PDA

View Full Version : Advice for creating a "community".

crhylove
October 5th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I pretty much swore to myself I wasn't going to post on here again, but I'm not one for standing firmly on one opinion when an alternate opinion has been proven to be more correct. I find that type of stance in line with the height of ignorance.

My last topic got closed, after some pretty heated and emotional responses. I was called a troll, and since many rocks were being thrown I suppose I can see why people might have felt that way, though, honestly, that clearly was not my intention. Sorry for any passers by that got clobbered with a rock, just let it be known that I was not throwing any!

I'm posting this from a Live CD. Currently my computer is unusable as I somehow borked the master boot record, and cannot install windows, gutsy, or any other of the 20 or so OSes I have lying around. I'm sure I'll get around to it, but I may just go buy a cheap new PATA drive and start fresh anyway, since this old drive has had some corruption issues (and I currently do not have all 3 of the SATA drives backed up).

I posted a dozen or so bugs in launchpad that, had they been addressed, really would have benefited the end user. They got deleted. Rudely. I'm going to reiterate them here in brief for posterity, because despite the incident having thoroughly pissed me off, I DO want Ubuntu to succeed where other distros have failed to break the M$ hegemony.

1. Easy mp3 ripping. Currently this is far too complicated for the end user. I've had over 20 years experience from the Sinclair to Vista, and had a hard time figuring it out. This should be a basic and easy thing to include. I understand the licensing issues. I understand .ogg may be better on several fronts. I (and my roomie, gf, cousins, brothers) have an mp3 CD player in my car, so.... that is all kind of a moot issue on the practical end. This should work out of box, or be easy to setup out of box. It isn't.

2. Easy video conferencing. As of right now, there is no double click application that starts h.264 and speex with any person on my pidgin list, even if they are also on Ubuntu and in Pidgin. This is also a failing on Windows and Mac (though ichat is impressive), so this is a way to really leap frog the competition. All the code for this is already available under the GPL, so it's hard for me (as an end user, and not a coder) to understand why it hasn't been implemented.

3. Easy video editing and/or YouTube uploading. TVtime is a great application for watching TV, or watching video from a camera or console. However actually manipulating video from a TVcard and uploading it to YouTube is currently impossible. Maybe a lot of people don't have TVcards, and haven't tried it. It's a very useful function and currently it is most definitely impossible. I've tried a dozen apps, and even making screencasts while video was playing in TVtime. All to no avail.

4. Easy multitrack audio recording. This is currently being worked on, and is much closer (AFAIK!) than the other three listed issues. I just have to have patience.

5. Game Console Emulation. On the windows box in the living room (which is covered in mal ware and spy ware because I allow the general public to use it), I have: Gamecube, Playstation 2, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and MAME. On days when I have to baby sit, this changes the world in a positive way beyond imagination. Ultimately though, I'd REALLY like to replace that windows box with a *nix box, and even though all but two of the emulators I use are FOSS, that is a LONG way from happening.

I understand that people work hard on Ubuntu and often for free. I understand that people are passionate about it. I understand that there are literally dozens of OTHER priorities for the majority here ahead of those 5. I understand that Ubuntu and Linux in general have come a LONG way, and are much more usable than they were in 1997.

I'm not trying to **** in anybody's cheerios. I just want to have those five issues somewhere on the to-do list of what I consider to be the greatest operating system currently available, so that that operating system can become even better.

I tried filing bugs on Launchpad. Bugs deleted, rudely. I tried filing bugs here in the forums, and was viciously attacked, called a troll and the thread was closed.

I'm somebody who wants to help, who's EXCITED about Ubuntu. I'm coming back here to say to you guys that if you want to have a distro for humans, start acting like humans online, and have some respect, kindness, and civility. There is NO WAY that any other end user I work with would have put up with this kind of behavior. They'd have deleted Ubuntu, went out and bought a mac, and said bad things about Ubuntu AND Linux probably till the end of their days. For me, I don't have an ego problem, I'm not trolling, I'm not discrediting all the work that has happened so far, and I'm not ******* and moaning about the incredibly rude things I've encountered over the last two weeks with regards to Ubuntu.

