PDA

View Full Version : Sun Certified Java Programmer Exam Question

thomasaaron
October 5th, 2007, 03:26 AM
So, I've been tinkering around with some of the free SCJP practice exams online. It seems like they contain a lot of questions that require you to evaluate code and determine the output (or if it will even compile, or if it will throw runtime errors, etc...).

I find it curious that all of the code can be copied into a text editor and compiled/executed to determine the output.

Surely it is not that way on the REAL exam, is it?

I figured that, being a JAVA exam, they would put the code in an applet or something so that it can't be copy/pasted.

Or do they just figure that doing so will create such a time penalty that you'll fail the test if you don't know your stuff?

Also, what portion of the real exam is code evaluation?

Balazs_noob
October 5th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Are you sure you can use a computer while making the test ?? :)

dwhitney67
October 5th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Usually these test are timed (generally 2 minutes per question). The code given is just snippets, thus unless you can type 100 words per minute and really know your sh*t, it is nearly impossible to use your PC while taking the exam.

I've taken similar exams online in C and C++ for employment purposes, and they are no fun. Typically, and ironically, the C++ exam is easier than the one for C.

As far as copying/pasting the questions, sometimes it is possible, other times it is not.

If you are able to take the exam in the privacy of your own home, I recommend that you create a test.java template file with an "empty" public static main method into which you can insert the code snippet as it is presented with each question that is presented to you.

thomasaaron
October 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Well, turns out my question was a bit ignorant.
I just found out that the tests are done in testing centers.

That's a great idea! :(

steve.horsley
October 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM
The testing centres run a test program that is full screen, cannot (not that I've tried hard) be reduced to reveal the OS behind, and has a timer that stops you after the allotted time. There is always a short practice session available first, to get you used to driving the program.