X!

wersdaluv
October 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM
A poll would be nice.

pvdg
October 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Gobuntu should be on this list. That's what I'm going to try first. Does anyone know if it's possible to switch from Ubuntu 7.04 to Gobuntu 7.10 without reinstalling, after removing multiverse and restricted packages? Information on Gobuntu is rather scarce!

Frak
October 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Gobuntu should be on this list. That's what I'm going to try first. Does anyone know if it's possible to switch from Ubuntu 7.04 to Gobuntu 7.10 without reinstalling, after removing multiverse and restricted packages? Information on Gobuntu is rather scarce!
Just upgrade to 7.10 and run in the terminal

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
sudo aptitude install gobuntu-desktop

pvdg
October 14th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Just upgrade to 7.10 and run in the terminal

sudo aptitude safe-update
sudo aptitude install gobuntu-desktop

Thanks a lot Frak! and I'm glad it's that simple. I'll try it as soon as the official release is out in a few days.

Frak
October 14th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Anybody else who doesn't want to use the terminal to install, just click the link below to auto-install.

apt:gobuntu-desktop (apt:gobuntu-desktop)

ArtF10
October 14th, 2007, 08:45 PM
X baby all the way. Although I will first try Flux, just to see what all the fuss is about.

w7kmc
October 14th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Will be giving ubuntu a try this time. I have been using K...

Frak
October 14th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Will be giving ubuntu a try this time. I have been using K...
I was dissapointed with Kubuntu, but they recently fixed some things and its much, much better.

lyceum
October 14th, 2007, 10:06 PM
You should have added an "other" section. I am excited about Fluxbuntu finally coming out, and Ubuntu Studio is really cool as well, I do a lot of art, so it saves me a bit of time.

For my PC's, low grade will be switched to Fluxbuntu, my personal PC will be Ubuntu Studio and all other PCs will get Ubuntu.

:guitar:

LuisAugusto
October 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Ubuntu of course, KDE is impressive, but Kubuntu is not in the same league as Ubuntu (and I like GNOME too of course).

I'll might try Elbuntu 1.1 too, but it isn't based on Gutsy.

cogadh
October 15th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I'll be sticking with Ubuntu on my main machine. I like the apps offered with KDE, but I prefer the Gnome desktop. I might try out Xubuntu on one of my older machines, just for giggles.

tsnell
October 15th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I'll use ubuntu.

lunamystry
October 15th, 2007, 07:30 PM
WOW!! I've been using Gutsy KDE for a while now I and before that I was using KDE feisty. I originaly got a gnome feisty disc but after trying KDE once i have not really used gnome. I will install the gnome desktop but I am really satisfied with my KDE right now.

I also sometimes feel kubuntu does not get as mush attention as ubuntu from the developers. I have to install compiz myself and kdetheme and I think that could be installed default.

LowSky
October 15th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I got Gutsy veriosn of Ubuntu Studio running for about 2 weeks now, and everything seems to working fine

hessiess
October 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM
no none option? fisty fawn is working perfectily, i have no resen to change

cookieofdoom
October 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I'll get a server edition CD, then I'll probably install Kubuntu and Ubuntu. I switch between KDE and Gnome rather often, it depends on what I'm trying to do. I prefer KDE but sometimes things are faster in Gnome.

Baby Boy
October 15th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Ubuntu, though I ordered the Kubuntu CD too, just to see what it's like. Who knows...

herbster
October 15th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I'll of course grab Ubuntu, but immediately get Openbox going. Only been about two weeks using OB and it she rocks.

arashiko28
October 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM
For being honest, it is U and X, but it only lets me choose one. So take it in consideration, the oldie does not support the power of the U and K

Coldkill
October 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I'm waiting to try Ubuntu
Not a long wait now :)

octoberdan
October 29th, 2007, 06:24 PM
To celebrate the release of Gutsy, I installed e17 :-). Actually, I turned my experience into my first ubuntu blog post (http://octoberdan.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/installing-elbuntu-e17-for-ubuntu/).

So, my votes for Elbuntu, which is sadly not on the list.

(if (boundp 'elbunt)
(set 'elbuntu (+ elbuntu 1))
(set 'elbuntu 1))

goumples
October 29th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Gnome fan 100%