PDA

View Full Version : Network homepage

ev5unleash1
October 5th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Well, I have a network and I think it would be good if the first URL they go to would be a certain page in there browser. I see it in some hotels and hotspots. Is there a way I can do that with my network?

n3tfury
October 5th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Well, I have a network and I think it would be good if the first URL they go to would be a certain page in there browser. I see it in some hotels and hotspots. Is there a way I can do that with my network?

what kind of router do you have? i'm sure you could set this up with a pc that's used as a webserver or a gateway but if you have a late model linksys router, you can flash it with 3rd party firmware that allows you to make a custom page.

derekr44
October 5th, 2007, 08:02 PM
what kind of router do you have? i'm sure you could set this up with a pc that's used as a webserver or a gateway but if you have a late model linksys router, you can flash it with 3rd party firmware that allows you to make a custom page.

Personally, I think setting up a web server is MUCH easier and safer than flashing a router with 3rd party firmware...

rickyjones
October 5th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Personally, I think setting up a web server is MUCH easier and safer than flashing a router with 3rd party firmware...

Yes, setting up another webserver for this is the safest way to go. However you need to direct the clients to go to this PC. The router would have to do this. The easiest and safest way is to purchase a product that already has this built in. I think Linksys makes products for this purpose. You might want to check their website.

Thanks,

-Richard

ev5unleash1
November 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Well, I have a Belkin 54G router. I have a webserver, I just want it to redirect first coming visitors on the network to that server.