PDA

View Full Version : WINE is out of its mind !!

daejavu
August 13th, 2005, 08:59 PM
yo

as always im in problem ...
i downloaded wine from Synaptic and installed it .. tried a game as a test (War Craft 3) .. installation went fine and then the game didnt ran .. it failed .. after that when i tried again from another game (Falcon 4) it again did the same thing .. now when i run wine by typing winecfg or even try to run a prog it crashes the whole system .

what happens is that after execution the screen goes blank .. i can hear xmms runnin songs but the screen is blank .. i can even access the console i.e. ctrl+alt+F2 etc .. they are also blank .. i have to restart my system .

i uninstalled wine from synaptic and installed it again ... but still the same thing happens !! what to do ?

Ubunted
August 13th, 2005, 09:18 PM
WINE isn't perfect. It isn't designed to run games, only desktop applications. Try Cedega if you want games.

daejavu
August 13th, 2005, 09:24 PM
yeah i know that .. but before this i was playing games in it (not perfect offcourse) ,.,, but still it showed me the interfaces of all of emm atleast !!

Brunellus
August 13th, 2005, 09:51 PM
yeah i know that .. but before this i was playing games in it (not perfect offcourse) ,.,, but still it showed me the interfaces of all of emm atleast !!
somewhere on the internet there are lists of games known to run under wine and/or cedega. Check agaisnt those lists. WINE isn't perfect, so don't expect any old software to run on it just like that...

crane
August 14th, 2005, 04:21 AM
yo

as always im in problem ...
i downloaded wine from Synaptic and installed it .. tried a game as a test (War Craft 3) .. installation went fine and then the game didnt ran .. it failed .. after that when i tried again from another game (Falcon 4) it again did the same thing .. now when i run wine by typing winecfg or even try to run a prog it crashes the whole system .

what happens is that after execution the screen goes blank .. i can hear xmms runnin songs but the screen is blank .. i can even access the console i.e. ctrl+alt+F2 etc .. they are also blank .. i have to restart my system .

i uninstalled wine from synaptic and installed it again ... but still the same thing happens !! what to do ?

This could be a shot in the dark but maybe try running an older version of wine? I had to run an older version of wine to play Call of Duty.

bjweeks
August 14th, 2005, 08:50 AM
You need to use Cedega if you dont want to pay then compile winex form cvs.

daejavu
August 14th, 2005, 02:16 PM
how do i get WineX from CVS ? :-?

Hanj
August 14th, 2005, 02:38 PM
how do i get WineX from CVS ?
clicky (http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=45)

TravisNewman
August 15th, 2005, 04:03 AM
http://frankscorner.org/

No, you don't NEED cedega to do it, but it does help