PDA

View Full Version : Who here thinks Xubuntu is better then OS X?

RAV TUX
October 5th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Inspired directly by this thread:
Poll: Who thinks Ubuntu is better than Windows (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=568244)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=568244

1. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use the default XFCE DE in Xubuntu)

2. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Enlightenment 17 in Xubuntu)

3. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use GNOME in Xubuntu)

4. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use KDE in Xubuntu)

5. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Fluxbox in Xubuntu)

6. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Openbox in Xubuntu)

7. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use JWM in Xubuntu)

8. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Beryl/Compiz-Fusion in Xubuntu) *select the DE above

9. Disagree I prefer OS X over Xubuntu

10. Other, select this option and post in the thread if you are not pigeon holed in the above options...

(This is a multiple choice enabled poll)

RAV TUX
October 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Inspired directly by this thread:
Poll: Who thinks Ubuntu is better than Windows (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=568244)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=568244

1. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use the default XFCE DE in Xubuntu)

2. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Enlightenment 17 in Xubuntu)

3. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use GNOME in Xubuntu)

4. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use KDE in Xubuntu)

5. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Fluxbox in Xubuntu)

6. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Openbox in Xubuntu)

7. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use JWM in Xubuntu)

8. Agreed Xubuntu is better then OS X (I use Beryl/Compiz-Fusion in Xubuntu) *select the DE above

9. Disagree I prefer OS X over Xubuntu

10. Other, select this option and post in the thread if you are not pigeon holed in the above options...

(This is a multiple choice enabled poll)

refer to this thread to see the many faces of Xubuntu:

The many faces of Xubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=567885)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=567885

n3tfury
October 5th, 2007, 10:13 PM
i chose other since i've not spent enough time with either of them to really say for sure i'd prefer one over the other. if i were to say RIGHT NOW, i'd say OSX.

Polygon
October 5th, 2007, 10:22 PM
xubuntu is terrible. Im using it and running into so many problems

the panel randomly decides to not pop up

xfce in itself is feature lacking, cant do simple stuff like drag a box around icons on the desktop, cant drag and drop items from the menu into the panels or the desktop

the menu editor is confusing and i still have not figured out to work it

why does it include firefox by default? its a pretty memory/cpu intensive browser....epiphany is better

and if you use gnome in xubuntu it is no longer xubuntu.... its more like ubuntu..... same with kde in xubuntu... etc. Xubuntu is xfce + ubuntu core.

the quit button randomly breaks and doesnt work (cant connect to session manager?)

its just the little stuff that makes me hate it. but things like the panel dissapearing (making it so you cant do ANYTHING) is what is preventing me from giving xubuntu to a friend who needs a new OS... i shall be giving him ubuntu... i cant expect him to remember 'when the panels dissapear, press alt+f2 and type xfce4-panels &"

osx on the other hand is a great operating system. not matter what people say its rock hard stable, and the integration with the hardware is down to essentially a perfection. everything works flawlessly....wifi.....graphics.....suspend/hibernate....everything. Only problem is that its closed source.

RAV TUX
October 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM
xubuntu is terrible. Im using it and running into so many problems

the panel randomly decides to not pop up

xfce in itself is feature lacking, cant do simple stuff like drag a box around icons on the desktop, cant drag and drop items from the menu into the panels or the desktop

why does it include firefox by default? its a pretty memory/cpu intensive browser....epiphany is better

and if you use gnome in xubuntu it is no longer xubuntu.... its more like ubuntu..... same with kde in xubuntu... etc. Xubuntu is xfce + ubuntu core.

the quit button randomly breaks and doesnt work (cant connect to session manager?)

its just the little stuff that makes me hate it. but things like the panel dissapearing (making it so you cant do ANYTHING) is what is preventing me from giving xubuntu to a friend who needs a new OS... i shall be giving him ubuntu... i cant expect him to remember 'when the panels dissapear, press alt+f2 and type xfce4-panels &"

Interesting I haven't experienced any of those problems, but I have set my default DE(Shell) to e17.

So if you use e17 in Xubuntu what do you call it?

