PDA

View Full Version : sick of firefox

funrider
October 5th, 2007, 09:24 PM
i am not a newbie and i am from IT. ff was good when it first came out but recently i just cant stand it no more. I am writing this with epiphany-browser which is lighter and never crash/freeze on my fiesty fawn 64 bit machine. At work I use konqueror with cygwin from the suse box since ff also crash on the windoze box.

damn it, ff team you have to do something to fix the memory issue or you will be hated by the public.

floke
October 5th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Used to LOVE ffx - got me into FOSS so it did - but damn it - epiphany just rocks!

spacegypsy
October 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Ever tried Swiftweasel (http://swiftweasel.sourceforge.net/about.php) ?

mindtrick
October 5th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Give Swiftfox (http://getswiftfox.com/) a try.

Jimmyfj
October 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Epiphany is a great browser, one of the greatest I've ever tried. Not that I have a great deal of trouble or any issues with Ffx, I use swiftfox instead. But nothing beats Epiphany in my opinion. Still I'm looking forward to try the new Firefox 3.0. It should be more stable. I'll wait and see.

floke
October 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Swiftweasel - still not as fast as Epiphany on my box - though others may differ.

Samhain13
October 8th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I'm also trying to get myself used to using Epiphany (over Firefox) for normal browsing. I just have a question though: how do I set it so that the browser opens a new page in a tab rather than in a new window?

picpak
October 8th, 2007, 03:31 PM
For me, Firefox seems to run a lot better on Windows. I've given up on running it on Linux.

I say give Opera 9.23 a try. No memory problems there.

Artificial Intelligence
October 8th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Epiphany FTW! Used it since the early ubuntu days and never regret it. :guitar:

starcraft.man
October 8th, 2007, 04:04 PM
i am not a newbie and i am from IT. ff was good when it first came out but recently i just cant stand it no more. I am writing this with epiphany-browser which is lighter and never crash/freeze on my fiesty fawn 64 bit machine. At work I use konqueror with cygwin from the suse box since ff also crash on the windoze box.

damn it, ff team you have to do something to fix the memory issue or you will be hated by the public.

I have to ask but why are you demanding something of the Firefox dev team on the Ubuntu forums?

Seems I'm the only person ok with Firefox (at least in this thread). I agree that 2.0 release is the worst/crashes most of all of them (even if not for me). I personally don't have much of an issue with it, I happen to leave Firefox on for hours (sometimes days at a time) loaded up with over 20 extensions. Maybe my box is magical...

Anyway, have a look at the nightly build of 3.0, a lot of things were changed and modified and overall it seems a great improvement to me. I believe even a few steps were taken with regards to everyone's favourite memory issue.