PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft - d. King of Spam.

skoal
August 14th, 2005, 04:25 AM
I think 'ole Webster should include that definition in his next Encyclopedia version...

I just did a fresh clean Win2k install on one of my workstation computers. Immediately after installing the network driver (and rebooting), I received all kinds of "Messenger Service" pop up spam. It was like playing space invaders with my mouse as I fired off mouse missle after mouse missle to the "X" buttons in those windows.

I got everything from "Your system might be infected" (really??) to "Visit www.reg32.com to clean/repair your system" (ooh, a clean install requires this??). I really don't know who to blame here: Microsoft or Southwestern Bell Corporation (my DSL provider). How does that occur immediately after a fresh install (with only drivers) behind a firewalled router?

* After several hundred megabii of patch downloads from "Windows Update", it disappeared. Only after a few google searches did I discover that I was not alone. Ahhh, misery loves company. You can read more about it here:

http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

By the way, this does not occur in Internet Explorer. It apparently is a system service vulnerability and enabled by running the "Message" system service (which is "automatic" by default). I like Bill Gates. Seriously. I think he's a fine humanitarian and philanthropist. However, I can see why he's so incensed as of late why all the real talent is being lured away by Google. His company needs help, and fast. I really have no gripes about Microsoft and enjoy their products, but in times like this, I'm glad I have an alternative - such as Ubuntu, BSD, or someone elses computer (so they have to deal with it)...

\\//_

nad
August 14th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Messenger Service has been a security hole from day one. See Shoot the Messenger, www.grc.com .

And if you think Bill G is "a fine humanitarian and philanthropist", why is he personally worth tens of billions of dollars? Microsoft doesn't need help. The Microsoft employee mindset needs to learn to share in every definition of the word.