Eubuntu?

Elotero
October 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
What is Xubuntu? Isnt it the smaller version of Ubuntu?? Theres so many Ubuntus... Studio, Mint, Puppy, Edubuntu, Xunbuntu, Kubuntu... whats the differences.. the packages only? I only know KDE is Kubuntu.. but im not even sure what the difference is between Gnome and KDE.. is it purely technical?

fuscia
October 5th, 2007, 10:26 PM

my guess - sounds like you're trying too hard. i find it drunken child easy.

so rav, no love for 9wm (which clearly kicks osx's butt)?

Polygon
October 5th, 2007, 10:31 PM
im just saying. Xubuntu its literally just xfce + some programs over the ubuntu core. if you install gnome, your either installing ubuntu-desktop which is all the packages that get installed if you just had installed regular ubuntu anyway, or just base gnome which is Gnome, but not all of the custom packages that come with it, just like the configuration utilities.

and the menu editor in ubuntu makes sense, i tried it in xubuntu and i couldn't figure out how to add anything.... if there is a guide floating around out there for it i would like it :D

RAV TUX
October 5th, 2007, 10:39 PM
What is Xubuntu? Isnt it the smaller version of Ubuntu?? Theres so many Ubuntus... Studio, Mint, Puppy, Edubuntu, Xunbuntu, Kubuntu... whats the differences.. the packages only? I only know KDE is Kubuntu.. but im not even sure what the difference is between Gnome and KDE.. is it purely technical?

There are three official version of Ubuntu

1. Ubuntu - uses the GNOME DE
2. Kubuntu - uses the KDE DE
3. Xubuntu - uses the XFCE DE

I only use Xubuntu because for some reason Ubuntu & Kubuntu won't even load on my computer, it is not a matter of space I have plenty. I don't know why honestly.

So anyway if you use Xubuntu(or Ubuntu & Kubuntu) for that matter you can use any DE environment:

for me I simply open the terminal and type in:

sudo apt-get install kde
sudo apt-get install gnome
sudo apt-get install ratpoison
sudo apt-get install fluxbox
sudo apt-get install jwm
sudo apt-get install openbox
sudo apt-get install icewmetc. etc.

e17 is a little more difficult but much more rewarding then any of the other DE/WM's

refer to this thread on how to install e17 in Xubuntu:
HOWTO: installation of E17 from CVS (UPDATED) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546746&highlight=e17&page=4)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546746&highlight=e17&page=4

The distro is still the same, I still use Xubuntu, but I can just restart x(ctrl + alt + backspace) and log into any session I desire...

The KDE & GNOME I use are a world of difference from Ubuntu & Kubuntu default settings at least in appearance...

please refer to this thread to see the many faces of Xubuntu:

The many face of Xubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=567885)

keep in mind some Linux distros will come with two or more DE installed by default instead of making separate distos for each DE, allowing you the freedom to log into any DE/WM session that you choose.

You can do the same in Xubuntu (& others), just simply install them.

RAV TUX
October 5th, 2007, 10:40 PM

so rav, no love for 9wm (which clearly kicks osx's butt)?I will have to try 9wm, can I apt-get it?

RAV TUX
October 5th, 2007, 10:48 PM

I will have to try 9wm, can I apt-get it?

The answer is yes!

ravtux@CafeLinux:~$ sudo apt-get install 9wm
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
9wm
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 24.1kB of archives.
After unpacking 106kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com (http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/) feisty/universe 9wm 1.2-7 [24.1kB]
Fetched 24.1kB in 0s (36.4kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package 9wm.
(Reading database ... 159853 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking 9wm (from .../archives/9wm_1.2-7_i386.deb) ...
Setting up 9wm (1.2-7) ...so the real question is how many DE/WM's can you use in OS X compared to Xubuntu?

RAV TUX
October 5th, 2007, 10:56 PM

WOW! 9wm is awesome it's like a dream come true I can just open a terminal and type in any command I want!

perfect!!!

just what I was dreaming of, honestly

here's a screenshot:

http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/albums/userpics/normal_snapshot15.png (http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0)

kadath
October 6th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Xubuntu is the best out of the *buntus so far. Xfce is what a DE should be: light and modular; not like monolithic GNOME and KDE.

