PDA

View Full Version : Programming text-based game(s)

Visti
October 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Hi, I am going to try my hand at programming and I have decided to start out with a passion of mine. Text-based games. I will however be incorporating a combat system of sorts and not just the standard Amiga Excalibur-kinda games.

Which language would be best suited for this? I was looking at MUDs, which are normally coded in C, but this seems a bit overkill for a singleplayer game, no? I'm strongly considering Python at the moment. And other inputs?

pmasiar
October 4th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Python is very good choice.

I hacked together simple text-based adventure engine in less than 100 lines of code. I should release it one of these days...

Visti
October 5th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Wow, I would love to take a look at that!

Well, then Python it is. I probably need to get some books or something, then..

LaRoza
October 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Well, then Python it is. I probably need to get some books or something, then..

Use my wiki (in my sig) or pmasiar's for learning, don't spend money when up-to-date and easier to obtain information is free.

ynnhoj
October 5th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Use my wiki (in my sig) or pmasiar's for learning, don't spend money when up-to-date and easier to obtain information is free.
what's so wrong with books..? i'd rather have all the information in one place, instead of having to sift through a patchwork of different sites/wikis (which, in many cases, link to even more sites.. and are authored by a bunch of different people who haven't bothered to build their tutorials and lessons in similar fashions). it gets hard to follow after a while.

pmasiar
October 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
The only Python book you really want to buy is $10 "Python pocket reference". Everything else is optional. But if you can afford it, please do buy books: publishers like O'Reilly do evaluate language potential by how much books they can sell, that's why in their twisted metrics, java is the most popular language. Java is most profitable for publishers, I don't argue about that (I spent more money on Java books than on Python books, sadly - because so many greak Python books are free online), but Java certainly is NOT most fun to hack.

So yes, by all means, go buy books. O'Reilly's "Learning Python" is great one.