PDA

View Full Version : Am I the onl one that embraces geekiness but hates geek culture?

rouge568
October 4th, 2007, 01:33 AM
So I decided to go to my school's techmasters meeting today, because I heard they only had one linux user and needed more. I got there, found everybody pretty normal, and sat down wile they went through the workorder for student support. Fairly normal, I I started thinking that I might be of some use. Then people started getting computers out. I did likewise, because hey - this is what we're here for, right? Helping diagnostics and furthering our hobbies. Wrong. The guy next to me leaned over and asked if I was using feisty and if I had wine installed. Yes, of course I have wine installed. "Oh," he says, "Guess what! Starcraft works on wine!"
What the hell? I sat there for a second. "That's great..." I decided that this guy was not worth the trouble, and looked to my right to see about 10 people cheering this guy on in one of the way too many mario games. While humming the theme. It was then that I knew that techmasters really didn't need another linux user; all the people at this school use windows or macs anyways. I left, slightly shaken and with less hope in humanity.
Apparently, from my experience, this problem is widespread. Everybody who uses computers are immersed in geek culture. You know what I mean by that - games, leet (or whatever), group fantasies (taken seriously), etc. The way I see it, computers are things that I use, not things that use me. I learned linux because I want to have access to this powerful tool that's at my disposal. I don't game. I don't obsess. Am I also alone?

ryno519
October 4th, 2007, 01:37 AM
A tad melodramatic, perhaps.

rouge568
October 4th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Perhaps.

But in all seriousness, it's a mild depression to see that all these people are wasting their lives playing games, etc. I swear its like a drug. I heard a very good quote once: "Our world is more and more high-tech, low-touch." These people never get outside and smell the roses.

fwojciec
October 4th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I don't game. I don't obsess. Am I also alone?
Yep, you're alone.
[walks away humming mario theme]

Adam_GUI
October 4th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I'm one to play games myself. But if I show up for a meeting for tech support and application discussion, you better believe games would be far down on the list.

Sure, games are fun and all, but when around other people you concentrate on the issue at hand.

If they want to do gaming, they should have waited until the end, or held a separate gaming meeting.

yabbadabbadont
October 4th, 2007, 02:02 AM
But in all seriousness, it's a mild depression to see that all these people are wasting their lives playing games, etc.

Two things. First, who are you to decide that they "are wasting their lives"? They could very easily say the same about you. ;) Second, even if they were, it is their life to waste.

Fbot1
October 4th, 2007, 02:03 AM
So I decided to go to my school's techmasters meeting today, because I heard they only had one linux user and needed more. I got there, found everybody pretty normal, and sat down wile they went through the workorder for student support. Fairly normal, I I started thinking that I might be of some use. Then people started getting computers out. I did likewise, because hey - this is what we're here for, right? Helping diagnostics and furthering our hobbies. Wrong. The guy next to me leaned over and asked if I was using feisty and if I had wine installed. Yes, of course I have wine installed. "Oh," he says, "Guess what! Starcraft works on wine!"
What the hell? I sat there for a second. "That's great..." I decided that this guy was not worth the trouble, and looked to my right to see about 10 people cheering this guy on in one of the way too many mario games. While humming the theme. It was then that I knew that techmasters really didn't need another linux user; all the people at this school use windows or macs anyways. I left, slightly shaken and with less hope in humanity.
Apparently, from my experience, this problem is widespread. Everybody who uses computers are immersed in geek culture. You know what I mean by that - games, leet (or whatever), group fantasies (taken seriously), etc. The way I see it, computers are things that I use, not things that use me. I learned linux because I want to have access to this powerful tool that's at my disposal. I don't game. I don't obsess. Am I also alone?

Well gee, it's been like this for quite a while. It's kind of said that you just figured this out.

I heard a very good quote once: "Our world is more and more high-tech, low-touch." These people never get outside and smell the roses.

Of course not, that's lame.

rouge568
October 4th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Two things. First, who are you to decide that they "are wasting their lives"? They could very easily say the same about you. ;) Second, even if they were, it is their life to waste.
I guess it is about perspective. I just think that getting to know people, traveling the world, and seeking understandings are "more noble quests (that sounds really weird). I just can't see people having their life on a game. It just seems like such a waste of talent.