Thunar is the best file manager ever. It's so awesome it'll kick your teeth in. I heard Thunar had a threesome with Nautilus and Konqueror, then never called them back. Badass.

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Xubuntu is the best out of the *buntus so far. Xfce is what a DE should be: light and modular; not like monolithic GNOME and KDE.

Thunar is the best file manager ever. It's so awesome it'll kick your teeth in. I heard Thunar had a threesome with Nautilus and Konqueror, then never called them back. Badass.
Wow! that Thunar is hot!

fuscia
October 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM
WOW! 9wm is awesome it's like a dream come true I can just open a terminal and type in any command I want!

perfect!!!

just what I was dreaming of, honestly

9wm rocks, but i won't believe you until you start a thread devoted to it.

BOBSONATOR
October 6th, 2007, 06:17 PM
i love xfce, but osx is such a well rounded os.

prizrak
October 6th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Far as I'm concerned the only thing worse than OS X is Windows.

Stan_1936
October 6th, 2007, 06:49 PM
...for me I simply open the terminal and type in:

sudo apt-get install kde
sudo apt-get install gnome
sudo apt-get install ratpoison
sudo apt-get install fluxbox
sudo apt-get install jwm
sudo apt-get install openbox
sudo apt-get install icewmetc. etc.

Say I install fluxbox in Xubuntu and then decide that I want to remove XFCE...how would I go about doing this?

OR

If I install openbox in Ubuntu and then decide that I want to remove Gnome...how would I go about doing this?

Assume in both cases that the ordinary installation procedure was used...no mini CD, no alternate CD...no text/ command line install...nothing...just the regular ISO and the regular newbie install.

Frak
October 6th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Sorry, I'm an Aqua Junkie...

Dixon Bainbridge
October 6th, 2007, 09:40 PM
The major problem with OSX apart from Finder, which has clearly been designed by a committee of idiots none of which were aware of what anyone else was doing (I mean, open a photograph file in a folder, and I want to view the next one in that folder... wait no, I can't! I have to select them all and then open them in another app... wtf?? taxi for Finder designer...) and you can't change anything like the filemanager or the look of it (without spending money on an app to do it properly and even then some apps don't change), is that it is so resource heavy that if Apple were to design a formula one car it would be made entirely of gold and marble.

My Mac book is so slow compared to my linux laptop (which is half the spec in terms of memory and processor) which is entirely down to OSX. It runs like a 2 twolegged dog.

Apart from that, its ok :)

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 09:49 PM
The major problem with OSX apart from Finder, which has clearly been designed by a committee of idiots none of which were aware of what anyone else was doing (I mean, open a photograph file in a folder, and I want to view the next one in that folder... wait no, I can't! I have to select them all and then open them in another app... wtf?? taxi for Finder designer...) and you can't change anything like the filemanager or the look of it (without spending money on an app to do it properly and even then some apps don't change), is that it is so resource heavy that if Apple were to design a formula one car it would be made entirely of gold and marble.

My Mac book is so slow compared to my linux laptop (which is half the spec in terms of memory and processor) which is entirely down to OSX. It runs like a 2 twolegged dog.

Apart from that, its ok :)Why don't you install Linux on your Mac book?

n3tfury
October 6th, 2007, 09:50 PM

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/91/47/23044791.jpg

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM

While I do like 9wm, e17 is my choice.

Polygon
October 6th, 2007, 10:00 PM
some more complaints:

you cant resize panels if there is any sort of widget in it, because the widgets dont resize properly and are designed for the big honking 34 pixel panels which kinda take up a lot of screen reality

cant customize how many virtual desktops you have, its stuck at 5 for me and the properties does not have an option for it

the update-notifier dameon is turned OFF by default....why?

and the menu editor...sucks. Where do i add entries under certain menu entries... like internet....accessories...system tools?

