PDA

View Full Version : Is Gutsy really ready for release so soon?

Mazza558
October 4th, 2007, 10:40 PM
From what I've seen, there are still a few major bugs in Gusty, though I'm pretty impressed by what HAS happened. The thing that worries me is that I was able to use Feisty with no crashes and no obvious bugs on both of my PCs from about 2 months before it was released, compared with Gusty approximately 2 weeks away and having several monumental bugs on both of my installs:

-OOo crashes when attempting to do... anything

-Restricted drivers are incredibly unpredictable (bcm43xx, I'm looking at you), and often don't function

-The keyring manager conflicting with nm-applet and refusing the correct keyring.

Luckily, these bugs have already been filed on the Launchpad, but will there be enough time to fix them?

It seems with me that the Autumn releases are always inferior in terms of compatibility to the spring releases :(

I know it's still beta software, but even so, Feisty was solid as a rock for me, even before beta stage. I guess it's due to the amount of new features coming in to Gusty compared to more on the bugfix side for Feisty.

insane_alien
October 4th, 2007, 10:44 PM
yeah this is pretty much par for the course. if it isn't ready by the proposed release date then it won't be released. though it should be ready by then.

ArtF10
October 4th, 2007, 10:49 PM
You know, I've read far too many of these types of threads questionging Gutsy. I was planning to wipe the HD(with a stable Fiesty install...CF and all working fine) this weekend and install something (distro) small with the intention of moving to Gutsy by the middle of the month but I can;t see that happeing now. I will most likely have to do a multipkle boot...can;t lost Fiesty BEFORE Gutsy (official ) reveals all its flaws.

Paul820
October 4th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Updates are coming in thick and fast though, i've had three sets today. One was about 60, another 45, and the last was 33 updates. So they are working really hard on it. I think everything will be fine.

Mazza558
October 4th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Updates are coming in thick and fast though, i've had three sets today. One was about 60, another 45, and the last was 33 updates. So they are working really hard on it. I think everything will be fine.

I agree with that, the rate of updates is the fastest I've seen yet from any prerelease build.

-grubby
October 4th, 2007, 11:48 PM
well there is crap load of updates. and I'm running the beta and it's fine

ArtF10
October 5th, 2007, 12:40 AM
ok, one question....

say I install the beta NOW!!!! and update everyday. When the official release comes out, if I update, will it upgrade the version from the beta version to the official release or will I have to download another ISO and install inorder to get the official release?

stmiller
October 5th, 2007, 01:08 AM
ok, one question....

say I install the beta NOW!!!! and update everyday. When the official release comes out, if I update, will it upgrade the version from the beta version to the official release [snip]

Yes. :)

ArtF10
October 5th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Alright then, Saturday morning it is....after F1 Qualifying ends.

Nullack
October 5th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Just report new bugs and confirm new bugs that you are also getting.

Software development always has bugs and given the number of lines of code in the Ubuntu distro its a wonder it does not have far more actually.

Dont sweat it. Support the process and it will be fixed.

23meg
October 5th, 2007, 08:00 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeBasedReleases

Perfect Storm
October 5th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Same old discussion everytime a new Ubuntu release is closing in. :popcorn:

RAV TUX
October 8th, 2007, 04:13 AM
From what I've seen, there are still a few major bugs in Gusty, though I'm pretty impressed by what HAS happened. The thing that worries me is that I was able to use Feisty with no crashes and no obvious bugs on both of my PCs from about 2 months before it was released, compared with Gusty approximately 2 weeks away and having several monumental bugs on both of my installs:

-OOo crashes when attempting to do... anything

-Restricted drivers are incredibly unpredictable (bcm43xx, I'm looking at you), and often don't function

-The keyring manager conflicting with nm-applet and refusing the correct keyring.

Luckily, these bugs have already been filed on the Launchpad, but will there be enough time to fix them?

It seems with me that the Autumn releases are always inferior in terms of compatibility to the spring releases :(

I know it's still beta software, but even so, Feisty was solid as a rock for me, even before beta stage. I guess it's due to the amount of new features coming in to Gusty compared to more on the bugfix side for Feisty.Gutsy is Extraordinary!!!

To answer your first objection, OO.o is the first program I remove from any distro, I prefer Koffice, other then that Gutsy for me is pretty bug free and awesome!