Well gee, it's been like this for quite a while. It's kind of said that you just figured this out.

I just though that it was isolated to online: I've never been to such a gathering of tech people and was expecting talks about the development of the email system or something. Needless to say, it was a shock and blow.

Acglaphotis
October 4th, 2007, 02:39 AM
These people never get outside and smell the roses.
<sarcasm>

Yeah, the world is certainly beautiful.

</sarcasm>

In all seriousness, why is this so upsetting? I don't "waste" my life. I play games. It's fun. So what if people likes to hum the Mario theme?

it's a mild depression to see that all these people are wasting their lives playing games, etc. I swear its like a drug.

Mr.Thompson, is that you? (http://www.google.co.ve/search?q=Jack+Thompson&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Seriously. Wasting their lives playing games?, so people who play chess are wasting their lives? people who develop these "life-wasters" are wasting their lives too? So everyone who plays game are just depleting precious oxygen?

Dude, stop the drama.

tbroderick
October 4th, 2007, 02:42 AM
These people never get outside and smell the roses.

That's what wi-fi is for. :)

Ripfox
October 4th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Yep, you're alone.
[walks away humming mario theme]

Haha good one.

Incense
October 4th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Hmmm... I think the Mario Bros theme is my ring tone. I don't know, I think linux represents geek culture far more then starcraft does, but I don't really see anything wrong with either one. Then again, I'm a HG2G fan, so maybe I'm that guy that you'd walk away from. This may be a good time for an SEP field.

macogw
October 4th, 2007, 03:14 AM
To that:

"Humans think that they're smarter than dolphins because they've developed war, the atom bomb, and culture, while all dolphins do is swim around all day and have sex. Dolphins think that they're smarter than humans for the exact same reasons."
From "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish"

I need to look up that quote. I keep seeing different versions...

rouge568
October 4th, 2007, 03:14 AM
No, I do not think that people that are immersed are a waste of time or oxygen, I think that their time playing games is a waste. As to chess, it is analogue. It is an activity that you do with someone else, face to face, having a conversation. It is not about the game as much as about the person you are playing. I do think that professional chess is obsessive.

I suppose that an online community wasn't the best place to pose this question.

Hortinstein
October 4th, 2007, 03:51 AM
your post sounds kind of odd to me. You chose to attend something with a lot of people that probably share the same interests, and you can't generalize all geeks and nerds as the same. Sure you might be interested in the more productive side of being computer literate, but that is no excuse to elevate yourself above other people that chose to enjoy another aspect of being nerdy.

I am a Computer Science major, whose also in a fraternity and in the Air Force. These are all pretty different areas, but I find myself mroe of a well balanced individual due to the diverse amount of people I surround myself with. Sure it can be irritating not getting what you expect, but it sounds like you were kind of the new guy there on their turf.

I think 'geek culture' is kind of being blurred as people's lives get more intertwined with the interet, and gaming, social networking, among other former geeky things become more mainstream.

Incense
October 4th, 2007, 04:03 AM
To that:

Cheers!

blithen
October 4th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I'm one to play games myself. But if I show up for a meeting for tech support and application discussion, you better believe games would be far down on the list.

Sure, games are fun and all, but when around other people you concentrate on the issue at hand.

If they want to do gaming, they should have waited until the end, or held a separate gaming meeting.
I agree with you. If I go to a tech support meaning, the last thing on my mind would be games.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 4th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Good Lord, they're playing Starcraft? Get away from there. As fast as possible. :P

Frak
October 4th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Wow, I feel bad now :(

I am an IT manager, I work for a school. I have a spare computer behind my desk that I use for testing Linux/Unix distro's when I have nothing to do (90% of the time) and when the other two Tech's and the Server Manager join me in a meeting, we usually talk about gaming, the latest release of Ubuntu, PCLOS, Gentoo, etc., or the latest computer we just bought.
Why? Because we have alot of time on our hands. Why? Not much to manage. Why? Small school.