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8125/screenshot1cx9.th.png (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1cx9.png)

and again firefox is the default browser. even though i have set epiphany as the default browser in the xfce default applications thing, if i click a link in pidgin or xchat or whatever it opens firefox.... and it really lags my 400mhz 154 mb ram computer!

Dixon Bainbridge
October 6th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Why don't you install Linux on your Mac book?

Short answer: I can't be bothered. I don't actually mind OSX, its just a little bloaty and slow at times. Its like a fat annoying cousin that has all the best toys. You don't mind putting up with his whining cos you get to play with his stuff :)

Presto123
October 6th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Meh, It seems a little TOO bare bones for me. It's currently on live CD on another computer. I just don't that some stuff is missing that I have come to love on Gnome.

I know I could probably install the missing stuff, but, it would defeat the purpose. Right?

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 10:04 PM
some more complaints:

you cant resize panels if there is any sort of widget in it, because the widgets dont resize properly and are designed for the big honking 34 pixel panels which kinda take up a lot of screen reality

cant customize how many virtual desktops you have, its stuck at 5 for me and the properties does not have an option for it

the update-notifier dameon is turned OFF by default....why?

and the menu editor...sucks. Where do i add entries under certain menu entries... like internet....accessories...system tools?

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8125/screenshot1cx9.th.png (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1cx9.png)

and again firefox is the default browser. even though i have set epiphany as the default browser in the xfce default applications thing, if i click a link in pidgin or xchat or whatever it opens firefox.... and it really lags my 400mhz 154 mb ram computer!Simply solution just use e17 in Xubuntu.

Polygon
October 6th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Simply solution just use e17 in Xubuntu.

i dont want to use e17. i WANT to use xfce but there are some major flaws on xfce's and ubuntu's part that is preventing me from using it.

and again if i use e17 in xubuntu, its defeating the point of using xubuntu in the first place. why dont you just install ubuntu server edition and install e17 from there? its the same thing.

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Short answer: I can't be bothered. I don't actually mind OSX, its just a little bloaty and slow at times. Its like a fat annoying cousin that has all the best toys. You don't mind putting up with his whining cos you get to play with his stuff :)

So...OS X is ongeblozzen!

Ongeblozzen - Conceited: peevish, sulky, pouting
Meh, It seems a little TOO bare bones for me. It's currently on live CD on another computer. I just don't that some stuff is missing that I have come to love on Gnome.

I know I could probably install the missing stuff, but, it would defeat the purpose. Right?

What purpose?...Linux is about freedom, just install any DE/WM on it that you want and simple restart X(Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) to login to any session you desire.

I have my default session set to Enlightenment 17 in Xubuntu 7.10

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 10:11 PM
i dont want to use e17. i WANT to use xfce but there are some major flaws on xfce's and ubuntu's part that is preventing me from using it.

and again if i use e17 in xubuntu, its defeating the point of using xubuntu in the first place. why dont you just install ubuntu server edition and install e17 from there? its the same thing.
I prefer to use Xubuntu as my base system, I am not looking for a minimal install...I actively use as many DE/WM's in Xubuntu that I choose to; XFCE, KDE, GNOME, E17, Openbox, Fluxbox, Blackbox, RatPoisen, 9wm, Amiwm, JWm, etc., etc.

I view Xubuntu as the OS of choice for power users.

Lord Illidan
October 6th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I never used OS X, except for a second in a computer store when no one was looking.

But I prefer Zenwalk's implementation of XFCE as opposed to Xubuntu.

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 10:16 PM
currently 32 votes for Xubuntu
only 22 for OS X

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I never used OS X, except for a second in a computer store when no one was looking.

But I prefer Zenwalk's implementation of XFCE as opposed to Xubuntu.

I think that Wolvix and Aquamorph have the best implementation of XFCE of any Linux distros. Zenwalk is ok also.

Lord Illidan
October 6th, 2007, 10:19 PM
currently 32 votes for Xubuntu
only 22 for OS X

Of course, bias.....ask this in Digg :P

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Of course, bias.....ask this in Digg :P

What is Digg?

Presto123
October 6th, 2007, 10:44 PM
So...OS X is ongeblozzen!