I'm standing here (well, sitting), offering to post my bugs AGAIN, hoping you guys really do want a community, and a great distro, and not some vicious mob of elitists scaring off anybody who can't type commands in the console. I'm here trying to help.

In case I haven't put it clearly enough, this is what I DON'T want written in this thread:

1. Code it yourself. My programming knowledge lies somewhere between 10 PRINT "Hello" and making a web page. This is disrespectful, for those of us who don't know C, rude, and pointless. There is NO WAY people like myself are going to miraculously learn C because some jerk on a forum said, "code it yourself". I really have to wonder what is going through somebody's mind when they say something like that.

2. Those aren't priorities, sod off. Granted, Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, Pidgin, Rhythmbox, Totem, The Gimp, Tom Boy Notes, and Sudoku are all probably more important to more people than my issues. That has no bearing on the issue, however, since there are MANY people who probably want all that AND the things I have posted.

3. Go back to Windows, *****. I already prefer Ubuntu to Windows for 80% of the things I use it for. I want Ubuntu to conquer the world, and I'm a person who wants to help make that happen. I really do administer approximately 50 machines, as well, so I can help to make this happen (already have, in fact). There are quite a few people in my Pidgin list who are happily running Ubuntu (Feisty), and haven't had a single issue. Some of them are lifers, because they had very bad experiences with both Windows and Mac.

4. This is the wrong place to post. OK, but until Launchpad becomes less of a maniacal oligarchy of rudeness, where are regular humans who want to use Ubuntu supposed to post? How about somebody with more clout than me posting those bugs in the wish list FOR me, since my bugs just get rudely deleted anyway.

Now, for anybody else with something constructive to say, or something that might actually help sort any of this out, that don't want to be rude, disrespectful, petty, or mean:

Please feel free to post in this thread and contribute to the COMMUNITY.

rhY

rybu
October 5th, 2007, 01:08 AM
What you list aren't bugs, they're feature requests. So they're not appropriate for launchpad. Probably the most appropriate place for your list would be in the idea pool.

Craigus
October 5th, 2007, 01:25 AM
If you do want to recover that HD, you could get UBCD

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It includes manufacturers' hard disk tools. You should be able to do a "low level" format and completely zero the drive.

Buffalo Soldier
October 5th, 2007, 01:46 AM
1. Easy mp3 ripping. Currently this is far too complicated for the end user. I've had over 20 years experience from the Sinclair to Vista, and had a hard time figuring it out. This should be a basic and easy thing to include. I understand the licensing issues. I understand .ogg may be better on several fronts. I (and my roomie, gf, cousins, brothers) have an mp3 CD player in my car, so.... that is all kind of a moot issue on the practical end. This should work out of box, or be easy to setup out of box. It isn't.

Step 1: Applications -> Add Remove -> Ubuntu Restricted Extra
Step 2: Pop in audio CD and wait for Sound Juicer to run
Step 3: Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Output format (MP3 Audio)

The only thing Windows got going for it is because it got MP3 codec by default.

Screenshots attached.

Paul820
October 5th, 2007, 01:53 AM
You have to understand that the devs are under a lot of pressure to get gutsy finished in time for the release. If your bug reports, or requests, are not that important for the devs at that time then you have to accept it. They understand what is important and what isn't, they know, otherwise they wouldn't be there. So cut them some slack and let them get on with their work. You can always post your ideas or feauture requests somewhere else. rybu suggested the idea pool, post them there.

autocrosser
October 5th, 2007, 02:14 AM
The other thing you can add into your thoughts: Devs are a bunch of guys/gals that happen to know code & thought--"it much be easier to do XYZ than that----and another app is born.

I would propose that you create a poll about the ideas you have (one poll per idea)---allow the polls to run for a period of time & then post to the Idea thread the results & ask if anyone is interested in taking on the project.

A friend once said that trying to force a direction in Linux is quite a bit like trying to herd cats---You can get a GENERAL direction, but the details will differ:)

(OK--now everyone knows the reason? behind my avatar:))

justin whitaker
October 5th, 2007, 02:14 AM
I pretty much swore to myself I wasn't going to post on here again, but I'm not one for standing firmly on one opinion when an alternate opinion has been proven to be more correct. I find that type of stance in line with the height of ignorance.