You run out of things to do fast.

Hobbies while skipping work include, but are not limited to:
Constructing CD's and DVD's as a great reflector
Shining Laser Pen's into other Tech's eyes while doing work <--- Classic :)
Sniffing Thermal Paste
Throwing ATi Cards against a brick wall in the back of my office, and
Monitor Chunking

Incense
October 4th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Sniffing Thermal Paste

:lolflag:

yabbadabbadont
October 4th, 2007, 06:37 AM
To that:

That is one of my favorite quotes from the Guide. Douglas Adams will never truly be gone as long as someone keeps quoting his wonderful humor. :D

(Hmmm... I wonder if the OP works for the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation? :twisted:)

Warren Watts
October 4th, 2007, 07:07 AM
These people never get outside and smell the roses.I went outside once. The graphics weren't all that great..... :lolflag:

Seriously though, I know what you mean. I work as a DSL tech support agent for a major Broadband DSL provider, and most of not all of my fellow employees are deeply immersed in gaming culture. It's not unlikely to walk down the aisle and hear something like:
"And then the troll jumped out from behind a rock, and I jumped off my horse and killed him with my sword! Then a fighter appeared, and I used a freeze spell to immoblize him, etc...."

Sheesh.. get a life people.

On the other hand, I have had several very interesting conversations with fellow Linux users, discussing things like server security and alternative desktop environments, etc. So Iguess you have to take the good with the bad.

yabbadabbadont
October 4th, 2007, 07:25 PM
On the other hand, I have had several very interesting conversations with fellow Linux users, discussing things like server security and alternative desktop environments, etc. So Iguess you have to take the good with the bad.

As I said earlier to the OP, they probably say the same thing about you... ;)

Dimitriid
October 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I guess it is about perspective. I just think that getting to know people, traveling the world, and seeking understandings are "more noble quests (that sounds really weird). I just can't see people having their life on a game. It just seems like such a waste of talent.

You can't decide what's more noble based on your own flawed moral compass. Thats always the case with moral value judgments. Lives, any lives, are as worthless or as meaningful as you want cause in essence that is an atrribute they do not posses. Anything that might happen during your life is pretty much a meaningless series of random events and you might as well make the most of them and try to keep your brain chemistry balanced so its more enjoyable ( by seeking "meaning" "faith" or whatever it might be ) but let others do whatever they want to achieve the same if they so wish to, its their right to do so as long as they do not actively seek to interfere with them, as you are doing.

Acglaphotis
October 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
You can't decide what's more noble based on your own flawed moral compass. Thats always the case with moral value judgments. Lives, any lives, are as worthless or as meaningful as you want cause in essence that is an atrribute they do not posses. Anything that might happen during your life is pretty much a meaningless series of random events and you might as well make the most of them and try to keep your brain chemistry balanced so its more enjoyable ( by seeking "meaning" "faith" or whatever it might be ) but let others do whatever they want to achieve the same if they so wish to, its their right to do so as long as they do not actively seek to interfere with them, as you are doing.

You nailed it.

ticopelp
October 4th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I don't embrace a lot of that stuff either, mostly because I've done it (I used to be an obsessive gamer) and I've gone on to other things that interest me more. But if other people are enjoying what they do, more power to them.

To be honest, your post makes you sound like a misanthrope and a bit of a judgmental snob. And if your "faith in humanity" is shaken by someone trying to strike up a conversation with you and watching people play Mario, you're going to have a hell of a hard time in this life.

weatherman
October 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Personally I think that some gaming and some occasional talk about the latest game can be fun. On the other hand at university I met people who spent their lunch telling everybody what progress they had made in some game the day before and what strategy they had for the next gaming session; I didn't make many friends among those people.

rouge568
October 4th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Thank you for your insight. Though I do not think I am trying to interfere with their pursuit of happiness, I do see your point, and hope that I have taken it.
So, in a fresh look, I would like to reiterate my original question:

Anyone out there who doesn't like gaming?

derekr44
October 4th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I despise generalists and elitists.