Ongeblozzen - Conceited: peevish, sulky, pouting

What purpose?...Linux is about freedom, just install any DE/WM on it that you want and simple restart X(Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) to login to any session you desire.

I have my default session set to Enlightenment 17 in Xubuntu 7.10

By that, I mean the increased performance.

Stan_1936
October 7th, 2007, 06:10 AM
OK RAV_TUX...got a question:

I installed e17 on Xubuntu Fiesty using that "easy way to install e17" from the elubuntu repositories. So far it seems to work (keeping my fingers crossed). Now, in my session manager, I have XFCE (with Compiz Fusion installed) and enlightenment among whatever else came by default in Xubuntu. I have Enlightenment as my default session and now want to remove XFCE so as to only keep Enlightenment. Can I do this from an Enlightenment session and, if so, how?

Also, how do I update....just:?
sudo aptitude update

Would that work?

Regarding the removing of XFCE again, here's what I got from the XFCE website:

"If you decide to uninstall Xfce...run the command

$ xfce4.uninstall

with the same user you installed Xfce earlier (e.g. prepend sudo if you installed as root).

So, would I need
sudo xfce4.uninstall

or do I need that $ before xfce?

RAV TUX
October 7th, 2007, 06:25 AM
OK RAV_TUX...got a question:

I installed e17 on Xubuntu Fiesty using that "easy way to install e17" from the elubuntu repositories. So far it seems to work (keeping my fingers crossed). Now, in my session manager, I have XFCE (with Compiz Fusion installed) and enlightenment among whatever else came by default in Xubuntu. I have Enlightenment as my default session and now want to remove XFCE so as to only keep Enlightenment. Can I do this from an Enlightenment session and, if so, how?

Also, how do I update....just:?
sudo aptitude updateWould that work?

Regarding the removing of XFCE again, I know that if I installed Xubuntu from Ubuntu, I could have done this

sudo aptitude remove xubuntu-desktopBut in my case, might this be the correct way:?

sudo apt-get remove abiword abiword-common abiword-plugins anthy gnumeric-common gnumeric-gtk gqview gtk2-engines-xfce gxine hal-cups-utils libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libaiksaurus-1.2-data libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libanthy0 libchewing3 libchewing3-data libexo-0.3-0 libgdome2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a libglib2.0-data libgoffice-0-common libgoffice-gtk-0-3 libgtkmathview0c2a libjpeg-progs libmodplug0c2 libots0 libpcre3 libpulse0 libt1-5 libtagc0 libthunar-vfs-1-2 libwpd-stream8c2a libxfce4mcs-client3 libxfce4mcs-manager3 libxfce4util4 libxfcegui4-4 libxine1 libxvmc1 mousepad mozilla-thunderbird orage python-cups python-exo scim-anthy scim-chewing scim-hangul scim-pinyin system-config-printer thunar thunar-archive-plugin thunar-doc thunar-media-tags-plugin thunar-volman-plugin vim-runtime xarchiver xfburn xfce4-appfinder xfce4-battery-plugin xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin xfce4-dict-plugin xfce4-fsguard-plugin xfce4-icon-theme xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-mcs-manager xfce4-mcs-plugins xfce4-mixer xfce4-mixer-alsa xfce4-mount-plugin xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-panel xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin xfce4-screenshooter-plugin xfce4-session xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin xfce4-taskmanager xfce4-terminal xfce4-utils xfce4-verve-plugin xfce4-weather-plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin xfdesktop4 xfprint4 xfwm4 xfwm4-themes xscreensaver xubuntu-artwork-usplash xubuntu-default-settings xubuntu-desktop xubuntu-docs && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktopIn the line directly above, do I need the stuff at the end...in BOLD?

Source: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

As far as installing e17 on any version of Ubuntu I can only recommend Rui Pais (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=862)'s (easy & right way) guide here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546746&highlight=e17&page=7

As far as removing XFCE I could not say, I am a collector of DE/WM's, I have never met a DE/WM that I didn't like so I have never removed any...

