Internet Explorer

http://www.webdevout.net/ie-myths

Firefox

http://www.webdevout.net/firefox-myths

Opera

http://www.webdevout.net/opera-myths

rockstar9wannabe
October 5th, 2007, 04:35 PM
"Although Opera tends to have the fastest startup speed on Windows, it is known to take an unusually long time to launch under certain not uncommon Linux/Unix configurations. In these conditions, it has been observed as notably slower than Firefox, Konqueror, and Internet Explorer in Wine."

Great information, though I think it really depends. Opera seems to be the fastest on my system (Ubuntu Feisty), with the exception of Dillio/Lynx.

LaRoza
October 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM
No matter what you use, IE * is the worst.

Microsoft deliberately goes against the standards

I believe this is true in many cases when MS has reason to believe a technology they developed would become widespread enough to lock out other browsers.

JAPrufrock
October 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Interesting read. Thanks nowshining.

Sp4cedOut
October 5th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I believe this is true in many cases when MS has reason to believe a technology they developed would become widespread enough to lock out other browsers.

That's motive, not evidence.

popch
October 5th, 2007, 06:10 PM
That's motive, not evidence.

There's evidence, too.

However, the so called browser war was in actual fact a web server war. All sides gave away their browsers for free.

Microsoft used a non-standard version of HTML (and, presumably, HTTP) in their browsers in order to generate demand for their own web servers. Netscape did the same.

Microsoft won. The consumer and the industry lost. Since the browsers are given away for free, and the consumers lost, the browsers were paid for at least twice by the consumers.

Mr_JMM
October 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Mmmmmmm.

Not exactly an exhaustive list is it?

As a web developer I have a great experience of bugs in all the browsers. None of them are perfect; All of them have little 'quirks' which makes the life of a web designer very difficult (although it does mean we get to charge lots and lots of money ;-) ). I'm not going to list them all though.

When I start a design (I'm going to make a point of saying that I work in code) I tend to check everything in Firefox (now I need to worry about Linux users requiring slight modifications but I still refuse to worry about IE5, IE5.5, more recently IE6 and Mac users). 9 times out of 10 they work ok in IE, Opera, Netscape.

Firefox is my browser of choice in general because of it's features and security.

IE does do things it's own way but that's a Micr$oft thing. I see people complaining about that but in my experience so does everyone ("If you want a Windows based system then Ubuntu isn't for you" etc.)!! Who doesn't? Take a look at what your using now!?!?

I am NOT going to say IE is the worst. I don't actually agree with that as a generalised comment. I actually quite like IE7, just prefer Firefox.

Well that's my penny's worth and I'm going to stop here and see what responses this get.

\\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/

PS. Just remembered the exact moment I stopped using IE. My company website has a page where I say something about how people should always ensure their browsers are up to date. I got the official images from Mozilla, Opera, Netscape and wanted one for IE. The first three were nice and easy. They have a page dedicated to spreading the word, you just cut and paste the code they provide or you have the option of taking the images directly. Micro$oft on the otherhand...

F'ing Micro$oft....

I had to e-mail them as stated on their website. I received a reply with HTML I had to put into the web page and a 5 page lsit of requirements of what I can and can't do with their logo. One of them was that it must be "at a distance of no less than 1/3 the width and 1/3 the length apart" from other logo's. Well they can s*** my c***. Anyone that tells me what i can and can't do when I have provided free advertising can f*** right off!

nowshining
October 7th, 2007, 08:52 AM
yeah found that site on clusty.com a search engine and a bit better than google and easier to navigate better and find what ur looking for with the clusters on the left side ;). Yeah I agree with most of it also however some I don't.

Cannaregio
October 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Interesting thread.
Dunnow why anyone in his right mind would use Microsoft explorer. Still many do, poor things.

I found Opera's right click "block content" feature (as everything else in Opera, it's there out of the box) as a killer argument when convincing zombies to switchaway from MSIE (both in windows and GNU/Linux environments).

In my experience, firefox can be almost as good as opera -if you tweak it like a madman- but it still lacks opera's amazing speed.

Without opera, browsing the web takes forever.

popch
October 7th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Dunnow why anyone in his right mind would use Microsoft explorer. Still many do, poor things.

Some of us must do so because the content we absolutely have to use is not accessible using a 'real' browser.

Mr_JMM
October 10th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Ok. regarding the Myths website, I've found a comment that just goes to show why you shouldn't listen to people like this.

It is in the best interest of all Internet users to stop using Internet Explorer as soon as possible!

Yes well, another well thought out comment. Need I say more or do i need to explain it in nice simple single syllable words?

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

homeskillit
October 10th, 2007, 02:09 AM
What happens when your trying to access lets say a Netgear Config page and Opera and Firefox won't open them? It happened to me and I had to boot my virtual XP and use IE to access it.

Although I think it had to do more with Linux than the browser.