PDA

View Full Version : aTi and Nvidia

screaminj3sus
October 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I've always found and heard nvidia card work way better wth linux than aTi's especially with compiz. I've never gotten compiz running right on my other two pc's (x300) and the drviers were a pain. I was very surprised when I booted the gutsy beta and Out of the box on the live cd the screen resolution was perfect, and compiz fusion was running by default! It was running just as fast if not faster than on my 7600GS and this is a crappy x300. With my nvidia card I have to use nvidia-settings to change my screen resolution (Nothing else works right including gtkdisplay-config) and compiz actually seems to run a bit slower buggier on it. Is aTi the way to go for linux now?

These two pc's have similar specs besides the graphics card. Mine is in my sig and this one has a p4 630, 1gb ram, an aTi x300 and a 19' LCD, mine also has a 19' LCD (Wide screen Though)

-grubby
October 5th, 2007, 12:01 AM
really? I've heard ATI cards are horrible on Linux because ATI releases HORRIBLE drivers on Linux. My NVIDIA card works just fine with 3D and all.but that's just what I've HEARD! not experienced!