(pause for a short bathroom break)

...but I am interested to find out what you inevitably do and the resulting outcome, so please keep us informed ;)

Stan_1936
October 7th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I'll try removing XFCE on Monday and post the result.

As far as installing e17 on any version of Ubuntu I can only recommend Rui Pais (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=862)'s (easy & right way) guide here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546746&highlight=e17&page=7...

Rui Pais' page has a link to this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=319336

which is what I used. The "compromises" if that's what they are called....seem worth it for me as

1. I wouldn;t mind being as updated as "they" or "it" wishes.
2. I wouldn;t mind being as OUTdated as "they" or "it" wishes.
3. I won't be runing different versions or beta/testing anything.
4. I won;t be compiling a thing.

RAV TUX
October 7th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I'll try removing XFCE on Monday and post the result.

Rui Pais' page has a link to this:

which is what I used. The "compromises" if that's what they are called....seem worth it for me as

1. I wouldn;t mind being as updated as "they" or "it" wishes.
2. I wouldn;t mind being as OUTdated as "they" or "it" wishes.
3. I won't be runing different versions or beta/testing anything.
4. I won;t be compiling a thing.

That guide,
...is very out dated.

Originally posted December 15th, 2006 & last edited on April 24th, 2007

...and reading through the thread, it has many post of people breaking things on their system, my advice is that guide should be closed.

Again my advice for installing e17 in any Ubuntu version is to ONLY follow Rui Pais (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=862)'s guide which was published just 3 Weeks Ago, and he constantly follows ups and gives constant help, if needed. Rui Pais (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=862)'s last post was 1 Day Ago:

HOWTO: installation of E17 from CVS (UPDATED)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546746&highlight=e17&page=7

Bart_D
October 9th, 2007, 02:51 AM
The distro is still the same, I still use Xubuntu, but I can just restart x(ctrl + alt + backspace) and log into any session I desire......allowing you the freedom to log into any DE/WM session that you choose.

You can do the same in Xubuntu (& others), just simply install them.

Can this be done in Fluxbuntu as well? I mean installing different sessions(DEs), like GNOME for example?

RAV TUX
October 9th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Can this be done in Fluxbuntu as well? I mean installing different sessions(DEs), like GNOME for example?
I don't see why not, but remember I started with a Xubuntu base.

ArtF10
October 9th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Just
sudo apt-get install gnome from a fluxbox terminal makes sense although I'd wait for more experienced users.

What I think RAV TUX is saying is

sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

should be done first and then from an XFCE terminal install Gnome?
Why wouldn't it just work from the Fluxbox terminal in the same way as it does from the XFCE terminal?

EDIT: On a topic related note, I tried Gnome on Xubuntu, and I don;t know if it;'s just my machine, but it just feels faster. Definitely the menus are more responsive than they were when using Gnome from Ubuntu. Nice thing is that the ENTIRE OO suite was not installed, just the Word processor and I think the Spreadsheet so that helped marginally.

Gremlinzzz
October 9th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Love Xubuntu upgraded the kernel newest flashplayer put the players and programs i like and its solid as a system can be.
http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotpv2.jpg

nikoPSK
November 28th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Although xubuntu is a nice lightweight OS used to save my pc (and hopefully many others, I had a virus), I seem yo prefer OSX's new ICandi (LOL) and features, agreed that this could sometimes (hopefully soon) become linux's kindof standard.

crimesaucer
November 28th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I've never tried OS X so I can't really vote on this, but I do love xfce4.

I used xubuntu for a year, and moved to Archlinux with xfce4. I mostly use Compiz Fusion as my window manager.

I did try Gnome for about a month, and I liked some things about it, but I felt that xfce4 is faster and has a better feel to it as an OS. Gnome does looks a bit better, and I did like the system sounds and the gnome panel is better than xfce4 panel.

I wish that there was a Desktop Environment that was fast and light like xfce4, but still had some of the features like the Gnome panel and gnome system sounds.

samwyse
November 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM
http://lunapark6.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/xfce-07-SettingsManager.jpg

Workspaces, I presume. I haven't got xfce installed right now.

