PDA

View Full Version : conformity of threads

vishzilla
October 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
i find most of the threads stray away from a topic. do you find it annoying or jus like to go with the flow?

GSF1200S
October 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
i find most of the threads stray away from a topic. do you find it annoying or jus like to go with the flow?

I go with the flow IF it helps to explain the topic. Not everything in life is simple, and so a topic often branches into other topics, often times its as a result of this. I dont find it annoying, but that may be because im the same way when I discuss something.

Im going to laugh if this topic ends up discussing human philosophy :)

vishzilla
October 5th, 2007, 12:45 PM
very true, i too love going with the flow. a mere simple doubt can give a lot of answers or raise further questions. one of many wonders of forums which i love

GSF1200S
October 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
very true, i too love going with the flow. a mere simple doubt can give a lot of answers or raise further questions. one of many wonders of forums which i love

Not to get off topic ( :) ), but forums add a bit of global perspective as well. For example, you are from India, and im from the US. Seeing things only in a local mindset deprives us of a broad spectrum of ideals. This is where forums can be very useful, and (going back on topic) is likely WHY many forum threads seem to change topic so often...

vishzilla
October 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Not to get off topic ( :) ), but forums add a bit of global perspective as well. For example, you are from India, and im from the US. Seeing things only in a local mindset deprives us of a broad spectrum of ideals. This is where forums can be very useful, and (going back on topic) is likely WHY many forum threads seem to change topic so often...

hopefully down the road, let's see how this thread turns up

Tux Aubrey
October 5th, 2007, 01:14 PM
How's the cricket going, vishzilla? :)

vishzilla
October 5th, 2007, 01:18 PM
How's the cricket going, vishzilla? :)
hmmm, i am not that into cricket. anyway, aussies can beat india handily anytime :)

LaRoza
October 5th, 2007, 01:36 PM

If it is a natural course of the conversation, I will take part. Sometimes in the Programming Talk, threads get way off topic, but if you read them start to finish, there is not obvious break from the OP's query.

popch
October 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Im going to laugh if this topic ends up discussing human philosophy :)

Why would you find that so funny? I think the question of the OP already philosophical.

Oh, and I don't mind some drift in a thread. In most cases, it comes quite naturally and can even be understood to be some kind of learning. In some cases, anyway.

Of course, there appear to be some semantic attractors which - once mentioned - will never leave a thread again until all traces of the original topic or intent are completely lost. There might even be pairs or groups of attractors between which threads oscillate. Has this been ever properly studied?

fuscia
October 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Go Patriots!!!