My last topic got closed, after some pretty heated and emotional responses. I was called a troll, and since many rocks were being thrown I suppose I can see why people might have felt that way, though, honestly, that clearly was not my intention. Sorry for any passers by that got clobbered with a rock, just let it be known that I was not throwing any!

Admins only close things for:

1. stuff that does not comply with the code of conduct
2. stuff that has been covered 10000000000000x.
3. reasons of their own (don't like the tone of the thread, don't like the sandwich they ate, etc.)

So my guess is you fell afoul of one of those.

I'm posting this from a Live CD. Currently my computer is unusable as I somehow borked the master boot record, and cannot install windows, gutsy, or any other of the 20 or so OSes I have lying around. I'm sure I'll get around to it, but I may just go buy a cheap new PATA drive and start fresh anyway, since this old drive has had some corruption issues (and I currently do not have all 3 of the SATA drives backed up).

You should be able to install Ubuntu from the Live CD. It will overwrite the MBR. If not, get yourself a copy of Ulitmate Boot CD and nuke the drive, overwriting all the contents, even the MBR with 0s.

I posted a dozen or so bugs in launchpad that, had they been addressed, really would have benefited the end user. They got deleted. Rudely. I'm going to reiterate them here in brief for posterity, because despite the incident having thoroughly pissed me off, I DO want Ubuntu to succeed where other distros have failed to break the M$ hegemony.

Wow. IBTTL?

Sorry man. No can do.

The question of whether you can actually ship the MP3 codec is up for debate. Slackware does, reasoning that it falls under the individual use license...but really, that's a legal grey area, and frankly, noone is coming after Slackware because there is no money there. Ubuntu, however, is backed by Canonical, and they do have money....so let's not redistribute proprietary codecs in regions where it is not legal to do so and get the lawyers involved. You certainly cannot ship LAME, or any other transcoder by default in the US. Ask Microsoft.

You can download restricted-extras from the main repo if it is really such a big deal to you, and then you have the legal liability.

2. Easy video conferencing. As of right now, there is no double click application that starts h.264 and speex with any person on my pidgin list, even if they are also on Ubuntu and in Pidgin. This is also a failing on Windows and Mac (though ichat is impressive), so this is a way to really leap frog the competition. All the code for this is already available under the GPL, so it's hard for me (as an end user, and not a coder) to understand why it hasn't been implemented.

Go for it. Sounds like a great idea.

3. Easy video editing and/or YouTube uploading. TVtime is a great application for watching TV, or watching video from a camera or console. However actually manipulating video from a TVcard and uploading it to YouTube is currently impossible. Maybe a lot of people don't have TVcards, and haven't tried it. It's a very useful function and currently it is most definitely impossible. I've tried a dozen apps, and even making screencasts while video was playing in TVtime. All to no avail.

I don't have a TV card, but you can edit video via one of the 100 or so options: LIVES, Kino, etc. Frankly, most people do not have TV Cards, and this is probably one area where someone did their best but there is a piece of documentation missing that would allow them to use that functionality of the chip. Ask the card's manufacturer.

4. Easy multitrack audio recording. This is currently being worked on, and is much closer (AFAIK!) than the other three listed issues. I just have to have patience.

Check UbuntuStudio. Ubuntu is ready for the recording, mixing, and whatever else you have in mind. Seems to me you could do a little research on your options before posting that point.

5. Game Console Emulation. On the windows box in the living room (which is covered in mal ware and spy ware because I allow the general public to use it), I have: Gamecube, Playstation 2, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and MAME. On days when I have to baby sit, this changes the world in a positive way beyond imagination. Ultimately though, I'd REALLY like to replace that windows box with a *nix box, and even though all but two of the emulators I use are FOSS, that is a LONG way from happening.

You can build your own. Most of them are in the repos, although the ROMS are not, for obvious IP reasons. Build a server install, and add every emulator you want.

