PDA

View Full Version : Which GUI toolit would you recommend for a newbie?

p.i.m.p
October 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I'm new to programming and would like to develop simple gui applications in c++.. which toolkit would you guys recommend? which is the simpler to use and has the least learning curve?

LaRoza
October 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I would start with Python for GUI programming. For Python, EasyGUI is the easiest, also wxPython (port of wxWidgets), and Tkinter (Tk). The Python ports are similar to the C++ API so that you can use the knowledge of them. I do not do much GUI programming, but wxPython is quite easy, but powerful. EasyGUI is a simple way of using a gui for an app, but is limited.

wxWidgets, then.

p.i.m.p
October 4th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Hi,

I'm learning Java and C++ so I have my hands full currently.. Python sounds interesting - I'll give it a shot during Winter break.. Is there any way I can draw a "gui" with wxwidgets like in Visual Studio?

yage
October 4th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Hi,

I'm learning Java and C++ so I have my hands full currently.. Python sounds interesting - I'll give it a shot during Winter break.. Is there any way I can draw a "gui" with wxwidgets like in Visual Studio?

Don't know about wxwighets but GTK has GLADE for that job...

ryno519
October 4th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I prefer gtkmm. Makes very good use of standard C++ libraries and coding styles and you can use glade to create the guis if you like. It's all nice and easy.

p.i.m.p
October 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Thank you for your replies

Acglaphotis
October 4th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I would recommend Glade + python + gladex.

ps: Cool username.

p.i.m.p
October 4th, 2007, 08:18 PM
hahahaha thanks

Blue Sky
October 4th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I recommend QT if you're going to be doing C++, GTK for C#.

Glade is awful, stay away from it.

Acglaphotis
October 4th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I recommend QT if you're going to be doing C++, GTK for C#.

Elaborate, please? I've been using Glade lately and i don't see anything worth labeling as 'awful'

Wybiral
October 5th, 2007, 12:15 AM
PyGTK is pretty simple. GTK with C is pretty easy too, I just can't stand the glib OOP style. I've tried wx and Tk (in Python) as well but I don't think they're that much easier than GTK.

Fbot1
October 5th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Qt, theres a lot more stuff for it.

pmasiar
October 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM

To OP: if you see "opinions" like this, without any hint of "why", stay away from the opinion :-)

p.i.m.p
October 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM
haha Just one more thing, is code written for gtk cross platform? gtk is available for windows too right?

ryno519
October 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM
haha Just one more thing, is code written for gtk cross platform? gtk is available for windows too right?

Yes, if the Windows user has the Gtk+ Runtime Environment installed.