The system entry adds all the installed crap automatically to the menu. I think it's better to disable it, make your own menu entries and drag the apps you want in the menus from xfce4-appfinder. It takes an extra effort, but you'll get a less cluttered menu.

LaneLester
December 2nd, 2007, 12:43 AM
The system entry adds all the installed crap automatically to the menu. I think it's better to disable it, make your own menu entries and drag the apps you want in the menus from xfce4-appfinder. It takes an extra effort, but you'll get a less cluttered menu.
How do you disable the automatic menu build?

I'm thinking of trying xfce4 in my Kubuntu system, since I used it with satisfaction a long time ago.

Other that installing xfce4 with synaptic (which I like a lot better than adept), do you recommend anything else before logging into xfce4?

Lane

LaneLester
December 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
I got impatient and went ahead and installed xfce4 in Kubuntu. I liked it enough that, when Xubuntu Hardy Alpha 1 was just announced, I installed it on a spare partition.

Both systems had the automatic menu, which is not simple to edit with the menu editor. I found in another thread the following steps to get everything together where you can edit it:

How to edit the auto generated menu with the menu editor?

cp ~/.cache/xfce4/desktop/menu-cache-name-of-the-generated-file.xml ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu2.xml
cd ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/
cat menu.xml > menu3.xml
cat menu2.xml >> menu3.xml
mv menu.xml menu.orig.xml
mv menu3.xml menu.xml

Now, you already have a menu with all the categories in the main tree with some duplicates, but you must first edit menu.xml with your favorite editor and remove the 4 following lines in the middle of the file, otherwise the menu editor will complain about a wrong format:

</xfdesktop-menu>
<?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;UTF-8&quot;?>
<!DOCTYPE xfdesktop-menu>

<xfdesktop-menu>

That’s all. Now you can run the menu editor, remove the few duplicates and edit all as you like.

Settings &gt; Desktop &gt; Menu &gt; Menu Editor

Notes: by removing the “system” line, you will remove all the duplicates menu entries from the auto generated file. So, if it is changed in this auto generated file, they don’t appear anymore, but you will get rid of most of the duplicates.

To restore the original menu, just do in a terminal:

mv menu.xml menu3.xml; mv menu.orig.xml menu.xml

seanc7
December 10th, 2007, 05:10 AM
I selected Other. Never used OSX, aside from trying it on a Mac in the stores for a few minutes, so I can't give a real comparison.

pieisgood4589
March 28th, 2008, 10:03 PM

What are you talking about? Puppy is entirely build from scratch. Don't deprive people of their hard work :(

LaneLester
April 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I've been using Xubuntu with mostly satisfaction, using XFCE. I agree that the menu editor is crummy, but for just one reason: the use of the cryptic "system" menu, instead of a straightforward one. That seems to make it impossible to add programs to the subfolders.

It's possible to convert the menu to a sensible one, but why should we have to bother!

Lane

Tazix
April 26th, 2008, 04:19 AM
I'm a heavy user of Xubuntu, but I'm sorry, for the average user, OS X is far superior over any Linux Distro.

I mean for us folks that like getting into the meat of Operating Systems, any Desktop friendly Linux Distro is pretty good, but working with Leopard on my iMac is a sheer pleasure (even for OS enthusiasts that get into the terminal window and muck about), and when most people ask me to recommend a new machine (Usually expecting a response like Dell or HP with Windows)... I point them towards Macs, because most people are computer illiterate.

LaneLester
April 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I'm a heavy user of Xubuntu, but I'm sorry, for the average user, OS X is far superior over any Linux Distro.

I've never used a Mac, but I understand what you mean. I, too, put a lot of mileage on Xubuntu, been using Hardy for months. I finally got tired of maintaining my wife's Win XP and moved her to Kubuntu. She's been mostly satisfied with it, although she had to dual boot to run Kyodai.

Then I bought her a new laptop, and in spite of a ton of fiddling, was unable to get the builtin wireless working. So she's running Vista, and as much as it kills me to admit it, it's very nice and runs everything she wants to run: Firefox, OpenOffice, GnuCash, and Kyodai!

Lane