I understand that people work hard on Ubuntu and often for free. I understand that people are passionate about it. I understand that there are literally dozens of OTHER priorities for the majority here ahead of those 5. I understand that Ubuntu and Linux in general have come a LONG way, and are much more usable than they were in 1997.

All true. That doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. Simply throwing up your hands does not equal help.

I'm not trying to **** in anybody's cheerios. I just want to have those five issues somewhere on the to-do list of what I consider to be the greatest operating system currently available, so that that operating system can become even better.

Let's see....the only things in your list that are not already available are support for that one function for your TV card, and easy video conferencing. All the rest are already available.

Frankly, the rest of them should not ever be part of the standard Ubuntu distribution, because they can be added on a case by case basis via apt, add/remove, or synaptic.

I'm somebody who wants to help, who's EXCITED about Ubuntu. I'm coming back here to say to you guys that if you want to have a distro for humans, start acting like humans online, and have some respect, kindness, and civility. There is NO WAY that any other end user I work with would have put up with this kind of behavior. They'd have deleted Ubuntu, went out and bought a mac, and said bad things about Ubuntu AND Linux probably till the end of their days. For me, I don't have an ego problem, I'm not trolling, I'm not discrediting all the work that has happened so far, and I'm not ******* and moaning about the incredibly rude things I've encountered over the last two weeks with regards to Ubuntu.

This is the friendliest community there is. Take a look at it from the admin's perspective. You throw some bombs, act indignant, and then try to act innocent. Take a look at your language above: is it more conciliatory, or combative? A little interpersonal skills would go a long way towards preventing the thread lock.

I'm standing here (well, sitting), offering to post my bugs AGAIN, hoping you guys really do want a community, and a great distro, and not some vicious mob of elitists scaring off anybody who can't type commands in the console. I'm here trying to help.

Calling users and admins here vicious is not a way to influence people. See the aforementioned interpersonal skills.

1. Code it yourself. My programming knowledge lies somewhere between 10 PRINT "Hello" and making a web page. This is disrespectful, for those of us who don't know C, rude, and pointless. There is NO WAY people like myself are going to miraculously learn C because some jerk on a forum said, "code it yourself". I really have to wonder what is going through somebody's mind when they say something like that.

As noted above, this is all done for you for free. You are charged nothing at the gate, and there is no option to buy. So if you can't code, and all you can do is complain about something, then you have 2 options:

1. Learn to code.
2. Pay a bounty to a coder to get it done.

2. Those aren't priorities, sod off. Granted, Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, Pidgin, Rhythmbox, Totem, The Gimp, Tom Boy Notes, and Sudoku are all probably more important to more people than my issues. That has no bearing on the issue, however, since there are MANY people who probably want all that AND the things I have posted.

You understand the difference between a distribution and the applications it uses, right? None of those things you mention are actually coded by Ubuntu: the only thing Ubuntu does is provide the secret sauce so that it all works together. Your issue is with the applications programmers, not the crew here.

3. Go back to Windows, *****. I already prefer Ubuntu to Windows for 80% of the things I use it for. I want Ubuntu to conquer the world, and I'm a person who wants to help make that happen. I really do administer approximately 50 machines, as well, so I can help to make this happen (already have, in fact). There are quite a few people in my Pidgin list who are happily running Ubuntu (Feisty), and haven't had a single issue. Some of them are lifers, because they had very bad experiences with both Windows and Mac.

Well, lifers means since 2004...but anyway. Yeah, I hate that there are some people that can't stand complaints and pull the "go back to windows" card. You know what, there are bad apples everywhere, and those types give Linux users a bad name. Don't become one of them.

4. This is the wrong place to post. OK, but until Launchpad becomes less of a maniacal oligarchy of rudeness, where are regular humans who want to use Ubuntu supposed to post? How about somebody with more clout than me posting those bugs in the wish list FOR me, since my bugs just get rudely deleted anyway.

Launchpad is a business tool. It is designed for bugs, and when asked for, feature requests. It is not a place to vent, post your feelings, opinions, or desires for anything other than what the developers are able to deliver. So it's no surprise that your posts got axed. 90% of the time, the folks there are helpful if you have a legitimate issue to report.