This type of generalization is the same reason why people see *nix users as smelly nerds, Mac users as "chic hippies" and Windows users as "fat office geeks" all for nothing more than being the victims of bad jokes and poor judgment.

I am a geek
I am a gamer
I am married to a gorgeous blonde, former gymnast
I have two boys and am planning for a third in about a year
I have a successful career
I own a house with a pool
I play hockey
I enjoy woodworking
I don't go to tech meetings because I spend time with my family
But if the occasional discussion about a game comes up, I will most likely be a part of it because it's a fun hobby

So don't come around with the generalization that gamers/geeks need to get out and smell the roses. Perhaps you don't realize that they cultivate their own garden of roses and don't need to follow your "standards" on what is a fulfilling and beautiful life.

Dimitriid
October 4th, 2007, 11:42 PM
So, in a fresh look, I would like to reiterate my original question:

This is gonna sound but I have to say it: Girls. :lolflag:

n3tfury
October 4th, 2007, 11:58 PM
dimitriid owned this thread. it can be closed now, thx.

ticopelp
October 5th, 2007, 12:23 AM
This is gonna sound but I have to say it: Girls. :lolflag:

Gonna sound what?

A popular cliche that's not actually true. When i was playing WoW a little under half the play group was girls -- and yes, verified real girls, not the equally hoary cliche of fat 50 year old men playing girls (although we had a couple of those too).

Incense
October 5th, 2007, 12:30 AM
From my experience, girls really like the Wii. At least all of girls in my family do.

misha680
October 5th, 2007, 06:00 AM

I don't, can't play them; used to a long time ago (15 yrs ago maybe) but don't have any interest anymore. I think for me playing with Ubuntu (reading these forums) and also doing open source coding (mainly with wine getting it to work with an app I need for work/school) is kinda like my "game." Don't know, I can't really do things with my free time if they ultimately don't seem to have a "goal" (well, that's not true, I do watch movies sometimes), but I guess ultimately it is people's choice. I do wish there were more people into nerd culture and coding who weren't into games. However, it is ultimately their choice. I just honestly can't really relate to gamers very well because for me honestly I feel like I "grew out of it" so to speak (but when I used to do it it was in fact quite fun and I can certainly appreciate why people like to play them).

So basically, for me coding is my "game." Not really sure which of the two, coding for relaxation/entertainment or gaming for relaxation/entertainment, is "nerdier" though ;)

Misha

macogw
October 5th, 2007, 06:35 AM
From my experience, girls really like the Wii. At least all of girls in my family do.

I like the Wii. Nintendo realized that memorizing what 15 different tiny buttons do doesn't add to "fun," and "fun" is what makes people get games. I will take a fun game with bad graphics (Super Mario Brother FTW!) over a stupid shoot 'em up game with zomgsoamazing graphics any day.

Mostly I just do sudoku, mahjong, solitaire, mines... when I play games. I prefer IRC.

santiagoward2000
October 5th, 2007, 06:38 AM
You Are Not Alone!!

Ripfox
October 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Wow, I feel bad now :(

I am an IT manager, I work for a school. I have a spare computer behind my desk that I use for testing Linux/Unix distro's when I have nothing to do (90% of the time) and when the other two Tech's and the Server Manager join me in a meeting, we usually talk about gaming, the latest release of Ubuntu, PCLOS, Gentoo, etc., or the latest computer we just bought.
Why? Because we have alot of time on our hands. Why? Not much to manage. Why? Small school.

You run out of things to do fast.

Hobbies while skipping work include, but are not limited to:
Constructing CD's and DVD's as a great reflector
Shining Laser Pen's into other Tech's eyes while doing work <--- Classic :)
Sniffing Thermal Paste
Throwing ATi Cards against a brick wall in the back of my office, and
Monitor Chunking

God I want your job.

iPower
October 6th, 2007, 12:10 AM
outside is what you use webcams for :P

Frak
October 6th, 2007, 12:16 AM
outside is what you use webcams for :P
"This is a tree, it smells like pure O2, disregarding its possible isotopes O-17 and O-18..."