PDA

View Full Version : envoking application launcher simply by typing??

toupeiro
October 5th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way for you to start typing a command and your typing will automatically invoke the run application tool when a window is not in focus?

the closest example I can think of to what I am looking for is the behavior in nautilus when you start typing and it will find the relative file or directory automatically based on what you typed.

my goal here is a completely seamless way of getting away from using menu's or toolbars to start applications, but have a GUI to manage them.

any ideas?

toupeiro
October 5th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I found something close called tilda. It's very close. I like that hittinf F1 can bring it into the foreground and then hide it, but bringing it into the foreground will not grab focus which is unfortunate. What I am hoping for is something a slight bit more seamless. Still poking at it .. Still open to any suggestions :)

Incense
October 5th, 2007, 11:11 PM
you just want a launcher? Have you tried Deskbar or Katapult?

ticopelp
October 5th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Not that this will help much, but there's an app called Quicksilver for OS X that does just that, and it's gorgeous. I wish there were a version of it for Linux, but to the best of my knowledge, there isn't really.

Using alt-F2 and the predictive text finding is a poor substitute, but one I've been making do with.

Incense
October 5th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Not that this will help much, but there's an app called Quicksilver for OS X that does just that, and it's gorgeous. I wish there were a version of it for Linux, but to the best of my knowledge, there isn't really.

Using alt-F2 and the predictive text finding is a poor substitute, but one I've been making do with.

Katapult reminds me a bit of quicksilver. Not quite as powerful though.

ticopelp
October 5th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Katapult reminds me a bit of quicksilver. Not quite as powerful though.

Thanks, I might give that a try myself.

toupeiro
October 5th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Katapult looks awesome! Yes, this is definately the kind of thing I am looking for. I appreciate the help!

Being a KDE app, some of its default behavior is a bit weird in gnome. Does anyone know what the .config file for it is called? for some reason when I try to use its google functionality it pulls up quanta instead of firefox

Incense
October 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM
You can also try DeskBar. Right click on your panel, say add to panel, and select deskbar from the list. It's a native gnome app, and you can set up any key binding with it.

Not sure where the config file is for Katapult though. Maybe check your .KDE/ Share/ Apps. (I'm not on my linux box right now or I'd look)