Sorry you have had a rough time of it, but you need to see the other side as well. Without empathy and understanding, there is no communication.

Hobbsee
October 5th, 2007, 10:48 AM
hahahahahahaha....

Just a few notes:

1. I didn't delete all of your bugs. I marked a few of them, the pointless ones, invalid. That's not deleted. It appears that something else deleted the rest.

2. The list of stuff you want done can go on the end of the todo list. Seeing as that's a few million items long, don't expect it to be done very quickly. So, you've got your point across. Now wait.

3. Thanks for giving me and a lot of others a good laugh with your bug report about me being a jerk. At this point, i'll note that they were all laughing, and calling *you* a jerk, among other things.

4. Glad to see you've dropped your sense of entitlement - it's really much better reading without it.

5. Unsure as to how you have the right to tell an already existing community how to create itself, without being an established community member.

6. I agree with all that the previous poster has said.

What's IBTTL?

I can provide the bugs, and the previous forum request, on request. Then will you be claiming that you're so injustly treated, when everyone else reads them? Somehow, i suspect not.

Hobbsee

_oOMOo_
October 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I can provide the bugs, and the previous forum request, on request. Then will you be claiming that you're so injustly treated, when everyone else reads them? Somehow, i suspect not.

Hobbsee

ooo go on :) /wooden spoon

GSF1200S
October 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM
We all mess up man. I have for sure. Bottom line.. this is an awesome community.

Go take a look at the mepis or even the PCLOS forums. Now, they are awesome too- anywhere where people help other people for no profit and instead for something they believe is an awesome community. But still, they are nowhere near as active, and I wouldnt say they are as inviting as the forums here.

Honestly, I prefer KDE. I think I honestly might like Arch more, but I use a hybrid of KDE and the buntu kernel just BECAUSE of this community. It works very well and therefore I stick with it.

If you like Gnome, I simply see no competition for both the OS or the community.

Take the advice of the developer above and the post above that, recognizing that they ultimately are explaining what it takes TO GET CHANGES MADE, regaurdless if its wrong or right in any of our eyes. Anything of this magnitude has to have a structure to support and build it.

Tomosaur
October 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM
It would help if your issues were actually bugs, which they are not.

What you should have done is added them to the wish-list and somebody may eventually get around to doing it (after the critical show stopper bugs are fixed of course), OR you can bite the bullet and pay someone to do it right now rather than complaining about how someone hasn't already done what you want to be done, for free. The only rudeness I have ever really seen on Launchpad is the sense of entitlement from users like you. Here's the thing - the thousands and thousands of developers who give their free time to create software for Linux in general and/or Ubuntu specifically, generally do so because whatever they're working on will serve some use to them as Linux users. If they have no need for video conferencing or 'out of the box' support for mp3 ripping, then it just won't get done. That is the difference between Linux and Windows. It is not user driven, as in 'the needs of the users come first', it is developer driven, because stuff gets developed when someone capable of developing it decides they need it.

The way to get your ideas worked on is not to gripe and moan, it's to come up with some plans for it - specifications and whatnot, then put it on a wish-list, and maybe even pay a bounty to a developer to get the ball rolling.

Don't take this is a rant - I'm just trying to describe why missing features are not bugs. They are just things no developers really care about. Your job is to make them care, or become a developer yourself and start the project off.

n3tfury
October 5th, 2007, 12:17 PM
What you list aren't bugs, they're feature requests. So they're not appropriate for launchpad. Probably the most appropriate place for your list would be in the idea pool.

ding ding. thread can be closed now.

*edit* LOL - who's the mod who added the thread rating. ridiculous.

Hobbsee
October 5th, 2007, 12:28 PM
ooo go on :) /wooden spoon

As you wish...

http://tinyurl.com/yqacvh

(the ones filed under Ubuntu)

I've marked the jerk one as private, so it doesn't get cached by google, etc. The others should show the OP's behavior well enough.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=563922 was the original forums thread.

matthew
October 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Sorry to be a spoil sport...I think the OP has been appropriately spanked now. :) I'm closing the thread.