PDA

View Full Version : So Comcast sucks...

blithen
October 6th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Everytime I download an ISO it ALWAYS no matter WHAT comes up corrupt. Now matter what distro. I've downloaded slackware and zenwalk, and debian at least 5 times, and each are corrupt. Anyone else with comcast have this problem?

Presto123
October 6th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Everytime I download an ISO it ALWAYS no matter WHAT comes up corrupt. Now matter what distro. I've downloaded slackware and zenwalk, and debian at least 5 times, and each are corrupt. Anyone else with comcast have this problem?

Odd...I don't have it, but that shouldn't be caused by the provider. Should it?

Are you using a download manager? I'm using Free Download Manager on Windows and you can see the progress and other people's opinions on the download. Try using that so that you can resume if there are any problems.

This may be utterly useless, but it almost looks like it's something with programs getting broken by stoppage.

fwojciec
October 6th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Sounds more like a problem with your computer - memory perhaps?

buzzmandt
October 6th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I use comcast and freeloader for a simple download manager, supports resume and such and have had no problem with any iso downloads.....

Side note: I dislike comcast because I use to work for them and give them problems every chance I get, but their service has been pretty good.

Frak
October 6th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Use DownThemAll! instead, also, Comcast is not near as bad as AT&T/SBC.

eljoeb
October 6th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I've never had a problem with Comcast. Sorry I can't jump on the evil corporation bandwagon. Are you sure its not your computer?

p_quarles
October 6th, 2007, 02:29 AM
There are a bunch of graphical download managers for Linux (WxDownloader, KGet, others). And then there's the CLI wget:

wget url
If the connection times out at any point, or you end up with a corrupted file, just enter the command again and it will automically resume the download.

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Everytime I download an ISO it ALWAYS no matter WHAT comes up corrupt. Now matter what distro. I've downloaded slackware and zenwalk, and debian at least 5 times, and each are corrupt. Anyone else with comcast have this problem?Comcast is corrupt, they are the Evil Empire!(one of many)

jimrz
October 6th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I've never had a problem with Comcast. Sorry I can't jump on the evil corporation bandwagon. Are you sure its not your computer?

+1 ... have other issues with them, ie capping dl speed on torrent traffic on a rolling basis, but nothing like that. Try using a torrent for your dl's, as they perform hash checks as they go.

Crashmaxx
October 6th, 2007, 02:45 AM
There are a bunch of graphical download managers for Linux (WxDownloader, KGet, others). And then there's the CLI wget:

wget url
If the connection times out at any point, or you end up with a corrupted file, just enter the command again and it will automically resume the download.

Actually you need to add the -c option for it to resume. Otherwise it makes a new file.

p_quarles
October 6th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Actually you need to add the -c option for it to resume. Otherwise it makes a new file.
That's not what the man page says. If you're in the same session and dl'ing the same file, it will resume by default.

My connection is really reliable, though, so I can't say I've had to test this (i.e., the man page could be wrong).

Incense
October 6th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I'm on Comcast, and my ISO's download fine, via Bit-Torrent. Every night around 10 MST though, I'm unable to access anything Google related on any of my machines unless I set up an open DNS. Don't really know if that's Comcast or what, but it kind of really sucks.

Presto123
October 6th, 2007, 03:29 AM
+1 ... have other issues with them, ie capping dl speed on torrent traffic on a rolling basis, but nothing like that. Try using a torrent for your dl's, as they perform hash checks as they go.

Well...quit using Hash then! ---Har, har, har.

I know, I know: super corny.

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 05:41 AM
My primary problem with Comcast is the super slow speeds on cable...aweful!

blithen
October 6th, 2007, 06:41 AM
I'm on Comcast, and my ISO's download fine, via Bit-Torrent. Every night around 10 MST though, I'm unable to access anything Google related on any of my machines unless I set up an open DNS. Don't really know if that's Comcast or what, but it kind of really sucks.
Woah thought I was the only one with this problem. exact same thing happens to me.

blithen
October 6th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Sounds more like a problem with your computer - memory perhaps?
I just ran memtest+86 for like 2 hours.
And I still have problems, so it is comcast...gaaah.

Incense
October 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Woah thought I was the only one with this problem. exact same thing happens to me.

Sweet. Glad I'm not alone as well. Just using an open DNS will fix it. I'm just trying a torrent and it wouldn't go through until I clicked the encryption box in ktorrent. So much for net neutrality. :(