PDA

View Full Version : the OLPC, adult edition???

jrharvey
October 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
So I'm sure that most of you have heard of the One Laptop Per Child Project since ubuntu is a big player in that. I was really interested in the computer itself because they seem to have features that most high end computers dont have yet such as a swivel monitor (which is really cool) Things like the rechargable battery being charged by you winding it is even cooler. To be honest I dont want to take computers from these kids but I can't help but want one for myself (really bad). I was wondering if they were going to make an adult version of these that arent bright neon colors. I would sooooo buy one if it came with some high end proceccors and a good video card. Actually I would even buy it the way it is now (even with the neon colors). They are just too cool.

Nano Geek
October 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM
So I'm sure that most of you have heard of the One Laptop Per Child Project since ubuntu is a big player in that. I was really interested in the computer itself because they seem to have features that most high end computers dont have yet such as a swivel monitor (which is really cool) Things like the rechargable battery being charged by you winding it is even cooler. To be honest I dont want to take computers from these kids but I can't help but want one for myself (really bad). I was wondering if they were going to make an adult version of these that arent bright neon colors. I would sooooo buy one if it came with some high end proceccors and a good video card. Actually I would even buy it the way it is now (even with the neon colors). They are just too cool.I think that you can buy them, but I'm not sure.

Edit: And I think that if you buy one, you have to pay for another one to go to a kid somewhere.

Lambert
October 4th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I think that you can buy them, but I'm not sure.

Edit: And I think that if you buy one, you have to pay for another one to go to a kid somewhere.

I remember reading an article recently on this also. Something that was planned to happen later and they are going to start it now.

Not sure if this is just north america

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14598/53/

Paqman
October 4th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I would sooooo buy one if it came with some high end proceccors and a good video card.

That would go against some major design principles of the project (eg: low cost, low power use) So I really wouldn't expect to see it happening.

Also, you're aware that it has no hard drive and only 1GB of storage? It has some neat tricks up it's sleeve (like mesh networks) but it's a pale shadow of a proper laptop.

jrharvey
October 4th, 2007, 03:55 PM
yes I understand this about the storage and the processor. I was thinking more about the size of the thing and maybe the other features. I really like the idea of using flash memory instead of a hard drive. They do make an 80 gig flash drive but it is super expensive (like $6000) I was thinking more around the lines of maybe 6G or something like that. I just thought it would be cool to have a laptop that is strong, small, cheap and powered with a windy thingy (excuse my crude description).

n3tfury
October 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM
sorry, no crank on the production version

Celegorm
October 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM
They are offering a "get 1 give 1" deal on November 12. You pay for two, get one, and the other goes to a kid somewhere. http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7776628038.html