PDA

View Full Version : Tips for success - Survey

nickburns
October 5th, 2007, 04:29 AM
I gave a computer to my wife's grandparents a couple years ago. They are not super users at all, just email, word docs and internet. The computer has windows XP and the usual office products. Unfortunately every 6 months or so I get the call of death stating that they have viruses, malware and other infections.

So I clean off the viruses and sometime reload when it is too bad. Then put it back and cross my fingers, hoping that it will be ok.

Either way, I got the phone call again this week. The computer has hundreds of viruses and malware, even though they have Norton antivirus and malware protection.

So my questions are:

Do you think that a pair of 60+ year olds can use Ubuntu?

What things can I do to help them become good Ubuntu users?

What programs should I remove?

What programs would you recommend, other than the default installation?

Any other advise?

aysiu
October 5th, 2007, 04:40 AM
How about setting up XP so that they use a limited user (not power user or administrator) account?

If they're open to Ubuntu, go for it. Otherwise, there are ways to secure XP.

blockcipher
October 5th, 2007, 04:42 AM
I would give it a shot! If they for some reason cannot use it...move em back with a limited account like the other poster suggested. Won't hurt!

distroman
October 5th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Is the problem with xp home not that it only offers two types of accounts, administrator and a very limited user account? So you would need pro for any real usefulness?

How about giving them a duel boot option?

nickburns
October 5th, 2007, 05:06 AM
They have XP pro, because that is the license that I had to give.

I though of giving them Ubuntu with a vmware instance of XP that does not have the network settings turned on. Then they can still use windows if they have to. This could help them ease into Ubuntu.

distroman
October 5th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Then I would go for a limited account.

nickburns
October 5th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Anyone else have more ideas / thoughts?

rax_m
October 5th, 2007, 02:14 PM
If you setup and Ubuntu box correctly for their purposes :

Internet - flash player, etc
Email - so that they can access it (Thunderbird or Evolution)
OOo - Is their a way to default the OOo saves files in MS format ??

*Edit* OOo can be setup to always save a doc in MS format.

Then place all of the shortcuts on their desktop and setup the gui so that it is a bit Windows like... then it shouldn't be a problem as long as they stick to those tasks. If you really have to you could even change some of the icons to look like the windows equiv.

Might be a bit of work initially, but wouldn't you have to do half of it re-installing windows anyway?

My 2c.

popch
October 5th, 2007, 02:15 PM
It does not have anything to do with age. Besides, there is no marked difference between Windows XP and Ubunuto Linux in terms of learning how to use it.

I had to decide on the same topic a few years ago and decided to install WinXP for my mother-in-law. However, I did it for the sole reason that I did not want to become the sole person able to provide her with technical support. That way, she can call on her nephew and on local shops, if the need arises.

If she lived a bit nearer to our home, and if I could afford the time to spend in supporting her, I would use Linux any time of the day.

anaconda
October 5th, 2007, 02:17 PM
And also remember to install all possible codecs and Flash..

Or even better install Linux Mint (ubuntu with codecs..)

marco123
October 5th, 2007, 03:49 PM
If you setup and Ubuntu box correctly for their purposes :

Internet - flash player, etc
Email - so that they can access it (Thunderbird or Evolution)
OOo - Is their a way to default the OOo saves files in MS format ??

*Edit* OOo can be setup to always save a doc in MS format.

Then place all of the shortcuts on their desktop and setup the gui so that it is a bit Windows like... then it shouldn't be a problem as long as they stick to those tasks. If you really have to you could even change some of the icons to look like the windows equiv.

Might be a bit of work initially, but wouldn't you have to do half of it re-installing windows anyway?

My 2c.

+1.

If their hardware is compatible all you would need to do is set it up properly for them and install everything they need. Once thats been done you wouldn't even need to restart it, let alone re-install!:)

TomMK
October 5th, 2007, 04:28 PM
How about setting up XP so that they use a limited user (not power user or administrator) account?

If they're open to Ubuntu, go for it. Otherwise, there are ways to secure XP.

This works. I did exactly this for my Dad because Ubuntu did not recognise the wlan card. It's a very good way to set up Windows for basic tasks.

Eddie Wilson
October 5th, 2007, 04:35 PM
60 + years old is not too old to learn. You can learn, have fun, be amazed, and be productive. I also believe that Ubuntu can be setup to where its easier to use than MS Windows. Like you said they are not power users so why not give them freedom.
Eddie

diskotek
October 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
they have so much time for theirself, they may also start to command line after copule of months around forums...

so say welcome to seniors...

popch
October 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM
they have so much time for theirself, they may also start to command line after copule of months around forums...

we may see some nicknames like: oldiebutgoldie, granny666

so say welcome to seniors...

Thank you for your warm welcome, BTW. Im just a couple of years shy of your deadline.

nickburns
October 5th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I like the idea of making it look similar to windows, then they will feel more at home. I can get all the codecs and OO on, anything else?

diskotek
October 6th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Thank you for your warm welcome, BTW. Im just a couple of years shy of your deadline.

uhh sorry for thatç ı just want to express myself ın ıronıcally. well i think that they might use ubuntu easier than windows, if they did not get used to use windows.

:KS

jimrz
October 6th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I am one of them and seem to manage to muddle my way through...most of the time ;)

popch
October 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
uhh sorry for that

No reason to feel sorry. I am enjoying myself hugely. When does a thread start on how to accustom youngsters (say under 40) to the difficult world of computing?

nickburns
October 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I didn't mean to start a age war.... perhaps I should have worded my statement better.

Either way I have decided to go with Ubuntu for the grandparents, got it all set up, including the dial up networking. (that was no fun).

I will deliver it tomorrow, and see how it goes.

a

Billy_McBong
October 6th, 2007, 08:25 PM
hope they like Ubuntu :D