PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Make a Webpage for My Mom

user1397
October 5th, 2007, 11:25 PM
My mom wants a website for her business, and I know how to make one, I just don't know how to deal with the whole domain names and webhosting stuff...

What services or domain providers do you recommend and why?

I want the least hassle possible...

derekr44
October 5th, 2007, 11:33 PM
If she doesn't have a domain yet, you're in luck. Most webhosts will give you a free domain name if you register and host through them. That way there's less hassle.

GoDaddy is a good one :) I have 4 domains (sites) hosted on one account.

n3tfury
October 5th, 2007, 11:34 PM
exactly how do you "know how" to make a web page, but never learned the basics? sorry, but that's part of basic web dev

ticopelp
October 5th, 2007, 11:44 PM
exactly how do you "know how" to make a web page, but never learned the basics? sorry, but that's part of basic web dev

You're funny. Ever hear of Geocities? Plenty of people "know how" to make a webpage without having the first inkling of how hosting or domains work. How to make one that won't burn your retinas out is another matter entirely, of course.

Professional web development is completely different -- but I suspect you know this and are just being unpleasant.

To the OP, I have had good luck with Lunarpages for hosting and worked professionally with Dreamhost in the past -- of the two, I've found Lunarpages more reliable. I use EasyDNS for my domain registration, and they're helpful enough, though I don't think their prices are all that competitive, and I stay with them mostly for the sake of convenience.

The only hosting company I would actively advise against would be SLHost. I had the misfortune to work on a site hosted by them, and downtime and massive slowdowns were nearly constant.

ryno519
October 5th, 2007, 11:55 PM

Domains and nameservers is deployment, not development. How can you not know that? ;)

rickyjones
October 5th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I have had very good luck with Godaddy personally. I recommend it.

-Richard

frup
October 6th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Alexa states one of my dedicated servers through godaddy as being slower than 96% of all other servers :(

curuxz
October 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I can provide you cheep hosting, PM me if your intrested.

For a small e-commerce site probs about us$10-20 p/m.

BOBSONATOR
October 6th, 2007, 12:13 AM
1and1 hosting FTW. great prices for sites/hosting

Highly reccomend

user1397
October 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Domains and nameservers is deployment, not development. How can you not know that? ;)Well to answer your questions, I originally made my first web page for my dad (a professional profile page), with a wysiwyg editor and a free template i found online, but as I started learning more html, xhtml, and css, i redesigned the site, making it w3c-compliant and such. The site itself was put up on my dad's free domain, provided by his employer, so basically all I had to know about getting his website up on the web was how to connect through FTP and a password.

so I haven't had to deal with actually buying a domain name or anything like that...

And to everyone else who posted, thanks for all your suggestions.

samb0057
October 6th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I have all my domains at godaddy.com, i get my web hosting at hostforweb.com.

When you get hosting go with hostforweb.com or godaddy.com. I've had tons of web hosts and these are the only two ive ever been satisfied with. They are not the cheapest, but trust me it's not worth the cheap price for the very low quality of service you get at most web hosts.

southernman
October 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I've only used enom for domain registrar... always great service! Good online docs and freindly helpful staff just an email or phone call away.

As for webhosting. I used Idologic.com for a long while, they've since moved to soley reseller and dedicated hosting plans, but they may work with you if interested in them. Fantastic service and blazing support response times.

I've not used the next one, but know of the owner pretty well through a popular webhosting forum... affordablehost.com. She's not a fly by night operation and never once saw a complaint registered towards them.

I've heard good things also about 1and1, as already suggested.

LookTJ
October 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I'd try dreamhost